Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

For the real pilots...

Gregg556 Guest

Hi I have a few real life avaition questions for the pilots on this forum...

Are emergencey landings pretty common? What are the procedures for an engine failiure because you seem to hear of quite alot of these but almost all the time the plane still manages to land fine... how is this done?

What are the procedures for a hydraulic failure?

Do planes always land with FULL flaps?

How many knots are in mph?

What is the shortest runway a boeing 747 can land on?

Thanks!

Jamie4590 Guest

I knot = 1.15mph

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Gregg556 wrote:

Hi I have a few real life avaition questions for the pilots on this forum...

Are emergencey landings pretty common? What are the procedures for an engine failiure because you seem to hear of quite alot of these but almost all the time the plane still manages to land fine... how is this done?

No they aren't that common compared to the amount of aviation traffic around. Major airports can probably expect to see some emergencies, maybe at least one a week. For an engine failure, pilots will try to find the problem and possibly try and restart the engine. Obviously if they had to shut it down due to engine data irregularity then they won't restart it. After that, rudder trim will probably be applied to counterbalance the severe assymetric thrust. The aircraft will declare a mayday and divert to the nearest possible runway that is viable.

Gregg556 wrote:

What are the procedures for a hydraulic failure?

It depends on the aircraft.

Gregg556 wrote:

Do planes always land with FULL flaps?

No, not always but yes most of the time they will. Its the only way you can achieve a low enough speed for touchdown.

Gregg556 wrote:

How many knots are in mph?

1 mile/hour (mph) = 0.868 976 242 knot
1 knot = 1.150 779 448 mile/hour (mph)

Gregg556 wrote:

What is the shortest runway a boeing 747 can land on?

It depends on the model, the weight, the atmospheric conditions and weather etc but around 6000ft is the standard minimum I believe.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Arrow A loaded 747 needs between 3000 and 3500 meters of runway to take off. Not sure about landing

Arrow 1 mph = 0.868976242 knots

Don Wood Guest

1. Engine failures are much less common with jet engines than with reciprocating engines and the more modern reciprocating engines (last 30-40 years) are much more reliable than older ones were. Engine failures were very common in the period before 1950. Procedures for an engine failure vary with the kind of aircraft being flown. On multi-engine jets, a restart is attempted but if not successful, there is still plenty of power. On my C-172, the sudden quiet signals a major emergency and you are going to land very soon, one way or another. On a light twin, an engine failure can be handled fairly easily if the correct procedures are used but many, many twin pilots get rusty in engine-out procedures and an engine failure often results in a crash. There are also many other things that can trigger an emergency landing. Everything from major instrument failure to crew incapacity or an ill passenger to an unruly passenger and many more.

2. Hydraulic failure procedures also vary by type of aircraft. In can be a little as hand-cranking the landing gear down or as major as the United Air Lines Sioux City crash where the pilots flew without hydraulics, using only differntial engine power to arrive at the airport before finally losing it on final. That, by the way, is the single best piece of flying I have seen in my long lifetime and those pilots did not recieve anywhere near the public recognition they deserved.

3. No, planes do not always land with full flaps. I am not familiar with airline procedures so I cannot answer in that regard, however, in the aircraft I have flown (light and medium singles and light twins) full flaps are not recemmended for landing in moderate to heavy wind and no flaps are sometimes required to avoid wind upsets.

4. Already answered; and 5. I don't know.