SearchSearch 

IM

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Anyone know of an instant messaging client with real simplicity.

I mean no audio/video clip support. No emoticons, sounds, connections to my browser or email client. No chat function, file transfer or other useless features.

All I want is a simple window where I can see what has be typed and a way to list who I will accept messages from.

Why? Because there are times IM can be useful, but I hate IM because there are people in the world with the mistaken perception that what they have to say is somehow, more important than what I am doing at the moment.

10 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The only instant messaging services I know of are Windows Messenger, MSN, Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger - all of which have the added features you don't want. However, Windows Messenger is the most basic of the above but still has the emoticons etc.

I can't find anything that is completely free of all that you have mentioned - IM services are generally adding features rather than taking them away. I'm afraid you're in the minority wanting less features.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I suppose you are right. It's like wanting a cell phone that is only a phone. Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain

I've tried trillian. It uses a lot of RAM and every time MS or AOL or Yahoo upgrade their service, you have to upgrade Trillian. It's too bad. It is rather good otherwise.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It's the best unless you want to just use ICQ, that's an old standard that I used to use and all my friends (old 🙄 adults) still use.
I find it "junks" up Windows but works well.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

When I used Linux, I used Jabber, and can set up a Jabber server easily. The only trouble is I looked a Jabber clients for windows and they have the same swiss army knife approach to things that all the other IM clients for windows have. I really wish programmers would stop trying to be cool and start being functional. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Cg, You could try MIRC or else AIM,maybe an older version. Mirc is pretty complex, and Aim has some smileys but none really if you get an older version.
MIRC
AIM

Pro Member Chief Captain

I am looking at AIM Pro which is a little bit more business oriented with encrypted messaging and less emphasis on being "cool". 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Cool!!! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

😳 🙄 😂