Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Altitude entering glideslope

Immanuel Guest

Heey..

Can anyone give me an estimation of appr. altitude when entering the glideslope??

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Read this if you want any more information:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/

2800ft is a good altitude to start at. You don't want to be too high because you'll encounter false glideslope lobes and you don't want to be too low for ground clearence.

Don Wood Guest

Jolegg's 2,800 feet recommendation has to be understood as AGL (above ground level). If you try to capture the glideslope at 2,800 feet MSL at Denver (or many other places), your aircraft will cease to be a flying machine and become a coffin.

One factor FS9 imposes that would bust a real-world checkride is the need to capture the glideslop from below. I hope they fix it in the next edition but, in the real world, you never, ever want to be below the glideslope when in proximity to granite.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Don Wood wrote:

Jolegg's 2,800 feet recommendation has to be understood as AGL (above ground level). If you try to capture the glideslope at 2,800 feet MSL at Denver (or many other places), your aircraft will cease to be a flying machine and become a coffin.

I forgot to mention that - thanks Don Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

Don Wood wrote:

One factor FS9 imposes that would bust a real-world checkride is the need to capture the glideslop from below. I hope they fix it in the next edition but, in the real world, you never, ever want to be below the glideslope when in proximity to granite.

Don, how would you know at which altitude you'd intercept the localizer? For example, lets say, generally, you can pick up the transmission at a maximum of 3000ft, but you don't know that, so you stay at 2800ft, thus ensuring eventually, you'll intercept the glidelope and follow it. If your above 3000, you'll never receive the transmission?

Do pilots know the limits of the glidelope signals?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

Don Wood wrote:

One factor FS9 imposes that would bust a real-world checkride is the need to capture the glideslop from below. I hope they fix it in the next edition but, in the real world, you never, ever want to be below the glideslope when in proximity to granite.

Don, how would you know at which altitude you'd intercept the localizer? For example, lets say, generally, you can pick up the transmission at a maximum of 3000ft, but you don't know that, so you stay at 2800ft, thus ensuring eventually, you'll intercept the glidelope and follow it. If your above 3000, you'll never receive the transmission?

Do pilots know the limits of the glidelope signals?

Approach charts have the top of the localiser beam marked clearly on them so pilots will make sure they intercept at that altitude or below.

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions