Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

very sad news just in today:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3786522a12,00.html

R.I.P

40 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

I saw that on yahoo. May he R.I.P. I really liked his shows. He was an awesome personality and helped wildlife alot.

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Sad to see him go. May he rest in eternal peace.

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

i just cant get over it!! seeen it on sky news this morning. in shock!

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

OMG!!!!!
He was like one of those people who you thought would live for ages. Sad to see him go even though he annoyed the hell out of me

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RIP Crikey!

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

I can't belive it!....................................................... Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Crying or Very sad A very brave man. Sad loss for his family.

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

at least he died doing what he loved

Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

Sad news indeed. 😞

Jamie4590 Guest

This is very sad. In the past it was reported, more than once, that he had been killed by a croc. Its a huge loss to the wildlife community. I'll remember his distinctive Aussie twang and uncompromising bravery.

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

Sad to see an icon go so early, i lived to watch his shows best wishes to his family and may he RIP.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

May Steve R.I.P.

Best wishes to his family & friends.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Crying or Very sad A very brave man.

I disagree. The operative word is foolish. Throughout his entire televison career, his trademark was unnecessarily provoking potentially dangerous animals.

I am sorry that he died, but that is what you get when your actions make a two meter stingray feel threatened.

Thanks to him, we have a whole generation that thinks there is nothing wrong with chasing and provoking wild animals.

Last edited by CrashGordon on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Captain

CG,
I agree with you in the sense that at times, he wasn't the best influence, but the man did some great things for society and wildlife in his time. He helped care for that big zoo in Australia, (the name escapes me, and internet is lagging so much today, I can't go searching for it.) I have to say, holding your 1 month baby over a croc's mouth isn't an accomplishment, but if you think about it, thousands of his viewers all over the world now have greater respect for these animals. When he was killed, his intention was not to provoke the animals, merely to learn from them. It states he was filming a documentary at the time. A result of his efforts would be extended learning for those who are negligent towards this aspect of life. Now you can have a few radicals who take his work as a reason to go out and shoot animals, then examine their insides, but the majority of people gained valuable knowledge from him. An example...

Lets say somebody is afraid of snakes. He switches on Animal Planet, and finds Steve Erwin going about this new species of snakes that is lurking in the amazon. He describes it, its dangers, its benefits, and almost everything associated with it. Now, with this newly acquired knowledge, the "somebody" who was scared, no longer has that fewer.

"What you don't know can kill you -- What you do know can only make you stronger".

That said, I do respect all of his efforts, and I hope his work is not in vain, and all his accomplishments are progressed upon.

CG, I wasn't taking a shot at you at all...Just giving my 2 cents 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

99jolegg wrote:

Crying or Very sad A very brave man.

I disagree. The operative word is foolish. Throughout his entire televison career, his trademark was unnecessarily provoking potentially dangerous animals.

I am sorry that he died, but that is what you get when your actions make a two meter stingray feel threatened.

Thanks to him, we have a whole generation that thinks there is nothing wrong with chasing and provoking wild animals.

Yes, to me, it seems a bit irresponsible to have an occupation like that, with a wife and 2 children at home. But, that said, it doesn't change the fact in my mind, that he was a brave man, after all, he did have the courage to provoke lethal animals.

Pro Member Chief Captain

CC9,

I didn't think you were taking a shot at me. 😀

"What you don't know can kill you -- What you do know can only make you stronger". This is a paraphrase of Friedrich Nietzsche, "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger".

In both versions, they are logically flawed. That which does not kill us, can leave us crippled, maimed, debillitated, or otherwise permanently worse off than we were.

What you do know can make you overlook the potential dangers. Those can, and sometimes do, kill you.

People have grown up thinking that teasing a dangerous animal so it will do something exciting on camera, is acceptable behavior. What acctually does is condition people to take unneccessary risks with their own lives (and the lives of others).

No one is all good or all bad.

Pro Member Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

But, that said, it doesn't change the fact in my mind, that he was a brave man, after all, he did have the courage to provoke lethal animals.

Provoking lethal animals is stupid, not brave. The fact that people in our society think it is brave is a good indication that as a society, we are in deep doo-doo.

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

99jolegg wrote:

But, that said, it doesn't change the fact in my mind, that he was a brave man, after all, he did have the courage to provoke lethal animals.

Provoking lethal animals is stupid, not brave. The fact that people in our society think it is brave is a good indication that as a society, we are in deep doo-doo.

Sorry, provoke was the wrong word for me to use. There was obviously a lot more to his career than pure provocation as Crosscheck noted. It wouldn't be such a popular documentary if his passion for animals wasn't clear.

Pro Member Trainee
BoeingFanatic Trainee

Sad to see him go it stinks that there won't be a crocodile hunter anymore. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Brave or foolish or passionate or whatever... the bottom line - ol' Crikey was in it for the money and the fame. Oh no, I don't hold that against him, after all that's what today's society is all about. We're just too 'comfortably numb' by now to be able to see clearly.
The huge popularity of his shows is in no way an indication of good or educational content - sensationalism, if anything comes to mind.

If the popularity and the ratings of a show or documentary (staged or genuine) is the yardstick which determines quality of content, then I guess we should all be watching The Bold and the Beautiful religiously.

Having said all that, I did find some of Crikey's shows entertaining but not very educational regarding wildlife.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

I feel that I haft to step in. The money that Steve Irwin made from the TV shows went to help protect the animals in Australia and their habitat. I admit he did do some pretty dumb stuff, but he taught a lesson. We should respect the terratorry of the animals that inhabit it. For example: Recent croc attacks in Florida. Our population is booming, we are moving into their habitat, and they have every right to defend it.
We are morning his death and viewing all the good things that he did for the world. You have no right to say that Steve Irwin was in it for the money, and that he ruined an entire generation by his stunts. Steve Irwin was a good man, he devoted his life to the environment, to protecting endangered animals, and to helping us understand more about animals. Through his research we now know more about crocs then ever before. He was put on this earth to protect the environment and that is exactly what he did. He was never in it for the money or the fame. If You think otherwise, you are in for a bumby road ahead.

While I'm on this subject, I will say one last thing about that Baby Bob incident. If you bring your four or five year old to a croc feeding, and they have never seen that before or done it, they will have nightmares and will be scared through life. That is why you must start teaching your kids about this while they are young.
You bring your new born baby home and what is the first thing you do. (if you don't have a dog, please put your animal in the dogs spot). You see how the dog will react to him/her. You all (the ones that are married and have a family) have done it, so do not deny it.

I'm at a lost for words right now. I am deeply troubled about the death of Steve Irwin.
For those of you that feel that Steve Irwin was a man that was in it for the money, shame on you. If you want to chew my head off about this message, drop me an e-mail or a PM. But do not try and make it look like Steve Irwin was a bad man on these forums. My e-mail is: railtycoon8819@yahoo.com

Pro Member Trainee
Mitchell Delaney (minicaptain) Trainee

he was a true aussie legend legend, whether u loved him or hated him and his untimely death was not just a freak accident but a worldwide tragedy. He will be missed by many people and never forgotten by anyone

this is a very tough time for his family and the nation Crying or Very sad

in honor can u plz put R.I.P S.T in your signature as a sign of respect.

As was said, dont make him look like a bad man in the forums, he was a true blue aussie legend no matter what

i still havent come to grips with what has happened. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain

Panam, nobody here is trying to insult the man. We all wish his family the best, and dread he had to go that way, but what we are merely debating is whether what he did was good or not, and why he might have done what he did. What drives a man to risk his life every day, even when he has 2 young children back home to think about. Any move he made could have hurt him, and realistically, if it hurts him, its going to hurt his family. Do you think he thought about that? Well, of course. If he's a good father he would have thought of that. So what would have made him face that risk so often? It was his source of income and fame. Are you trying to say that he didn't enjoy the spotlight, the glamour, and all the gossip about him. He must have loved it, as it made his work known.

I can see your very troubled by the loss of life, as many people are aswell. We all respect that, and are not trying to insult. Rather, we are trying to arrive at a conclusion for things we can't answer as of now.

PS: When he held his baby over the croc's mouth, I don't think he had passed 1 year of age, but I may be wrong. The fact is, he did it while the camera's were there. Why? Publicity. Thats all it is, and he's human...he wanted it like most others. No matter how brave you may think it is, the second you put your child in any risk, I will feel uneasy. Fathers all over the world, will do anything to keep their children away from such dangers, but what Steve failed to realize was that one slip of the baby's arm, and he'd be croc food.

Again, everything we say is all a matter of opinion, and we're not trying to insult anybody. I hope you take his death a little easier with time. You must realize everybody's time will eventually come, and his happened to be now.

RIP

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

RIP, but still, I think we might be exagerating a little bit. I respect steve Irwin and I am very sorry about his unfortunate death, but apparently when a plane with 200 people onboard crashes the get less attention than the death of One Personwho is more widly known.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

having watched his daytime series 'australia zoo' this summer he is certainly a great loss to wildlife and the australian economy.

in that series he was not jumping on crocs yelling 'crikey' or grabbing spiders, be was visiting other places to find new ways of looking after animals, or picking up an injured rhino.

what also becaome clear was how much money he earnt went into his zoo building fantastic little habitats for his animals and going a bit jamie oliver and buying better dinners Wink

it does seem weird as i agree, i doesn't seem like he would die from a wild animal - despite the fact it was probably ineviatable.

anyone know what his health insurance premium was?

Pro Member Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

RIP, but still, I think we might be exagerating a little bit. I respect steve Irwin and I am very sorry about his unfortunate death, but apparently when a plane with 200 people onboard crashes the get less attention than the death of One Personwho is more widly known.

hms, we don't respect Steve any more than we do all of those people who lost their lives in unfortunate incidents. We are merely debating different points of view. Its like the Kentucky crash incident. We still pray for them, but through human instinct, we wan't to get some answers.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

I have always thought if someone was going to dangle a baby over a feeding croc, who better than Steve Irwin? 😂 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

I loved to watch Steve Erwin, may he rest in peace, but this is going to far http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/12/irwin.stingrays.ap/index.html

Jamie4590 Guest

It makes you wonder who can actually do that kind of thing. Its disgraceful. I think Stingrays are lovely, graceful creatures and Steve Irwins death was a sad accident. It wasn't a conspiracy among the Stingray community. Some people really are sub-human.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

GoneGolfing wrote:

I loved to watch Steve Erwin, may he rest in peace, but this is going to far http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/09/12/irwin.stingrays.ap/index.html

Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil and stupidity walk hand in hand.

Pro Member First Officer

I watched an episode of his series today on Animal Planet,and although he might have been in danger,you have to admire his plucky approach to all things "Wild". If anything he was always enjoying himself.

Pro Member Chief Captain

violentviolet wrote:

I watched an episode of his series today on Animal Planet,and although he might have been in danger,you have to admire his plucky approach to all things "Wild". If anything he was always enjoying himself.

About as much admiration as I have for someone walking down the middle of a highway. Teasing and provoking wildlife for the sole purpose of entertaining hordes of witless couch potatoes is not on my list of admirable things.

Pro Member First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

About as much admiration as I have for someone walking down the middle of a highway. Teasing and provoking wildlife for the sole purpose of entertaining hordes of witless couch potatoes is not on my list of admirable things.

He might have teased and provoked some animals some of the time(or most of it) in your opinion,but he still did some good in respect to consrevation of other animals in Oz and beyond,and his tv shows were generally more entertaining than most programmes of that ilk, wouldn't you agree? 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

When I watch shows about animals, I want to be informed, not entertained. Also, I want to see the animals, not people.

If I want entertainment, I watch the Senate, House of Representatives or Parliament. 🙄

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

If I want entertainment, I watch the Senate, House of Representatives or Parliament. Rolling Eyes

ROFL ROFL

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

If I want entertainment, I watch the Senate, House of Representatives or Parliament. 🙄

Sleep - 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

In fairness crash, despite his idiotic antics, he did a lot for wildlife preservation and put a hell of a lot of the money he earned back into looking after wildlife. Maybe he was wanting the fame as Tailhook said - I think he wanted it for reasons other than to massage his own ego though.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

In fairness crash, despite his idiotic antics, he did a lot for wildlife preservation and put a hell of a lot of the money he earned back into looking after wildlife. Maybe he was wanting the fame as Tailhook said - I think he wanted it for reasons other than to massage his own ego though.

I don't deny that he did good things for wildlife. I am just saying that needlessly provoking wild animals is senseless.

Jamie4590 Guest

Yes crocs deserve to be left alone like any animal but they do like to rip pieces out of anyone who comes near them and have done in the past so to see Steve wrestling with one was a kind of payback.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Regarding the fact that some folks now go out to kill stingrays for revenge... can we blame them?

After all we are being told that Irwin was a 'Hero', a 'National Icon' on a daily basis. May I remind us all that this kind of rubbish is not only shoved down our throats by our beloved media, but we read the same tripe in this very forum.

Putting money back into wildlife? Wake up romantics!
Keep in mind that Irwin was a very wealthy man. Once you're in a certain league, you have basically two 'accepted' options. You either seek out tax-free havens or you take the less risky path of giving to charities and other causes.
What better way for Irwin than to channel the funds that the taxman would get back into wildlife and thus bolster his standing in the community and among his thrill-seeking fans worldwide. Bow Down