Video Card

Hi,
I currently have FS2002 and play it mainly for the fun and challenge that flying brings. My question is about what a video card is and what it exactly does. I assume that it has something to do with graphics. I need to know this because I plan on getting FSX when it comes out and I want to know if I'll need a video card for it or if I should get one to make it better. I don't really know my computer info except that it is a almost new Dell.
Could someone please clear this up for me?
Thanks

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Run http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html or go to http://www.pcpitstop.com/ and run the full scan.
They'll tell you about your computer specs so you can tell us.

If you didn't have a video card either in a socket or integrated into the motherboard you wouldn't have a picture on your monitor, it would be blank.

The better the card the better the way the sim will run and look.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Also have a look at the following link.It explains very well what a Graphic Card is. ➡

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_card

I ran the scan, what info do you need?(controllers, drives, processors, etc)

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Just give us everything, then we can see what we need. It is easier that way.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RAM-Memory,CPU-Processor,Motherboard Type,Graphics Card,Hard Drives.
These would be OK for start 😉

Ok this is about the clearest way to put these on here. The Parts are underlined with the specs next to them. Tell me if you need anything else and I'll check and see if I can find it.

-Operating system- Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
-System Model- Dell Computer Corporation Dell DE051\
-Processor- 2.53 gigahertz Intel Celeron, 16 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
-Main circuit board-Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0WF887, Bus Clock: 533 megahertz,
-Drives- 76.73 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity, 58.56 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space,
-Controllers- Standard floppy disk controller,Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers,Primary IDE Channel [Controller],Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
-Bus Adapters-Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2, Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal, Host Controller - 24D4, Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE, Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
-Memory Modules- 510 Megabytes Installed Memory, Slot 'DIMM_1' has 256 MB, Slot 'DIMM_2' has 256 MB

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I've just Googled your comp. And the info I've gathered is not very cheerful, probably a good setup for it's designed job, but for serious Flight Simulation it is lacking somewhat.

Could do with more memory, Graphics card appears to be built in, not suggestive of a high performer. Unless you have any experience inside a computer, I think it could be a costly exercise getting it upgraded.

If there is any chance of a higher spec graphics card, and more memory, then it might give you a usable flight sim.

Wait, and see what others on here can add, hope someone can find something to make matters better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

I've just Googled your comp. And the info I've gathered is not very cheerful, probably a good setup for it's designed job, but for serious Flight Simulation it is lacking somewhat.

Could do with more memory, Graphics card appears to be built in, not suggestive of a high performer. Unless you have any experience inside a computer, I think it could be a costly exercise getting it upgraded.

If there is any chance of a higher spec graphics card, and more memory, then it might give you a usable flight sim.

Wait, and see what others on here can add, hope someone can find something to make matters better.

I agree with Ken-Tel Yes

BTW and Off Topic! ...Nice new sig Ken-Tel 👍 🙂) 😉

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Thanks GM, our son visited this weekend, and was with us on my first Training Flight, took a lot of pics, and gave me copies this weekend. So will have a few changes to it in the coming weeks.

Hope you enjoy them, I loved being the subject, wish I could shed a few years, think I would have taken up flying more. The irony is, my ex-employer has one of the cheapest flying clubs in the UK, when I started working for them, it cost UK £1.00p per hour, they had 3 Tiger Moths in those days, now Cessnas and a Piper I believe.

Thanks for looking KenTel. If i was to get a video card, where exactly would I get one? Possibly just an electronics store like Best Buy? Also if I did want it, want would it exactly be called, just a video card?
Thanks

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well I call them Graphics Cards, whether that's correct, I know not! These days they come in mainly two types of fittings, AGP or PCIe, both are physically different in their slot requirements. And these two fittings again come in mainly two designs ATI or nVidia, but are made under lic by many firms.

So first, you have to find if you have a suitable slot available, and which it is, ie, AGP or PCIe. It then gets more involved, as with AGP there are again 3 designs, called x2, x4, and x8. Which refers crudely to their speed abilities x8 being the fastest. But this also brings another problem, these 3 require slightly different voltage supplies, and using the wrong one, will make your computer smell like a smoked haddock.

I think I must get to bed, just noticed the time 0130hrs. I advise you to find someone you can trust, with the required knowledge, to have a look and give you some direct information and help. As this can be very complicated for anyone without experience in computer mechanics.

Everyone here will try to advise, if that's what you want, but at the end of the day, the final decision is yours.

Och Aye, ai'm of tae bed!

Thanks I'll try to look further into it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Look at these pictures of the motherboard and the slots on them.
See which slots you have and then you can pick out the card for your machine.
If the machine is new maybe you can call Dell and see if they know what type of slots you have for a new card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well I don't know about our Guest in trouble, but I enjoyed those RM. Very interesting and enlightening. Must find some time for a brouse round that Wiki.

Thanks...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...