Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

It Has Happened.........

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

It was only a matter of time before the video surfaced. The video I am talking about is of Steve Irwin's death. This is very up setting. Some sick person has put the video on google for millions to see. I will see if I can contact google to get the video removed. I hope you will do the same.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well your not helping the cause.

Pro Member Captain
Faucett Captain

Are you sure its authentic?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

is this not the one that has lots of quiet and text explaining what is about to come and then a scarey face comes up and it screams at you?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

is this not the one that has lots of quiet and text explaining what is about to come and then a scarey face comes up and it screams at you?

Unfortunately, I came across that one too. If there was any a time for me to jump up like a little 4 year old who just saw the closet monster, it would be then. Shocked

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

He was always asking for something like this to happen really, I think he is just lucky he was killed in a painless way from the ray.. rather than being ripped in 2 by a croc or something

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

PanAmerican wrote:

It was only a matter of time before the video surfaced. The video I am talking about is of Steve Irwin's death. This is very up setting. Some sick person has put the video on google for millions to see. I will see if I can contact google to get the video removed. I hope you will do the same.

Why? What part of the truth do you find offensive (assuming the video is authentic)?

It appears we live in an era where it is fashionable to bury our heads in the sand. The news is sanitized so that people won't see the world as it really is.

Jamie4590 Guest

I have not seen the video nor will I but his manager said on tv that the vid isn't very graphic. It just shows Steve close to a stingray (but not very close) the next moment the stingray turns towards him and thats it. Its over. You dont see the barb or a pool of blood like in a Jaws film. The most disturbing thing about the vid is it shows someone dying which means to watch it would be voyeristic among other things.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Yet people post on here links to videos of air crashes and cockpit voice recordings... which is exactly the same thing but happening to people you haven't heard of..

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight wrote:

Yet people post on here links to videos of air crashes and cockpit voice recordings... which is exactly the same thing but happening to people you haven't heard of..

And, in larger numbers. For whatever reason, many people prefer to pretend death doesn't exist...except in movies and video games. Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

A very interesting question is raised here - albeit indirectly. Death and the depiction of death: Where does news stop and voyeurism start? Is it not enough to read that Steven Irwin was killed by a stingray? Does that not satisfy the legitimate human curiosity, the thirst for news?

What if I say "Steven Irwin was killed by a stingray hit to the heart"? What if I say "Steven Irwin, the well known environmentalist, was killed while swimming in treacherous waters, filled with all kinds of abominations, by a lethal, poisonous stingray attack to the heart"? Is this not sensationalism? Does it appease any curiosity, or does it excite the (innate? perverse?) thirst for blood and intimate details manifest through all time from the Colosseum to modern time reality TV?

What if we add how he gasped, how he fought, how he removed the sting, how.. how.. And finally - o all engrossing Image, we pray to thine divinity! - what if we show the video? Raw, uncut, with all the blood and gore right there. Is this news? Cutting edge journalism?

The answers are for you to find by asking yourselves "why do I want to watch this" - and any other "sensational" video. I think you will find that it has nothing to do with information, news, the first amendment, your god given right to know everything everyone does on this planet. I think you will find rather that it has to do with a facet of yourself. A facet good or bad, I don't know - you do; expose it to yourself and then decide what to do with it - you will be richer for the experience.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

PanAmerican wrote:

Why in the first place were you looking for it?

All I can say is that Steve Irwin died doing what he loved best in life, and he shall rest in peace. Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain

Voyeurism implies some form of titillation. People wanting to see for themselves, rather than relying on the reports and opinions of others who can not be guaranteed to be unbiased, is not voyeurism.

Western society has a history of shielding the public from unpleasant things. People go to their favorite resaurant never having a thought about what actually happened to get their food to their plate.

When the evening news reports a story about a mass murder, you never get shown the true horror of it.

On 9/11/2001 you never saw injured victims covered in blood on television. That wasn't because there weren't any.

Having someone tell me what happened in carefully edited/filtered text is not the same as actually letting me see what hapened and letting me decide what happened for myself.

How dare they imply that I am not capable of assessing the truth for myself, or that I can't handle it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

For whatever reason, many people prefer to pretend death doesn't exist

IT DOES EXIST!!!!!

CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Shocked

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Solotwo wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

For whatever reason, many people prefer to pretend death doesn't exist

IT DOES EXIST!!!!!

CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Shocked

Well, you think differently. Every one has their own opinions!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

AHhhh, I'm going to die someday? Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Unluckily everyone is! It is life. How you believe is your choice.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

It is one thing to shield society from unpleasantness and it is another to use sensationalism to gather ratings or, reversely, to go in search of gore to satisfy a voyeuristic urge.

For example, showing bloody victims of the 9/11 attack, news. Following said bloody victims, zooming on their wounds and asking them "how are you feeling?" - not news.

In the same vein - and on the subject - it is enough (not to mention tasteful and respectful) to report that S.I. has died, how he died and perhaps show a photo of him, while he was alive. Showing his gruesome death promotes nothing, adds nothing to the individual, the news the individual receives, or the critical ability of the individual. It does add thrill and - again - a voyeuristic pleasure, that "it happened to him and not me" and "oh how gruesome - how cool!" mix.

On the question, "should the video be available somewhere on the Internet anyway", the answer could be "yes". If people really want to see it, I suppose they may. On the other hand, I do find it disrespectful - I certainly would not want a video of myself or my loved ones getting hurt or killed circulating. If you really want to watch such a video, go sit next to the widow and then download it. Ask yourself: "Would she be ashamed, embarrassed or would she think I am actually becoming a better (or more informed) person watching this?". There you go.

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

One word sum's it up Human Curiosity, its in everyone. So what if the video is out on the internet, news media ect, would i watch it hell no, i get no kicks on watching people die.

Edit, Edit, Edit, Edit

Last edited by Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) on Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total
Madbrit Guest

Not saying the video should or should not be shown but, Steve Irwin himself said on a number of occasions that he would want the cameras to keep rolling if he was killed while filming his interactions with wildlife.

His reasoning was that it would provide an education of the dangers of dealing with wild animals to anyone that thought they could copy his skill.

So as far as respecting the person goes, watching his death would be something he would be happy for you to do.

Pro Member Chief Captain

For example, showing bloody victims of the 9/11 attack, news. Following said bloody victims, zooming on their wounds and asking them "how are you feeling?" - not news.

With that question, I agree it is not news, but reporting that these people escaped from the north or south tower and were injured when... is news.

The reason the media does not show such things is that they wish to avoid being accused of inflaming public sentiment.

That is flawed thinking. People in Australia didn't need to see the video before they started killing Sting Rays.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

cheechm wrote:

PanAmerican wrote:

Why in the first place were you looking for it?

All I can say is that Steve Irwin died doing what he loved best in life, and he shall rest in peace. Crying or Very sad

I was not looking for the video, I came across it by complete accident.

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

PanAmerican wrote:

PanAm...I am suprised at you!!

I searched Google video's and found the very link you talked about...Shoking? Revolting? Bad Taste/
All of the above. But then again,did you just see this link, or did you actually look at the film? I looked at the film.
Everyone here needs to see this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1945368730233675374&q=irwin&hl=en

Just remeber sometimes it aint what someone says, its what they did!!

Capt. Dennison

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I would like to see the original, uncut video because it could possibly reveal what really happened.

All we know is what we were told by the media. If the remotest possibility exists that anyone can profit in anyway by the footage being freely available, then it will be available.

Makes me wonder why in this case the public didn't get a chance to make up their own mind.

...oh, I see, the media didn't want to put the family of the deceased through more pain and suffering. -- Give me a break.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Nice , I'm not clicking cause i know what the vid is.

Pro Member First Officer

hms_endeavour wrote:

Nice , I'm not clicking cause i know what the vid is.

WRONG

I posted the link to what this topic was about-a video on Google of Steve irvins death--nobody has clicked it-I rather doubt the original poster of this post even looked at the link.

Here it is again

Why do I post it and urge you too look?

Because it is obvious that many of you cant handle reality, and impose self-censorship, to the point of not even looking at certain things for frqea you might see something distastful. Ya gotta stop looking at things thru rose-colored glasses--it AINT all milk and honey ( or bisquits and tea)

NOW

CLICK THE LINK

WHY? Becaus eit AINT what you think it is!

Capt. Dennison

Pro Member Chief Captain

I am really tired of that screaching video. Who ever put that screaching there should be shot. Mad

I do, however, agree that most people are wimps that can not bear to see the world as it really is.

Jami4590 Guest

There was a similar video of a car driving along a country road and all of a sudden a ghostly image appears and screams. My pa took great delight in fooling me with it and I reeled off several words of profanity when I almost had a heart attack. That pic looks like someone off The Ring. Would be scary if it had pupils.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

All these kind of Videos has been created from people with no sense of humor at all.
This creation are the lasts desperately tries to create something that probably make themselves laughing from others reactions...Poorest minds of the world... Confused

Horse

Pro Member First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

All these kind of Videos has been created from people with no sense of humor at all.
This creation are the lasts desperately tries to create something that probably make themselves laughing from others reactions...Poorest minds of the world... Confused

Horse

Well I posted what I posted because indeed it WAS NOT a video of Irwins death at all, but a hoax video.

I disagree with the reasoning behind why these type of things are posted. I think they are done to shock those who feed off of looking at death and destruction, yes a joke upon them.

I dont think those who post this stuff are poor in mind at all. I think they realize there are sicko, and just plain curious types who know that you can see virtually anything on the net, and do such to pull a joke on those who are light in the loafers.

I personally search the net for things that the wonderful NEWS shows on TV feel you should not see, like the reality of War for instance.

War is a horrible thing. Any of you here ever really watch those Religious whacko's cut the heads off of the captured soldiers or police in Iraq?
I bet very few have, and if you were to see this, you attitude about what war is about and what is happeneing there would change in a heartbeat.

Capt. Dennison

Political rant OFF

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You did very well by posting this here and i have no problem at all with you.But please allow me to have my opinion. Wink

You are 100% right about what really happens to war.
Not only to Iraq but to every country and nation had suffer from a war.
Since war turn to a show for the Media its a useful weapon for the politics to use it as they like and also to serve their own obvious purposes.