Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

CD ROM or DVD ROM

Jamie4590 Guest

Is FSX on cd rom or dvd rom? A flight sim on a dvd rom would be incredible. Everything would be enhanced and run much smoother.

Pro Member Captain
Wing-man Captain

FSX is on DVD 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

Is FSX on cd rom or dvd rom? A flight sim on a dvd rom would be incredible. Everything would be enhanced and run much smoother.

DVD-ROM, but the installation media has nothing to dowith how the program runs. The only thing that changes is the number of disks needed. Of course, that makes installing it easier.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

2 DVD's, it loads to about 14 gigs on the h/d.

Radar

Jamie4590 Guest

CrashGordon wrote:

Jamie4590 wrote:

DVD-ROM, but the installation media has nothing to dowith how the program runs. The only thing that changes is the number of disks needed. Of course, that makes installing it easier.

If it reads from the DVD ROM during flight it can render graphics and scenery much much better so it will improve how the package runs.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

Even if it was, wouldn't it be on the access time, meaning that if both your CD-ROM drive and DVD-ROM drive had the same access time it wouldn't make a difference?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Reality check. It doesn't read from the DVD-ROM during use. Everything is stored on your hard drive. Where did anyone get the idea that it did?

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

So how come you have to use disk 4 in FS2004?

Pro Member Chief Captain

So that MS knows you have a legal FS and not a copy.

Pro Member First Officer
cheechm First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

So that MS knows you have a legal FS and not a copy.

I never new that. It is interesting. So does that mean you presumably can't copy FS disc 4, otherwise it would be pointless?

Well that is the answer to all the questions in this thread. It is purely fopr legal and copyright issues. Thanks for the info CrashGordon.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Correct. The disk is specially encoded in a way normal CD-ROM burners can't do. The program looks for that data and won't work without it.

The no CD cracks modify the program so it does not require the data on disk 4.

Jamie4590 Guest

Even so the graphics look amazing for FSX and they should for such a big install. DVD's are expensive to produce but obviously cheaper than all the CD ROMs that would be needed. Titles that run the DVD ROM in game such as Medal of Honor and GTA SA show incredibly detailed graphics and much more can happen at once without causing problems.

Pro Member Trainee
Greg1138 Trainee

CrashGordon wrote:

Correct. The disk is specially encoded in a way normal CD-ROM burners can't do. The program looks for that data and won't work without it.

The no CD cracks modify the program so it does not require the data on disk 4.

This is not strictly true, since I played for several months on a 4-Disc cracked version (found on a P2P network), and it worked absolutely perfectly......

......fear not, I saw the light (belatedly, admittedly) and bought a proper one eventually......

lrcomer Guest

Guess what, its only on DVD, just found out today. I can not install it, I only have CDROM. The genuises at Microfost strike again. I just lost $50.00 bucks because they will not accept an opened software package. Beware.

Pro Member Chief Captain

lrcomer wrote:

Guess what, its only on DVD, just found out today. I can not install it, I only have CDROM. The genuises at Microfost strike again. I just lost $50.00 bucks because they will not accept an opened software package. Beware.

Which part of PCDVD printed right on the package, was difficult to understand?

Which part of DVD specified on the MS web site, was hard to comprehend?

You are blaming MS because you bought something without troubling yourself to find out what media it came on. Thinking isn't one of your strong points. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

External DVD drives are not expensive, get one.

Radar