SearchSearch 

My computer specs

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Hello guys! I was just wondering if my computer is good or not enough to play FS2004 properly. Well, that's not the exact word, but...whatever.
I really enjoy flying in FS2004, and I want to know if I can enjoy the game better. I mean, better graphics, textures, etc. As I said in the beginning I am just wondering.

Here's my computer specs:

NVIDIA GEForce FX 5600
System: 1,00 GB RAM
Two hard disks (one of them with 120 GB) the other one is not that important. 😉

18 Responses

well, for one, you should get OK performance, I've got 2GB RAM, and a FX5200, soon to be a X800 Platinum. The best way to increase framerates is to use Bi-linear filtering...then just up the textures.

Really, if you'd tell us your processor too, that'd help!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

oops, that was my reply! lol

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

I'm running a FX 5950 Ultra with 1.5GB RAM - I can set all to max with trilinear filtering, and the minmum frame rates I get are around 10FPS - I can live with that, since its only really when the clouds are dense. You should be able to set your graphics to mid-high and have no problem. RAM is important, as well as the amount of onboard memory on your GPU.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

well, for one, you should get OK performance, I've got 2GB RAM, and a FX5200, soon to be a X800 Platinum. The best way to increase framerates is to use Bi-linear filtering...then just up the textures.

I forgot about my processor, hehe Blush It's Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional.

I have a question: what is Bi-linear filtering? Can I download it or buy it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Dude, 10FPS??? U LIVE WITH THAT??? haha, you're one insane person! I dont like it when my framerates drop below 25. I would be right to assume you like to look at stuff more that you actually like to fly the planes, cause at like 10 frames, how do you land? I turned off all the cloudes too

Pro Member Chief Captain

flyaway wrote:

[...] You should be able to set your graphics to mid-high and have no problem. [...]

I'm not saying that my graphics are bad. They are very good. And I am glad to have graphics like that.
This computer has the best graphics than the others 3. And they are nicely good.

Pro Member Site Admin

Agus0404 wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

I forgot about my processor, hehe Blush It's Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional.

I have a question: what is Bi-linear filtering? Can I download it or buy it?

Bilinear filtering is basically the amount of times the frame is passed through your graphics card to remove jaggedy lines, it's also knows as anti-aliasing. When this is set to more passes (tri, quad... etc), the graphics would appear smoother and less "sharp". Flight can filter up to tri, unless you override this on your graphics card setup. In flight sim, there is not a real difference between bi-linear and tri-linear in terms of graphics, so its best to set it to bi-linear to keep the FPS up. Its not an addon, download or anything you can purchase - its a technical feature of your graphics card that FS utilizes.

Pro Member Site Admin

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Dude, 10FPS??? U LIVE WITH THAT??? haha, you're one insane person! I dont like it when my framerates drop below 25. I would be right to assume you like to look at stuff more that you actually like to fly the planes, cause at like 10 frames, how do you land? I turned off all the cloudes too

Hey, this is the mimimum I've ever seen them drop to - not often. Remember that I run Ultimate Traffic at 100% with all graphics set to max. When flying I usually get around 20FPS, but it can go all the way up to 70FPS.

Pro Member Site Admin

Agus0404 wrote:

This computer has the best graphics than the others 3.

.. the other three what? ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain

I meant the other three computers.
flyaway, when you set Ultimate Traffic to 100% it may use more memory, right?
Umm, I didn't understand what I just said, lol. I mean, if you set UT to 100% you've to have more memory so that you can really enjoy it?
And the last question: (it might be a fool question) Where can I find that technical feature (Bi-linear) of my graphics card?

Pro Member Site Admin

Well, I set UT to 100% and the memory does not fill up, but it uses more memory - yes. Having real life traffic is really great. You can go to Hardware Settings in Flight Simulator to set bi/trilinear filtering.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ok, thank you very much, flyaway. I checked my Hardware Settings and it says Bi-linear filtering. I'll leave like that.
The very last question I have, I think, is: what is 10 FPS or 20 FPS? I know that FPS stands for frame per second, but I don't exactly know what is that or what does it mean? How can I change it to 10FPS or 20FPS?
🤔 Well, it wasn't my last question. I asked three questions on this post. Unsure

Pro Member Site Admin

The FPS can change depending on what scenery is around you - aircraft, clouds... etc. If the GPU has to do more work, the FPS will be less and if it has to do less work, the FPS will be higher. The higher, the better and the faster/smoother graphics will appear. You can see what FPS you are getting by pressing CTRL+Z when running Flight Simulator.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I did press CTRL + Z but nothing happens. It just keep the attitude of the auto-pilot or something like that. I looked on the controls panel -assign key- and I found that CTRL + Z is keep the attitude of the auto-pilot. I don't remember if those are the correct words.
I tried with Shift + Z but it just tells me aircraft status, like how much fuel have, and stuff.
Maybe I should find a FPS key to assign and do it. I don't know.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Shift+Z a few (2 or 3) times together should give you two red lines of information at the top of your screen.
Your fps will be in there.
I use a "rocker" motion when I press the two of them.
Yes "Z" alone stabilizes the aircraft after autopilot.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thank you RadarMan and thank you flyaway for helping me! Finally, I found how to see FPS. It said 34. I think it's good, right? How can I change it. It's just to know.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can't just "change" it. The fps has to do with the power of your computer, your video card etc.
The higher the rate the better the flight. Most cap it at 27-30 fps.
If you drop lower you get the stutters or a slide show.
You'll notice that it'll be lower at areas where it's busy with scenery, the major airports with heavy traffic will slow it down, heavy clouds, shadows water texture turned up high.
If you can get 30 at KSEA then you are doing very good.
There is a slide (settings) that you can set to cap it if you wish, that's keep it from going too high and taking resources away from other parts of the sim.
Enjoy what you have, others would kill to get it that high.

Radar

Last edited by RadarMan on Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Site Admin

Yep, thats it - my mistake SHIFT+Z. I use it all the time 😕