SearchSearch 

More on Joysticks

I've read posts on joysticks--but still have questions (Different person than on others). Looking for 1st joystick...

1--Does "wingman" designation on Logitech mean anything good for MS FS2004?

2--On a NON cordless, what recommendations do you have?

3--Is there enough advantage for cordless to have to keep buying batteries?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

10 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Wingman is just a label on the logitech sticks, it doesn't mean anything.

All joysticks should have at least a throttle, and twisting handle for the rudder. Lots of buttons is alway nice, as is force feedback

I have a cordless, and use rechargable batteries in it as well as my cordless mouse and cordless headphones.

Thanks for your help.

Any "corded" product that anyone would recommend...?

A--Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Programmable USB Joystick??
B--Logitech Wingman force 3-d ??

Other?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

MS Sidewinder if you can find one. I use the non FF type.
Saitek is an excellent stick.

http://www.saitek.com/

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Any "corded" product that anyone would recommend...?

A--Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Programmable USB Joystick??
B--Logitech Wingman force 3-d ??

Other?

I have Logitech Extreme 3D Pro USB. For me, it is a very good joystick. I really like it. I started with that one. Maybe, in the future, I'll change it. But now, I'll keep. I can recommend that joystick to you. Really, it's a good joystick.

Pro Member Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

MS Sidewinder if you can find one. I use the non FF type.
Saitek is an excellent stick.

http://www.saitek.com

Radar

RadarMan, whick Saitek stick is better? Is X45 Flight Stick a nice joystick?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I wouldn't even guess, I've never used one, let a user tell you.
I find my old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro USB very responsive and easily programmable, actually I just left the default programs and use the keyboard.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Steeev Trainee

I use a Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, which is nice, But expensive.
My friend uses a Saitek Cyborg Force 3D, which costs less (about £50), and in his opinion has more gradual forces than MS's effort. But that may be due to the default FS9 null values.
Force is great, but I don't think FS9 would suffer greatly without it. I used to have a Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital, which was great, until my housemate spannered it playing Need For Speed, of all things!
You can pick up a Saitek Rumble Force 3D from EBay for less than a tenner I think, which is a good compromise. (3D means it has a twisty handle, and these sticks are also ambidextrous)

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

If you go for Saitek, be careful and make sure the Joystick is new and hasn't been sitting on the shelf of the store for too long ....

Reason being that some Saitek Joysticks have really bad issues with calibration of the rudder, that can lead to your plane wavering all over the runway (and I don't mean because you haven't straightened out properly!)..... It is a Driver issue - a brand new Saitek should be fine now, but I bought one and it was so bad I replaced it within a week...

I now use the same as Agus0404, the EXCELLENT Logitech 3D (Mine is the Force Feedback model)...

The Rudder control is perfect and the throttle is a novel flat based deign - I'd really recommend this Joystick......

But if you can afford it...... FORGET JOYSTICKS AND GO FOR THE CH PRODUCTS FLIGHT SIM YOKE !! It's on my wish list !

Great info, Thanks to all....

Has anyone used the FS YOKE?? Is it worth the $$?

Thanks,
Gary

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'd like to have the CH Products Flight Sim Yoke, and also the pedals.
I would buy a Yoke and the pedals in the future. Now, I want to buy Ultimate Traffic, Active Camera, and Microsoft Flight Simulator Official Strategy & Secrets Guide. That's on my wish list now.