Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

what jobs are there at an airfield?

Navi246 Guest

I was wondering what kind of jobs there are at airfields as i plan to work at an airfield. You see i wish to beome a pilot and i cannot afford it without a job. Now the only place i feel best at is at airfields and around pilots and so i had a thought about working at a place where theres aircrafts and pilots.

now i have no idea what sort of jobs they have to offer. So before i make me way there i thought i could ask you guys.

Do any of you guys now what sort of jobs they have?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Airport Environment Safety...You protect the airport with electronic(and not only-shotguns 😳 😀 )equipment from birds or other kind of animals close to airport area... ❗

Crafts polishing is a nice one too...(Kidding 😉 )

Deja Blue Guest

then theres firemen. there cool.

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

Deja Blue wrote:

they dont do mmusch though, since there arnet many emergencies or special occasions for a water salute.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I can't resist! Sorry!

Radar

Jamie4590 Guest

How about guiding aircraft on the ground with table tennis bats? A disgruntled worker could cause havoc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

One job that people often use as as a stepping stone to the cockpit is Aircraft Dispatcher. It requires training and a FAA certificate but the training is about about 5 weeks and costs about $5000. You have to be 23 years old. It requires much of the same knowledge required for pilots. You can then apply with an airline. Dispatchers compile the flight plans for commercial flight. Dispatchers ensure that the weather, fuel load and runway requirements are all legal. 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_dispatcher
http://www.fltdisp.com/Home/tabid/160/Default.aspx

Jamie4590 Guest

I used to be a 999 emergency operator which although stressful was very enjoyable. I've often thought of applying to be an air traffic controller for either commercial airports or the RAF. Senior ATC's can earn top salaries because the job carries huge responsibilities and you would get to know many pilots. I sometimes dance with Mary Jane though and I don't think the two would mix very well.

Pro Member Trainee
n9xv Trainee

"Line service". Fuel em up and wash & wax, clean interiors etc.

Pro Member First Officer
Charlie10 First Officer

I started out with janitorial duties, fueling aircraft, shoveling snow, mowing runways with a tractor, weeding the flower garden, killing the gophers and filling in their holes, picking up stones and glass from the runways, pounding in fence posts, copying the weather on the low frequency radio, teaching ground school, operating the Unicom, logging the aircraft activity, fueling the oil stove for the night, feeding the cat that kept the mice out of the hangar, etc. I was 11 when I started working at the airport.

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

Charlie10 wrote:

I started out with janitorial duties, fueling aircraft, shoveling snow, mowing runways with a tractor, weeding the flower garden, killing the gophers and filling in their holes, picking up stones and glass from the runways, pounding in fence posts, copying the weather on the low frequency radio, teaching ground school, operating the Unicom, logging the aircraft activity, fueling the oil stove for the night, feeding the cat that kept the mice out of the hangar, etc. I was 11 when I started working at the airport.

it doesnt count when the airport you work at is made of legos, dude.

sorry, i couldn't resist 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

n9xv wrote:

"Line service". Fuel em up and wash & wax, clean interiors etc.

A.K.A. "Ramp Rat" 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

earthqu8kes wrote:

Deja Blue wrote:

they dont do mmusch though, since there arnet many emergencies or special occasions for a water salute.

actually most airport fire stations are also called during accidents or fires in " their " district, they dont just go to fires on a airport. they are a regular fire department, " In Most Cases " some large cities have enough departments and stations that they do not realy on airport emergency services, like i said large cities like Atlanta, Chicago, L.A., N.Y. do not need airport emergency services unless a fire or something has gotten out of hand.

also you can be an air traffic controller without a college background, you just need your highschool diploma, and a clear voice.