Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

XP Home or Pro?

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

really, whats the difference. Ive heard of people upgrading their new computers from home to pro, but they never say why so im wondering if someone can help me out here. Cheers

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Unless you asre running a business or require a lot of network features, don't bother...especially just over 3 months from the release of Vista.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

cheers CrashGordan

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Like Crash says, why bother with Vista arriving soon. But I have found one item which could make me want XP Pro recently, that's if Vista is a big mess. And the item that XP Pro has, is the ability to run Virtual PC, which sadly I've recently found does not work on XP Home.

I wanted to install Vista RC1 in a Virtual Computer, on my computer, which would prevent any nastie interactions between the two OSes, being run on one computer. Can't do it!

Yes, I know about dual-booting, that's why I wanted to do it this way. I did initially set it up as dual-booting, but had many problems. Didn't dare run any Virus Scans, or anything that would access the Vista install, first error I made, left computer running overnight, doing a complete defrag, yes it takes a while with over 800Gb of HD space, following morning, hadn't thought, it had defragged the Vista install, which would then no longer operate.

So at present I have a spare 250Gb drive, with Vista installed, which I manually connect/disconnect as and when I want to use Vista. No not difficult, with SATA2 and my Mobo having two external sockets for SATA HDs to plug in.

EOS.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

seeing as im extremely poor (-$800) to my parent from getting a new pc, I dont think ill be getting vista for a good while yet. Maybe Ill never get it on this pc and just get a computer with it already installed in a few years 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Save your money to upgrade your PC for Blista

Here is a page summarising the differences

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

lol theres absolutely nothing on xp i want...
how much ram does vista use again? 512 or 1GB?

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well Pro is certainly an improvement on Home, and if Vista doesn't work out, then Pro looks the next best thing.
Reading between the lines, it seems maybe that Pro also makes better use of Dual-Core cpus, another plus for me. I only bought my second copy of XP Home a few months back, wish now I'd bought Pro.

Pro Member Trainee
HelpsJ Trainee

brownbox wrote:

lol theres absolutely nothing on xp i want...
how much ram does vista use again? 512 or 1GB?

on the system requirements it says that its 512

this is a useful link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

if you go to evaluate your current pc and download the program there it tells you if your pc is up to it and what you have to upgrade to make the most out of it

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

HelpsJ wrote:

this is a useful link

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

if you go to evaluate your current pc and download the program there it tells you if your pc is up to it and what you have to upgrade to make the most out of it

What a great idea! Thank you 👍

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

That is only an approximation. I ran it on my spare computer, and result not suitable for Vista. Joke, it was already installed and running.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I had a look at the features page from the link provided and am still failing to see what all the fuss is about.

Most of it seems to have been copied and paste from the original marketing buzzword ridden nonsense they used for XP when it came out and added in a few extra things. Windows Aero... why is it the only example they can give of it's usefulness is that it can supply glass look windows?

Bah

Wish there was a decent alternative to MS.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

That is only an approximation. I ran it on my spare computer, and result not suitable for Vista. Joke, it was already installed and running.

Yes, there was a mention on the DL page to the effect that this was not the mature product yet and to check back later. Hence I was prepared for an approximate result only, but the recommendation that my Super Computer 😉 could only run Home Basic has left me psychologically scarred for the rest of my life.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad