SearchSearch 

Still having landing troubles

CaptainKW Guest

Still having trouble guys....

Did everything i was told, except once ATC gave me my final HDG, they didnt ask me if i had runway insight. other than that, i had ILS in NAV 1 and switched on. once the bleeping commenced i hit AP APR.....

....as soon as i did this AP APR switched off ALT and HDG and the plane started plumeting to the ground. of course i never let it hit the ground and i bought it back up and hit the AP APR again, (by now pissed off that my whole flight was yet again riuned by my awful approach and landing sequence). I bought it back up and hit the AP APR again and this time, progress, i thought, it started turning towards the runway.....but at the most outrageous angle ever and i knew something was still not right. the nose was constantly pointing up and i cudnt see the runway untill i switched views and realised the runway was about a mile behind us...we had gone right over it.

I know its no one, except my own, fault for my lack of knowledge in approach and landing. and i know i can save my flight before the end so i can keep going back and trying BUT im sick of crashing and wasting 20minutes on an almost perfect flight until apr!! its so frustrating if anything. Taxi till final hdg are seemingly effortless. then it comes to apr and all hell breaks loose. i dont understand. can someone plz tell me what im doing wrong. this is a rundown on what i did after my final hdg was given to me by ATC.

I switched NAV 1 on with the runway ILS in it.

Waited untill bleeping started and hit the apr button.

*thats wen all hell broke loose and i get so annoyed i dont wana play anymore!!!*

15 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Don't wait until the outer markers starts beeping at you. You should be at a certain altitude, something around 3000 feet or less depending on the airports altitude and be setup at the proper heading and altitude quite a few miles from the airport. You have to intercept the glideslope from below for it to work. Also are you setting up the proper course on your navigation? Also what plane are you using, that might help.

It takes a lil while and some patience to figure it out. Around 8 months or so ago I started in FS9 again after not using any Flight simulator since FS2000 or something like that. Back then I just flew around and never did anything proper. Then I slowly started out with FS9, with simple planes. Took me FOREVER to do a proper ILS landing, it takes awhile, just like flying in real life. Just keep at it, find a certain airport with ILS, take one of the cessna's, and practice, practice, practice, and then if you think you got it, practice some more.

I'm not the best at helping but I'm sure the typical few will chime in here eventually, but for now its 3:30am and I need sleep.

CaptainKW Guest

Ok....im using a Baron. I dont understand how im meant to set up the Navigation system right. can someone plz take 5 mins to hop into a Baron and explain how i set up the navigation system correctly for an ILS landing. Once im given the final HDG i have one last turn to make to be on course for the runway. i was told that AP APR makes this last turn on its own. is this true?

Im obviously not setting up Navigation correctly. Please, like i said, can i have instructions on how to set up the perfect ILS landing in a baron, before i move onto anything else im bringing this bird down without scratching the painwork

CaptainKW Guest

Help me....please...i beg u gods of the air. help me bring my bird to ground with a soft bump and not nose first

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CaptainKW wrote:

Help me....please...i beg u gods of the air. help me bring my bird to ground with a soft bump and not nose first

A have a great tip that works for everyone here...Simple and clear

PRACTISE ❗ Learn from your mistakes 😉

CaptainKW Guest

i do appreciate that fact and im more than willing to be patient and practise. i love it. BUT there is no point in practising something that is wrong is there?? coz then it will always be wrong and i will never get it right.

Can anyone do a flight in a baron IFR, wen they arent busy. give me the airports and i will do the same flight. If this person can do the flight and explain everything, no matter how smaller detail, that they do as soon as they receive the last hdg from ATC. this way i will repeat and see if it works. I need everything from heights, speeds, flaps, Entering Navigation ILS...absolutely everything that happens on approach. in a baron if poss. not needed though.

I just dont understand as to y as soon as i hit AP APR it wud just fall out the sky, then completely over miss the runway.

Sorry but this is the only way i learn. the only way i did my first flight is to follow someone. then i did my first IFR by reading detailed instructions from someone. Then i tried reading the AP APR instructions but they are too vague. too much like i know what im doing. wen esstenatially....i have no clue. i just no i gotta get the heap of metal im in on the floor without killing myself 😀

Like i said its the only way to make me go away is to, give me a detailed, down to the last detailed detail account of an IFR ILS AP approach and landing. im too useless at the moment to land manually coz i just end up coming up short or too high and always on the grass or into the airport (sorry London Heathrow)

thanx people, i dont mind practising but i wana be practising the correct procedure..

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I suggest using the C-172 or Mooney Bravo but if you insist on the Barron:

Start position: Near Conroe, Texas (KCXO) Uncontrolled airport(No tower)
Set position on MAP page to coordinates below.
N30*31.16
W95*37.01
Altitude-2100 ft.
Heading 110
Speed 120 KIAS(Flaps and gear UP)

From this position(paused), select NAV 1 to 108.7(ensure it's on the active side not just preselect) with the course needle of the Horizontal Situation Indicator(HSI) on 141 degrees. GPS/NAV switch-NAV. Autopilot(AP)and Flight Director(FD) ON with HDG and ALT selected, 2100 set in AP altitude selection window. Heading bug set to 110. Throttle about 15 inches of manifold pressure.

Resume flight, select Approach mode(APR) on AP control panel. Aircraft will intercept localizer(LOC) course and turn inbound in about 2 min. When Glideslope(GS)indicator comes alive (starts to descend), select approach flaps(APR). When the GS is one dot above center, select gear down. When GS centers, select full flaps down. Fly approach at 100 KIAS using throttle to maintain proper speed. At 500 ft. MSL or above, AP off. Reduce speed to 90 KIAS and land. Say hello to Mrs. Johnson, she works at the counter inside the fixed base operator(FBO). 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_Situation_Indicator
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_base_operator

Last edited by CRJCapt on Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total
smithcorp Guest

Make sure your GPS/NAV switch ain't on GPS - that might be the problem...

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

smithcorp wrote:

Make sure your GPS/NAV switch ain't on GPS - that might be the problem...

That's a good point, I added it to my original post. Thanks Smithcorp for mentioning the GPS/NAV switch. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Just another point as well. When you enter the frequency into the NAV selector, make sure that you are actually switching the frequency over. Most plane need you to enter the frequency into NAV 2 and then flick the switch over to NAV 1.

CaptainKW Guest

Thanks u lovely people. im actually writing it all down and taking it to my computer desk!

The only problem i found is that all the guides i find and read are ones for bigger heavies. i know everything is pretty much the same but its all a bit confusing for a newbie such as me!!

I just have to have perfection. i read somewhere that the landing for a pilot is the same as a final copy of a masterpiece for an artiste!

I wud love to know what it feels like to be in complete control of an FS aircraft as it gracefully bumps gently onto the runway. unfortunately im still in the panic, close me eyes, eye and BANG down stage!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Odyssey wrote:

Just another point as well. When you enter the frequency into the NAV selector, make sure that you are actually switching the frequency over. Most plane need you to enter the frequency into NAV 2 and then flick the switch over to NAV 1.

The NAV radios have a standby and a active frequency display. You enter the frequency in the standby location and then flip it to active. It's not NAV 2, it's still just NAV 1. Both NAV radios have this active/standby feature. 🙂

CaptainKW Guest

does it become active just by pressing NAV 1 button??

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

CaptainKW wrote:

does it become active just by pressing NAV 1 button??

The NAV 1 or NAV 2 buttons at the top of the radio stack control the audio identifier sound for that radio, they have nothing to do with the frequency and also don't turn the radios on or off. The frequency switch button is a small white button under the radio frequency displays with a <--> mark. Left hand window is active, right hand side is standby. 🙂

How did you get on Captain ?

I am having similar sorts of grief with the 737 approach. I realise I am running before I can walk, but I am fine with manually landing using the PAPI but would just like to have one landing with the Autopilot doing the work.

I am flying IFR and get the last instruction to make a turn and come straight in to runway 8 (say). I have decended to 3000 and looking out the window I can see the plane is just crossing the runway intercept and doesnt make the final turn to approach. plane just keeps going. I then have to hurridly turn off AP and land myself (with a few mad correcting turns).

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong ?

am I flying too high and miss the ILS feather ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

How did you get on Captain ?
I have descended to 3000 and looking out the window I can see the plane is just crossing the runway intercept and doesn't make the final turn to approach, plane just keeps going. I then have to hurriedly turn off AP and land myself (with a few mad correcting turns). Any ideas what I could be doing wrong ? am I flying too high and miss the ILS feather ?

At 3000 feet(AGL), you want to be about 15 miles from the runway when you intercept the localizer(LOC). This will give you about 5 miles before intercepting the Glideslope(GS). In order for the autopilot(AP) to intercept the LOC, you should be in heading (HDG) mode and altitude(ALT) hold. The approach mode(APR) should also be selected. HSI needle should be set to the inbound course of the ILS. Speed should be about 170 Kts with partial flaps(15), gear up. 🙂

Note- The normal ILS will not land the aircraft. It is designed, like other approach aids, to get the aircraft to a three dimensional point from which the pilot must see the runway environment and land visually. The AP should be off no lower than 200 feet AGL. Minimum weather for normal ILS is ceiling 200 feet, visibility 1/2 mile.