SearchSearch 

Making addons

Pro Member Trainee
DanM Trainee

How do I make fs addons?

Last edited by DanM on Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Before I go hunting for links, please be more explicit.
Do you want to build, aircraft or scenery, paint, what.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
DanM Trainee

aircraft. I just want to make a basic fictional airplane before starting to get into all that fancy stuff.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Fine. Most use this. GMAX is free but much harder to use.

http://www.abacuspub.com/catalog/s610.htm

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

where can i find the gmax, and does it have insturctions? (broke atm)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

thanks

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

how do i acess gmax? it isnt in my fs9 folder or if it is i havent found it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

mossy wrote:

how do i acess gmax? it isnt in my fs9 folder or if it is i havent found it.

Insert DISK 1 and click on EXPLORE.
You should find a folder called GMAX.
Inside the folder there's an ICON that looks like a Y double click and follow instructions.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

thanks

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

agh i have found the gmax, but the tutorial isnt really helpful. i need one that goes from absolute complete basic - i have never used any software of this sort before. If anyone knows of one thier help will be much appreciated.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

umm..you're going to struggle. gmax isn't beginner friendly at all and does require some prior knowledge as every tutorial i've read has gone straight into tech jargon.

if you're reeeeeally wanting to make a plane get the package from abacus above.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

kk i will. thanks for your help

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

can u make panels in the abacus software?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

virtual cockpits yes.

you don't really need software to make panels. photoshop/psp/corel somethng for the background (can be rendered in 3D and exported to there, or mashed together from photos or drawn) and again use the program to make gauge backgrounds, needles whatevers required.

making a gauge isn't too hard as they are in xml. microsoft has specified all the xml statements in their SDK it's just piecing them together. things like 'if these two switches aren't on then this won't work' is also super simple.

making a panel config isn't hard. just specifying gauge name, position and size.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

thanks

Pro Member Trainee
neophite_404 Trainee

As a 3D artist I'm familier with GMax's big brother (3dsmax), so making the planes isn't a problem for me (mossy .. my yahoo screen name is neophite_404 say Hi and i can help you with it ...). But I'm having the darndest time getting things set up so that I can get my aircraft models into FS.

I was wondering if anyone had a link to a baby basic ... i mean 100% Barney style walkthrough on the process of taking a .gmax model and getting it + textures into FS. (Panels and Virtual cockpit are important to me, but they aren't required to get started ya know?)

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

the one that radarman reccomended before, the idiots guide exzplains this quite well i think. Thanks for your offer of help but i think ill just get the abacus software and use it until i understand the whole process much better before moving onto gmax.

Pro Member Trainee
neophite_404 Trainee

Too each their own mate 🙂. Gmax is a subset of of 3DSMAX tools so it's natural for me to perfer it. Gmax offers a LOT more control over the model than Abacus's FSDS, but then again FSDS is made to build addons to FS.

And thanks for the heads up on radarman's post. My lazy butt didn't think to look through them b/c most tutorials on this topic Only focus on the modeling.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

dont thank me thank radarman - after all he did all the hard work finding the tutorial. all i did as read it. and not understand it but thats irrevlivant lol.