Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

ILS Nightmare, could use some advise

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

Using ILS to land an aircraft seems to be a crap-shoot for me. I never know if the ILS is going to lock on for the final glide path down to the runway touchdown.
I will have ILS lock on at say 20 mi. from the runway, only to abandon me the final quarter mile, one out of five times.
I come in at 2100 to 2400 waiting for the ILS to lock on for the glide path down to the runway only to wind up at the same altitude in the middle of the airfield because nothing happened.
Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

ILS is not designed to land the aircraft. It's an approach aid that gives guidance to a three dimensional point from which the pilot must see the runway environment and land visually. The point is normally 200 ft. AGL and 1/2 mile from the runway(minimum). The exception is Auto-land. It requires a plane/panel that has this function built in. Default FS aircraft don't have Auto-land.

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

CRJCapt wrote:

ILS is not designed to land the aircraft. It's an approach aid that gives guidance to a three dimensional point from which the pilot must see the runway environment and land visually. The point is normally 200 ft. AGL and 1/2 mile from the runway(minimum). The exception is Auto-land. It requires a plane/panel that has this function built in. Default FS aircraft don't have Auto-land.

Thank you. 😀