Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

So yeah, developed a new problem in FS, yippe.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Basically what I THINK is happening is that while fs is running the memory usage just builds up, and then eventually runs out of room, and then shuts down FS. I thought I had taken care of that problem but it looks like I havent.

I have over 16gb's of freespace on my hd, and when it happens, game freezes, pop up comes up saying I'm running low on memory and that FS needs to shut down, and to run disk clean up to free more space, yet I have a ton free.

Anyone have a clue at all how to prevent that, my friend suggested a Sound card for whatever reason, and I'm thinking perhaps another harddrive or something, who knows, I have no clue. Just when I started enjoying FS all over again...damn payware addictions!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

What's the exact message and what OS are you using.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

XP.

Message pops up, says with a red icon. "You are running low on disk space and Flight Simulator needs to close, we suggest running disk cleanup to free space on your hard drive" Something to that effect.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

How long has your computer been continuously on? I've found that Window needs to be rebooted often or it builds up errors and becomes unstable. I turn my computer off every night.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Thanks Radarman, we'll see if that helps, now windows made my paging file more then twice the size it was before, gonna try doing the same flight I've been trying since friday again. Smile

And that was the exact message I was getting.

I restart my computer fresh before I start FS all the time.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

It's odd, I've never had this problem and I don't restart my computer for the purpose of running FS.

This is a thought only... you mention that you have more than 16GBs of free space. That's a lot if your HDD is small, but it's little if you have a huge HDD.
I'm saying this because many sources say that if you're using XPs default Defrag for example, it will only work properly if your HDD has at least 25% free disk space available. I haven't seen MS mentioning this ever.

I read the MS page Radarman linked you to where MS keeps referring to 'sufficient hard disk drive space' but again, they never say just how much is sufficient. (MSS=MicrosoftSpeak) Evil or Very Mad

I am curious - you're mentioning a buildup of memory. Now I don't know how you come to that conclusion, I'm not saying that you're wrong though.

On my old machine I had the 'memory problem' when running fs9, not when running FS2002 however. During flight, the landing gear would self-deploy, the kneeboard would pop up and the forward view would change to 10 o'clock all at once. If I caught it on time, I was able to retract the gear, get rid of the kneeboard and adjust my view -- but whenever I did this, I could hear my memory modules crackling and the light on the front panel of my tower blinking overtime.
The blinking would stop after a while and so did the crackling. The memory playing up outside of FS happened occasionally and in those cases by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete a pop-up would inform me that I was short of virtual memory. So I just put one and one together and what happened when running fs9 must have been the same memory problem. I never got quite to the bottom of this 'cause I upgraded but here's a quick-link anyway http://computer.howstuffworks.com/virtual-memory.htm

In conclusion and IMO it could be a drive space issue or a memory issue. I trust you've got enough memory but remember memory modules can become faulty over time. Maybe you could run a memory test first of all...? Umm...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well I have a 145gb hard drive, I'll see if I can free up some more space. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

That means you'll be needing a minumum of 36.25 gigs.

I can see your dilemma - having to decide which add-ons to uninstall Shocked

Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Haha, well I'm down to 26gb's free, dunno if I can get anymore.

Well gonna load up FS and do some short flights and work my way up hopefully.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Good luck! Thumbs Up!

Let us know how you're getting on... I love disasters Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I hate computers. Wink

Can't wait till vista comes out so I can buy a new one then.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'm not surprised your computer hits back considering the hatred it is exposed to Idea

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Run this (free) and see how much it cleans up.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Then do a full scandisk and defrag.

If you want to run a full free diagnostic go to www.pcpitstop.com it's an excellent site.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Run this (free) and see how much it cleans up.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Then do a full scandisk..

Both CCleaner and Scandisk only free up a few MBs. Nowhere near enough to 20GB which is needed to achieve 25% free disk space.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I personally know of a case where XP was up for about 2 to 3 years and it cleaned up 450mb.

I would dump the restore points and get about 4-6 gigs back, then defrag.

If he runs the pcpitstop it'll tell him how much "junk" is on his h/d.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I personally know of a case where XP was up for about 2 to 3 years and it cleaned up 450mb.

That does not surprise me, I can see that happening if the drive has has never been cleaned before. I get between 32MB and 36MB each time I run CCleaner.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well, flight 1, which was only an hour and a half was successful and ended running good, no hangups, so I'll fly back yet tonight, and then tomorrow night or something I'll try the longer flight see how it goes.

As always I always appreciate all your help guys, really go out of your way to help others.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Good to hear Cheers!

So tonight I'll be burning incense for you Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

lol, well I managed to free up a lil more space, but before deleting all the stuff I don't wanna lose I just ordered a 250gb external hard drive which I needed to get eventually anywhoo when I order a new pc soon to convert everything over. So I'll be able to throw a bunch of stuff over there and get some free space on here and properly defrag the drive for once.

BashDaBish Guest

Just to add to this.........

......Tailhook is spot on. Although nothing official, it is known that HD performance and virtual memory tend to see the free space as a ratio/percentage as opposed to physical free space.

Regarding defragmenting your HD - XP's default defrag tool does not defrag the MFT (Master File Table) which does hinder performance. There is a defrag tool called O&O Defrag http://www.oo-software.com/en/ which defrags everything and can even defrag using different methods. I have my machine defragmanted using the 'Name' method which puts files with similar folder and filename together. FS9 textures now load much, much quicker.

Problem - expensive product at $44.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

just to say ccleaner is that radarman reccomended is brilliant, i run it at least once a day and often it removes a few hundred megabytes of 'crap.'
also if you have a problem with spyware then spybot search and destroy is what you should get. its free and brilliant.
Have to agree with you about hatred of computers Mad .when they work there brilliant but 9 times out of 10 they dont...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Thats the double edged sword of pc gaming.