Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Video Card problem

Pro Member First Officer
Graham (graham05) First Officer

Hello

I just got a video card and i installed it and it works great, but every time i try to fly a emb-120 my flight sim crash's but when i fly my F1 cessna 182 everything is normal. i have only tryed those tow aircraft, but i dont think that is the problem. and when i set the resolution up higher it crash's right away. i have intalled new drivers an dit did not help. i have a NVIDIA GeForce 256 card. can somone help.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Tell us exactly what card you have.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

Tell us exactly what card you have.

Radar

ok first thanks for deleting those messages i think he did that because i am in Virtual United Airlines and he dose not like vua. (it is a problem)

that is what my video card ses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's ok, just a nut. If he comes back we'll ban his IP.

It has to have a number before the 256.
Like 6600, 7900, 7950 etc.

How much memory do you have on your machine.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

That's ok, just a nut. If he comes back we'll ban his IP.

It has to have a number before the 256.
Like 6600, 7900, 7950 etc.

How much memory do you have on your machine.

Radar

i know what you are talking about but i cant seem to find it. i have looked good.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Run this and it should tell you about your card.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

Run this and it should tell you about your card.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Radar

Under Display is sead:

NVIDIA GeForce 256 [Display adapter]
NEC LCD1545V [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n 2Y08926TA, November 2002)

is that right Question

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If one of these is your card then that's the problem.
What are your other computer specs and how old is the machine.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=NVIDIA+GeForce+256+&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

RadarMan wrote:

If one of these is your card then that's the problem.
What are your other computer specs and how old is the machine.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=NVIDIA+GeForce+256+&hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

Radar

my computer was costume built and is only 6 or 7 months old......

my specs are:

Windows XP Home Edition Service

1.60 gigahertz AMD Sempron
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

251.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
158.46 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

512 Megabytes Installed Memory

NVIDIA GeForce 256

maby that was too much Question Embarassed

but i just tryed to look at some sceney and it crashed.. Evil or Very Mad so i think that the video card is crashing becouse it is thinking too hard. Question

Note: the video card i just got was used.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Are you sure about this?

Pro Member First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

Are you sure about this?

this is what it says under Processor a:

64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ok thanks. I've been looking for your CPU and couldn't find it. I'll have another look.

Pro Member First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

Ok thanks. I've been looking for your CPU and couldn't find it. I'll have another look.

ok i think i might have got it at http://www.pricewatch.com but i did not build me computer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

AMD Sempron™ 64 3400+, 2.0 GHz

If this is your processor then it is a budget one and as such upgrading to a better GFX card can be a problem because it's easy to create a bottleneck.

The GFX card you just got second hand doesn't look too promising, I'd stay away from it. Frankly, I can't see how this could be an improvement over anything. Have a look at this:

GeForce 256

The World's First GPU

August 31, 1999 marked the introduction of the graphics processing unit (GPU) for the PC industry—the NVIDIA GeForce 256. The technical definition of a GPU is "a single-chip processor with integrated transform, lighting, triangle setup/clipping, and rendering engines that is capable of processing a minimum of 10 million polygons per second."

Using a video card with such an old GPU most likely is inviting compatibility issues as well. Let's wait and see if anyone else has an opinion on this...

Pro Member First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

AMD Sempron™ 64 3400+, 2.0 GHz

If this is your processor then it is a budget one and as such upgrading to a better GFX card can be a problem because it's easy to create a bottleneck.

The GFX card you just got second hand doesn't look too promising, I'd stay away from it. Frankly, I can't see how this could be an improvement over anything. Have a look at this:

GeForce 256

The World's First GPU

August 31, 1999 marked the introduction of the graphics processing unit (GPU) for the PC industry—the NVIDIA GeForce 256. The technical definition of a GPU is "a single-chip processor with integrated transform, lighting, triangle setup/clipping, and rendering engines that is capable of processing a minimum of 10 million polygons per second."

Using a video card with such an old GPU most likely is inviting compatibility issues as well. Let's wait and see if anyone else has an opinion on this...

ok that sounds like it could be it mabey.

but the place i bought it from has more and i will just return it and get a notherone.

about the video card i had before it was good but i could barly read some of the stuff, like autopilot etc.... and also i just installed the kpdx scenery and my flight sim crashed as soon as i got to the airport when i had the new video caed in. but when i take the new one out and use the onbord video card bad panels but nothing crshed. so i just think it is a bad video card. so if anyone replyes and agrees with me then i think i will just return the video card for a notherone.
OK thanks for all your help i am off to bed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

If its easy to give a try with another card i dont find it bad as a solution or anyway as a way of troubleshooting. Wink

Pro Member First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

If its easy to give a try with another card i dont find it bad as a solution or anyway as a way of troubleshooting. Wink

ok thanks for the info and i will do that Smile

Pro Member First Officer
omgttfs First Officer

I'm suprised that card runs any modern graphic intensive (even slightly) programs at all. Toss that relic to the wind and buy something new(er).
I'm guessing a 6 month old machine would have an 8x AGP slot, although you really should have gone PCI-E, that old card would be 1x AGP.
Good AGP cards are getting hard to find since pci-e has been introduced. Unless you are planning a new MoBo/CPU upgrade in the next year, I'd suggest buying the absolute best videocard you can afford. That may future proof you for a couple of years at least.
You may need to think about some extra ram as well. WindowsXP uses 256mb just by it's self (ignore what MS says), leaving not much for anything else.

I run an AMD3700+ cpu with a ATI X800XT video card, 2Gb of ram. It's able to run most things on FS2004 at 100+fps with all sliders to the right, but it still slows with some planes (IFLY747) and scenery.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

omgttfs wrote:

I run an AMD3700+ cpu with a ATI X800XT video card, 2Gb of ram. It's able to run most things on FS2004 at 100+fps with all sliders to the right, but it still slows with some planes (IFLY747) and scenery.

That's good to know omgttfs, thanks for that. I'm surprised that even with your specs the ifly is still causing problems. I take it you've got both service packs...?

Welcome to the forums Cheers!

Pro Member First Officer
omgttfs First Officer

lol, I just installed the service packs and now ifly won't load at all. Anyway, that's for another thread, I don't want to hijack this one.

Pro Member First Officer

hay all thanks for all your help.. Very Happy

so i got a new card and Monitor..

the card is great, and the Monitor is even better.. Very Happy Very Happy

card: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Monitor: Gateway FPD1975W

so thanks for all your help. Very Happy