SearchSearch 

Civility

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I, and I know others on this forum have noticed lately an increase of unwarranted "nasty comments" made in the guise of criticism.
Criticism has to be constructive to be useful not destructive as we have been seeing.

Lets keep this forum as friendly as it has been for a long time.
Think before you post.
Simply put. if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Thank you.Radar

27 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Clap 👍

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

well said!
👍 👍 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

👍

Jamie4590 Guest

'If your boss has given you the sack because you lost all his invoices, don't drink a bottle of sulphuric acid relax and make stupid noises'

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

I, and I know others on this forum have noticed lately an increase of unwarranted "nasty comments" made in the guise of criticism.
Criticism has to be constructive to be useful not destructive as we have been seeing.

Lets keep this forum as friendly as it has been for a long time.
Think before you post.

Thank you.Radar

Yes Yes Yes 👍

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

I second that sir. 🍻

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

I agree! 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

RM, i agree with you 100%. 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Yep, I agree too. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Agreed! 😀 Clap

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Clap 🍻 Clap

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

🙂 well said 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I might be the lone dissenter.

So, the folks who ask questions without bothering to read the documentation, who can't be bothered with capitalization, punctuation, spelling or even real words, get a free pass?

I've never been one to let standards sink to the level of the lowest common denominator. I'll keep it clean, and I'll keep it from becoming, "ad hominem", but if people think they can get away with treating others like crap or wasting the time of everyone, I'll remind them that civilization comes before civility.

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

So, the folks who ask questions without bothering to read the documentation, who can't be bothered with capitalization, punctuation, spelling or even real words, get a free pass?

I've never been one to let standards sink to the level of the lowest common denominator. I'll keep it clean, and I'll keep it from becoming, "ad hominem", but if people think they can get away with treating others like crap or wasting the time of everyone, I'll remind them that civilization comes before civility.

...in true Crash style 😎 😂

True, but theres ways of telling people to read the documentation, isn't there? You can have a polite response that contains the exact same message as a rude one. To some people "letting standards sink to the level of the lowest common denominator" could encompass being rude.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

...in true Crash style 😎 😂

True, but theres ways of telling people to read the documentation, isn't there? You can have a polite response that contains the exact same message as a rude one. To some people "letting standards sink to the level of the lowest common denominator" could encompass being rude.

😉

Let's see If I have this right. I can't call someone an *ss, nor can I say he is acting like an *ss, but I can say he is acting like an Ass because that is an official emoticon from this site.

Hmmm. I wonder if I am allowed to refer to someone's post as Horse ?

Relax, I'm putting you on. 😂

So I can be cranky, grumpy, even testy, but not rude. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it. 🙄

And I'm sure you'll do us all proud 😂

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I agree with RM, but don't be too hard on CG, as some people need a verbal jolt to make them see the error of their ways.

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

Very good message. 😀

We really don't need self appointed policemen.
That's the job of the moderator who will do it as needed, in the right manor.

Pro Member Chief Captain

PIC1stOfficer wrote:

Very good message. 😀

So, freedom of speech only applies to the infantile, lazy, inconsiderate and mentally defective?

If someone does something that wastes people's time, is incomprehensible, or shows that he hasn't bothered to try to solve the problem on his own, he deserves to be told about it. The moderator's task is to see to it that the rules of the forum are adhered to, not stamp out stupidity.

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

PIC1stOfficer wrote:

Very good message. 😀

So, freedom of speech only applies to the infantile, lazy, inconsiderate and mentally defective?

If someone does something that wastes people's time, is incomprehensible, or shows that he hasn't bothered to try to solve the problem on his own, he deserves to be told about it. The moderator's task is to see to it that the rules of the forum are adhered to, not stamp out stupidity.

This forum has minors, the old, the disabled, people of other languages, the poorly educated (no fault of their own), on and on.
Rude comes off as rude no matter how it's packaged.

What's wrong with someone getting a "free ride"?
What's wrong with being as easy as you can, not as right as you can? Yes

Pro Member Chief Captain

PIC1stOfficer wrote:

Because bad behavior gets rewarded, not curtailed.

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

PIC1stOfficer wrote:

Because bad behavior gets rewarded, not curtailed.

Whether the behaviour is bad or not, is personal opinion. You think people are lazy because for example, they ask here instead of reading the manual first. In actual fact, reading the manual would have been quicker and simpler than taking the time to write a post (albeit sometimes gramatically incorrect) wait and then read the responses, thus, the harder route is taken so isn't lazy. Just another point of view 😉

Yes, I can see why it gets irritating for a perfectionist. I don't think anyone is suggesting that they can't be told that making an effort themselves is polite, but there are ways of doing it. Sarcastic and degrading remarks shouldn't be one, in my view. I guess you think thats 'sugar-coating'?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think there is a difference between sarcastic and degrading. I have no problem with the former. The latter can be problematic.

By the way, how many times have we seen posts that go like this:

I downloaded a new plane, but can't get it to display in FS?

Have you ever seen an aircraft add on that didn't have a read me or install text file? Is there not a sticky in the aircraft section with instructions?

I know it is a pet peeve of mine but when I see the following, I see red.

i know i cant spell. lol

It is bad enough that they think so little of themselves that they won't make the effort to do something right, but the fact that they won't use one of the many spell checkers available to spare everyone having to decipher what they've posted, indicates they think even less of us.

Maybe, we should all simply refuse to provide any information to those who don't give a damn.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

This is interesting reading material; And Crash I like the way you express and describe your views on what you refer to as 'the dirty job' 😂

Having the personality I do, I lean towards Jolegg's views myself (very good posts 👍 );
Another way of approaching ignorant or unaware people that do not adhere to the higher forum codes with a cautious first reply; Personally I prefer to first inform them of the rules before replying more .. 'direct' Wink, because although it has been a while for us since we first encountered the internet forum phenomenon, there are new people every day, that sometimes just don't know any better.

Part of those are likely to respond well to reminders of proper forum conduct (and may even thank you for polite reminders) the other part will ignore you and those probably belong to

CrashGordon wrote:

....those who don't give a damn.

And then, when you're a very active forummember, obviously you encounter more than the average share of "improper" posts, and it becomes easier to jump on someone that isn't following the rules because you get frustrated with "yet another poster that doesnt know how to post". It may be good to keep in mind that not everyone knows this though, because they only visit once in a blue moon.... 🙂 So really, can you expect them to know all ins and outs to forums?

Sincerely,
Ardjan

Pro Member Chief Captain

It may be good to keep in mind that not everyone knows this though, because they only visit once in a blue moon.... So really, can you expect them to know all ins and outs to forums?

When someone asks a question that is obviously covered by documentation, I've been known to respond by asking if they've read it. Of course if I'm in a good mood, I'll give the answer, followed by the einformation that if they'd read the documentation they wouldn't have needed to ask. Of course, if someone complains when I do that, all bets are off. 😂 😂 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Juvenile!

Locked!

Radar

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Test.