Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Taking off with a Cessna using rudder pedals

M15A Guest

Hi all,

Just a quick question...When taking of with a Cessna 172 you have to push the right rudder pedal a little to prevent the plane going to the left.

But whatever I do, I can't seem to go straight ahead on the runway. I either push the rudder too much or too little so the result is that I keep going from left to right, constantly compensating with the rudder pedals. It looks like some drunk pilot is trying to take off.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just practice??

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I don't have rudder pedals for FS but I generally find taxiing and the take off roll a lot harder to control in FS than it is in real life. The only thing I can suggest is to make small rudder movements and make them quickly and accurately. With practice it should become easier. If you are pushing gently and it reacts enormously, then reduce the sensitivity.

Also, you can use the differential brakes (F11 and F12).

😉

M15A Guest

Thanks for that!

How sensitive are real rudder pedals anyway? I find that very little rudder is often enough with the sensitivity setting I have now, I never push them all the way down or even half way down.

What would be a 'realistic' setting?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Rudder pedals vary but generally, they are quite sensitive. It depends on the speed at which you are travelling. At slow speeds, the rudder isn't sensitive at all and it has virtually no effect even with full deflection. At rotation speed, the rudder is effective so only a small amount is needed. I would suggest you find a setting that suits you - rudder pedals shouldn't be too sensitive because it'll make you flights harder to control.

Try a few different sensitivities and see how you get on with them 😉

Pro Member Trainee
rossi85 Trainee

rudder pedals in a real cessna are a little stiff as ya need to give them a good push

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

my problem is that i dont have pedals, and the way the buttons work in flight sim, if you press it once the rudder moves a bit, twice it moves a bit more. its so difficult to control it this way that i have given up and am using auto rudder till i can afford pedals.

Pro Member Chief Captain

mossy wrote:

my problem is that i dont have pedals, and the way the buttons work in flight sim, if you press it once the rudder moves a bit, twice it moves a bit more. its so difficult to control it this way that i have given up and am using auto rudder till i can afford pedals.

You should get a twistable joystick - they're quite cheap now and a lot more effective than a keyboard.

Pro Member Captain
earthqu8kes Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Rudder pedals vary but generally, they are quite sensitive. It depends on the speed at which you are travelling. At slow speeds, the rudder isn't sensitive at all and it has virtually no effect even with full deflection. At rotation speed, the rudder is effective so only a small amount is needed. I would suggest you find a setting that suits you - rudder pedals shouldn't be too sensitive because it'll make you flights harder to control.

Try a few different sensitivities and see how you get on with them 😉

like the AA flight that crashed into queens in november of 2001 right after 9/11. on the ground the pedals have to be pushed back 4degrees to get full deflectio but in the air at 250 knots it only has to be pushed 1.5 degrees back for full deflecting. the pilot pushed the pedals to hard back and forth, the tail riped of and you can guess what happened next...Bye, Bye, Birdie... R.I.P. 😞

M15A Guest

99jolegg wrote:

mossy wrote:

You should get a twistable joystick - they're quite cheap now and a lot more effective than a keyboard.

Or check out Ebay. I got my CH products yoke, pro pedals and an SFS throttle for 90 including shipping...

99jolegg and rossi85; thanx for the answers! I will play around a bit with sensitivity.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

M15A wrote:

...When taking of with a Cessna 172 you have to push the right rudder pedal a little to prevent the plane going to the left.

Only if you TO in crosswind or if you're applying the throttle too sudden.
In fs9, if you clear the weather, you can TO in the C-172 without having to touch the rudder. 😉