SearchSearch 

Some advice please (dual core)

robson131 Guest

Right, I have a feeling my motherboard is faulty, basically I want to replease my skt 939 board and get a skt 940 with an am2 4400 or maybe a 4600, I currently have a amd athlon 4000 single core but I was wondering if anyone knew if fsx takes more advantage of dual core processors??? If anyone could help me with some advice I would be most greatful as its near the release date hehe
Cheers all

Andy

11 Responses

BashDaBish Guest

The advantage of dual core processors is their ability to perform two tasks at the same time without loss of performance. In this respect, FSX will benefit.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Pro Member Trainee
Rex (rexgrant) Trainee

robson131 wrote:

Right, I have a feeling my motherboard is faulty, basically I want to replease my skt 939 board and get a skt 940 with an am2 4400 or maybe a 4600, I currently have a amd athlon 4000 single core but I was wondering if anyone knew if fsx takes more advantage of dual core processors??? If anyone could help me with some advice I would be most greatful as its near the release date hehe
Cheers all

Andy

Hi Andy.
It is only a few days before the full FSX comes out.Then we will know for sure
if it will work with duel core and SLI.The last demo did not show any advantage on my PC useing SLI,Can not say on the X2 as I only have the one setup,But according to Microsoft it will show an avantage with duel core.
as for SLI we will all have to wait and see.
Regards.
Rex

No it does not take advantage of dual core on windows xp, eventhough other games like company of heroes do...
m$ seems to want us to buy vista, where a "dual-mode" patch will be available. so for now i have a lousy performance here on xp, just because of this marketing trick... sad, very sad...

maybe you even need the "super duper hyper premium vista version" in order to play fs x with full performance.... Evil or Very Mad

microsoft IS evil

strange01 Guest

I fully agree there, its a real shame... I'm getting hopeless results, and I have an AMD64X2 - 4400, 1 gb ram, 2x 6800GT in SLI. All my other games play beautifully, but Microsoft wants to maximize profits, so... It seems to me that you don't get SLI support either until you move to Vista and update...

Evil or Very Mad

I'm gonna sell this rip off Microsoft game and start using X-Plane...

In fact, I'm so annoyed I think I might switch operating systems.

bobbyz Guest

Looks like you have similar specs to me strange1 and are getting similar results.

I actually emailed microsoft customer suport and after a lot of faffing they admitted that

"....this game seems to have known issues with the dual core processor"

but, luckily

".... Flight Simulator X is designed to work at its best with Windows Vista, which will be releasing early next year"

Yeah, thanks for that!!!!!

They also gave me a link to the following page about dual processors if you're interested

http://www.answers.com/topic/multi-core

The other thing they did say was that for dual CPU systems they actually advised setting FSX to only run on only one of the CPUs (via the affinity settings in task manager) instead of leaving it set to both. Didn't do anything for the performance on my system but thought I would pass that on

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

I have an AMD 64bit X2 4400 and no issues here. I agree that FSX does not take advantage of the dual core but it still works and works well.

When I first installed FSX I got terrible graphics. So, I set all sliders to minimum and saved the config. Then I started with scenery and increased them to a level that was acceptable. I left autogen, special effects, traffic etc all at minimal or zero. I saved the config after every change.
I then mucked about with my card settings and finally set the Nvidia wizard to quality.

I wish I had taken screenies of my first experiences with FSX but it was so bad I felt ashamed Crying or Very sad

This is the result of all the FSX slider tweaking and card settings.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Beautiful, you did something right.
I wish all the complainers would take the time to get it set like you did.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
patternfly Trainee

yes beautiful, but what frame rates do you get? I can get the graphics set to the fullest too, and have some nice screen shoots while I'm getting 1fps!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

patternfly wrote:

yes beautiful, but what frame rates do you get? I can get the graphics set to the fullest too, and have some nice screen shoots while I'm getting 1fps!

I have a high end machine maxed as far as I can and still maintain a minimum of 8-10 FPS at the lowest, capped at 20.
My flights are as smooth as...well glass.

Radar

MSXflyer Guest

Hey, i run a Intel6400 dual core ( 2.1times2 ghz with no dynamic overclocking added.) 2gb ram and a xfx8800GTX ( no SLi, like anyone normal can afford that 🙂 ) and windows XP. Im getting a terrible framerate around cities after carefully checking all options and saving. i also did the nvidia wizard check list. I finally found that by turning autogen density to zero and keeping the objecs at the sparce setting gave the best framerate. however, after reading many of the posts in this topic, i wouldnt be surprized if microsoft pulled a stunt on us. Vista costs arouond 300-500 dollars..
Im almost tempted to buy it myself just to play MFSX at max settings. Too bad my gf8800 couldnt take care of the entire game eh? thanks for that ms.

[b][/b][quote][/quote]

Pro Member Trainee
Andrew Graver (barkoman) Trainee

I just ordered a new quad core system today with 4 gigs of RAM and an 8800 GTX overclocked to 600 Mhz. Raid 0 setup all running on Vista. I will post my results on this forum somewhere once it arrives. If that doesn't make this game sing - I don't know what will.

Cheers