Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Video Card Shopping

Scotteiboi Guest

I'm looking for a new video card, i want one that will last and has superb graphics capabilities, any ideas?? The one i have now is Ge Force 4 MX440 and its crap...lol. Thanks. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

What do you want to spend?
I have the ATI Radeon 9800 pro 128, TTT has an excellent Nvidia, wait for him to tell you about it.
Meanwhile look at these and get some tips from other members.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030930/radeon_9800-30.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/ATI_Radeon_X800_XT_Platinum_Edition/4505-3025_7-30871661-2.html

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I have also an Nvidea GeForce 4 FX 5600. It's a very good video card. I really like the graphics that it has.
Now, I'd like to update it. Mine is not the latest one, so I want to update it.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

I put a radion 9200 128mb card in my setup; Pent,4 2.4 gig 500mgb frontside bus 256 ram 40g HD. I had a nvidia 64 mg card. I got no improvement over the 64 mg card, And to boot, when I would set up lower visibility I.E. 20 mi or so, instead of seeing the usuall haze as things got further away like in real life AND the old card, I would end up seeing everything well right up to whatever limits I set, then it would stop --- just a white wall at the vis limits. I tried all the new drivers to no avail, took the computer to the shop where I got the card, spent three hours with them tinkering with it. I wound up putting the old card back in. I've never had good luck with Vid cards, so I'm rather skeptical about new card specs or claims. I'm not willing to spend 300-500 dollars for like the new 9800 pros, I don't trust them to perform as claimed. It just pisses me off Mad

Scotteiboi Guest

I am willing to spend whatever on the card but it may take up to 3 months... i have a sony vaio 2.2 ghz pentium 4 processor, 1gb ddr, which would be the ideal video card???

Scotteiboi Guest

I checked on ebay and the Radeon 9800 XT's can be quite expensive, i also checked the GeForce FX 5600 Ultra and it is pretty cheap about $100, but like you said earlier, its time to update, i checked on their website and Nvidia is coming out (if not already) with a 6 series. I am thinking of selling my video card and using that towards a new one....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Leadfoot,
256mb ram is the problem that your textures take so long to render. XP uses 128mb of that with all the other programs running in the background it leaves little for FS9.
You'll keep that machine for quite a while, it's a good one. Mine will be old next year and with 512mb I'm struggling.
1 gig of ram is the minimum now for all the high graphic software that's coming out.

With the help of some friends I will build my own machine from the ground up. I don't know that much about it but I eventually will, this will be the first part of next year when all the new hardware (64 bit) is out.
Ram, I plan on 2 gigs, not that extreme when you figure it will have to run software that will come out 3 years from now.
By the way, I will be getting an ATI card for it.

If you noticed in the Cnet article the new cards want 480w power supplies, check your (and my) p/s that you get from Dell, Gateway all the big kids, they give out a 250w, just enough to run the machine and a few usb or firewire peripherals, sad isn't it.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

DUDE! www.compusa.com

if your in the USA...I think they ship everywhere.

search

Radeon X800 XT Platinum

Join the club dude, i pre ordered mine, they ship SEPT 20!

You cant go wrong

256 MB GDDR3 RAM

530$

Pro Member Chief Captain

It's already pre-ordered, and i dont want to wait another 2 months for it cause i ordered it somewhere else...ya know what i mean? And, i dont really care if i spend a little extra on it. I wanna b able to play my doom 3 game! Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

😂 I don't blame you, I'm the same way. Once I set my mind to buying something nothing will stop me.
Just make sure they charge you the going price, that day and not the higher price they quoted you when you ordered it.

Radar

Scotteiboi Guest

Hmmm, i really don't know what i want now, Umm... but i'll keep looking, tanks for your reccomendations!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Scotteiboi wrote:

Hmmm, i really don't know what i want now, Umm... but i'll keep looking, tanks for your reccomendations!

Keep checking for what's in your price range and take a look at this site for the reviews of the card that you are looking at.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

Radar

ScotteiboiGuest Guest

If the NVidia GeForce FX5600 Ultra can provide graphics this clear then thats the one i want... Smile compared to my vid card... if you look closely you can see that it aliases, and that gets annoying, but anyways, do any of you know if the fx 5600 ultra delivers that clarity?? Thanks, once again!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did you Photoshop those? Great shots by the way, you should upload 800x600's to our Photo Gallery.

Radar

Scotteiboi Guest

Thanks, i didn't think they were that good....the first one isn't mine, i used to see if the vid card could support those graphics, i tried uploading many times..do you have to be a member??

scotteiboi Guest

sorry... i used it to see**

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Scotteiboi wrote:

Thanks, i didn't think they were that good....the first one isn't mine, i used to see if the vid card could support those graphics, i tried uploading many times..do you have to be a member??

No you don't have to be a member to upload just follow these steps and it will be posted by Flyaway when he comes in.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/2089/screenshots/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
tricky2070 Trainee

That 1st pic looks abit tooo good look at the tires geeze if a card can do that sort of quality i think i need to upgrade my graphics card.

scotteiboi Guest

nevermind about the url thing..... 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The URL works, I'm not familiar with Nvidia, I always owned ATI.
It looks too good to be true at that price, I would wait for TTT or someone who knows that card before you buy it.
Did you check it out at TomsHardware?

Radar

scotteiboi Guest

Yes i did, thats why i want it... 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 Hey, I don't want to be responsible for telling you that it's the greatest card or it's the worse card on the market, all I can do is point you in the right direction for you to make a decision.
Good luck with it and let us see some nice screenshots.

Radar

CaptainAndrew Guest

Here's an example of what an ATI X800 Pro 256mb can do for ya too! 😀

Scotteiboi Guest

Ok, thanks anyways, but the ATI X800 Pro 256mb is not the one for me because, as you can see, there is also aliasing.... Wall Bashing

Pro Member Chief Captain

There's probably a way to make it stop alaising...anyway, when those screenshots were taken, what kinds of frames where you hittin? the X800XT Platinum gets bout 35