SearchSearch 

finding out RAM type?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

hello hello,

i've been looking into a memory upgrade - get myself an extra gig to help along with whatever i fancy.

anyway, how do i find out what type of ram i have..or to be more precise, what will fit?

9 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I think the first step is to ID your motherboard then use the manufacturers site to determine RAM type required.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Download and run Belarc and it'll give you the amount of RAM.

When you restart or start up your PC, press F2 and you should be in BIOS and it'll give you RAM details, including the speed of the RAM in MHz.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

If yours is a brand name machine, go to http://www.crucial.com/ and enter your computer's brand and model. The site will tell you the type memory you need. I don't know if they have something similar based on motherboards.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

aah that crucial.com link did the trick - very clever stuff.

Computer Manufacturer: Giga-Byte
Computer Model: GA-8I848P
CPU Manufacturer: Intel
CPU Family: PentiumĀ® 4
CPU Speed: 3400 MHz
Front-Side Bus Speed: 200 MHz

Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Total Number Of Memory Slots: 3
Available Memory Slots : 1

slot 1: Non-parity DDR PC3200
slot 2: Non-parity DDR PC3200

'These 184-pin DIMM modules are compatible with your system'

so i am looking for 184pin PC3200 DDR RAM? is this correct...server side coding yes...actual computer stuff; no.

Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yep, but don't forget PC3200 that's the speed of the RAM chips.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

aah that crucial.com link did the trick - very clever stuff.

Computer Manufacturer: Giga-Byte
Computer Model: GA-8I848P
CPU Manufacturer: Intel
CPU Family: PentiumĀ® 4
CPU Speed: 3400 MHz
Front-Side Bus Speed: 200 MHz

Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB
Maximum Memory Capacity: 2048MB
Total Number Of Memory Slots: 3
Available Memory Slots : 1

slot 1: Non-parity DDR PC3200
slot 2: Non-parity DDR PC3200

'These 184-pin DIMM modules are compatible with your system'

so i am looking for 184pin DDR RAM? is this correct...server side coding yes...actual computer stuff; no.

Embarassed

You are looking for DDR PC3200 speed RAM. Go to www.crucial.com as suggested and enter your computer details - Crucial will find you compatible RAM with your motherboard. Further compatibility between the existing RAM and the new RAM requires them to be the same speed, i.e. both PC3200.

If you're motherboard can handle faster RAM, then you could buy faster RAM with your slower RAM installed (for the time being, it'll run at the speed of the slower RAM) and then get rid of the slower RAM to upgrade again in the future so you have faster speed RAM.

Just a few things I've picked up from the hardware forum over the years - somebody can correct anything thats wrong.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

the fortunate side of idiots being on the internet is so they can educate themselves if others are willing to help 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain

Pretty much correct. It looks lie his machine has a pair of 512MB and has one slot remaining for a 1024 whichg is the maximum it will handle.

My machine has a pair of 256, but only 2 slots, so if I want more ram, I have to throw them out, since mine is a dual channel machine and requires a pair of matched DIMMs.