I hope FSX hasn't fallen into GAME category

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

For a game, the objective is for fun, but for a sim there is much more than a game for fun. I hope MS didn't try to pursue game pattern, and focused on visual excitement only. There are a lot more things the FS has to improve, holding pattern, procedure approach, more ATC interactions......
I hope the text GAME on the FSX box isn't what they really mean 😳

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

If someone think that all the previous FS versions are Games then he will see FSX as a game too.

I think it depends on how everyone see it...

My opinion. 😉

Having looked at a bunch of forums re FSX it would appear that its polarised people in to two groups.
One group, who by add-ons to FS9, study increasing their skill in 'piloting' and a keeness to enjoy the authenticity they have accrued will not rush out to buy FSX but continue to enjoy flying/piloting aircraft with what they 've got for a while. The other group appears to be those that love the 'view out of the window' - the lovely mountains and the beautiful sea etc. and they will go for FSX. There may be a third group - the 'gamers'; they do n't subscribe to FS forums but they may find it fun to play in Microsoft's flying games/scenarios.
Its a choice: Whatever turns your crank.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I think they have tried with this version to appeal to the "masses" and add some "gaming" to the sim.
It's still a fine simulator with gaming aspects.
I first noticed it with the "cartoon" like feel to the menu, they've "dumb-ed it down".
The "awards" "missions" and the like.

They are trying to be all things to all people and have succeded.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

nottobe wrote:

For a game, the objective is for fun, but for a sim there is much more than a game for fun. I hope MS didn't try to pursue game pattern, and focused on visual excitement only. There are a lot more things the FS has to improve, holding pattern, procedure approach, more ATC interactions......
I hope the text GAME on the FSX box isn't what they really mean 😳

I think I know what you are getting at,the inclusion of the missions.On this point,I think all who buy FSX will try at least one mission,I know I will 🙄,but the true essence of flight sim is the freedom to fly what you want to where ever you want.

The guest post I think is nearly there with his thoughts,but I have studied and practiced landings from fs Embarassed and I enjoy looking out of the window. Umm... Some of the best addons I have added are FSP (so its a game 😳 )and more detailed mesh for visuals

So from what I have Read Microsoft have added the "game" part to FSX,but for the flyers,we will still be well looked after 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

From the standpoint of accuracy, it appears that MS has paid more attention to trimming aircraft than before. The airports certainly have been done better. I was amazed to find that KEDW now has both paved runways as well as those in the dry lake bed.

ATC sounds like it always has, but I haven't really tested how effective it is, yet. I will shortly test the flight planning, and if I find it still produces those absurd flight plans from EGLL to KJFK, I'll scream.

I have no complaint about the "awards' It is interesting to know I've done something that someone found noteworthy. Of cours, having landed at 10 airports doesn't impress me much. 😂

While I have no interest in the missions, I suppose that some of them reflect a genuine aspect of flying. I haven't looked into whether one can create their own missions, If that were possible, I'd be interested in using that feature for our VA.

There will always be those who treat it as a game and take off without landing or crashing the plane because they think it is "cool". If MS wants to take their money, I'm all for it. After all, I'm a Microsoft stockholder. 😂 😂

By the way, the original poster mentioned mentioned something about the visual excitement of better scenery, etc. FYI, everyone looks out the window from time to time. 😀

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I don't mind if they added some gaming excitements in FSX. All I care is if they really made one step up on the simulation aspect. FS9 is far far far from the real world aviation, in terms of the aviation technics and technologies. IFR isn't as easy as what FS9 has, in which you are vectored by ATC all the way to the localiser and GS, its pretty much misleading fool-proof IFR. In real world, the procedure approach is alot harder, intersections, airways, holding pattern, and etc, ... Hope MS gave some serious thoughts for us serious simmers, rather than just spent all their resources on visual aspecs, which certainly are going to kick up sales....

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

I want FSX to be 98% real, and 2% game. If they start going to please everyone and lose the will to improve all the things that need it like ATC, procedure, realistic like environment, etc.
I'll go get a real training sim from a pilots shop.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Unfortunately those who shudder at the thought of FSX being called a GAME, you good people won't be able to take advantage of the link Radarman provided for us. ➡

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21703/best-gaming-video-cards-for-money/

😁

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...