Sean (SeanGa) Captain

Why do we measure flaps in degrees?

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Not all A/C do.

Airbus I believe measure in stages, 1, 2, 3 etc etc

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

Ok well then, why do some aircraft measure flaps in degrees?

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

u answeared the question ur self

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

Can you think of a better indicator or unit of measure? Wink

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

dannyboy2005 wrote:

u answeared the question ur self

I did? how?

Can you think of a better indicator or unit of measure? Wink

Not really. Anyway, so what you're saying is that there is no reason we measure them in degrees, only for having something to measure them in?

If so it's ok, I was just wondering if there weas any reason. like e.g something to do with normal, circular degrees (180 degrees, 360 degrees etc.)

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

Well my first thought actually was that the angle probably indicates (more or less?) the angle the flaps surface is positioned in relative to the main wing.
I'm sure someone with more expertise on aircraft can tell you once he/she reads this thread.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

ARD-DC wrote:

Well my first thought actually was that the angle probably indicates (more or less?) the angle the flaps surface is positioned in relative to the main wing.
I'm sure someone with more expertise on aircraft can tell you once he/she reads this thread.

This is what I have been thinking as well, and is really the reason why I ask. But not sure though! I'll maybe try to post at another forum and see if I get any answer. If I do get a good answer I will come back here and post it so you all can know.

Toodles~~

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

Yes. Simple eh!

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

If you read an aircraft stats, it will say the degrees (relative to the wing) that the flaps go down to (norm around 40) flaos dont go down to 90 degrees because they would block too much air, and would be at a much higher risk of breaking off.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Flap deployment is measured in reference to the cord line or centerline of the wing, in degrees traveling downward. No aircraft that I know of has flaps marked as 1,2,3. This misconception is because large aircraft often have flaps 1, 5 or 8, 10 etc., they are still indications of degrees. Smile