Got FSX today

PA46Driver Guest

Hi all, I got FSX this afternoon, after a 15 minute install, I lauched the simulator and went straight to a free flight with the new Airbus at Cranfield, I was initially dissapointed to see terrible graphics so I went into settings and noticed that all options were on minimum.

I recently specced my own gaming rig which can run literally anything so I turned the settings to high (not ultra high as ive heard how demanding FSX is) loaded up again and it was VERY stuttery, with extremely blocky graphics, I played around a bit and managed to get a decent frame rate (to my eye, it was showing 20 FPS on the screen) yet the graphics were even worse, I could not see the windows on the 747, just a blocky blue texture.

Now getting frustrated I looked for potential solutions, after finding nothing I hadn't already tried, I tried FSX again. 😳 I got 93 FPS peak with the standard low settings, so decided to give it a test and set everything on ultra high, I've just come from playing it for 2 hours, with a constant 38 FPS going down to 12 FPS at Heathrow in a 747. The game looks beautiful and plays as smooth as silk. Anyone have an idea what caused the dramatic change?

My rating for the game= 8/10- could use more aircraft, I find the aircraft selection screen less favourable and the view interface is not very user friendly IMO.

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
PA46Driver Guest

Just to add a picture, I've not fully tweaked it yet, but gives you an idea of the new scenery and aircraft textures at full settings (weather is only on half setting)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Oh great!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Beautiful!

What are your system specs please!

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

PA46Driver wrote:

Anyone have an idea what caused the dramatic change?

Just needed to settle in on your system.

PA46Driver Guest

My specs are:

AMD X2 5000+
2gb Ram,
1x Nvidia 7950 GX2 graphics card

It runs at a peak of 28 degrees c/ 82 fahrenheit when playing FSX in the middle of a city/ complex airport.

Thanks for compliments on screenshot
🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

Can I just add something to this.

I had noticed that during all my tweaking of the FSX settings, they did not seem to take effect until I saved the config using the save button.

Just a thought

PA46Driver Guest
Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well with my high spec dual core system, I've spent over 6 hours this evening trying to get it to run.
Eventually reformatted, and installed fresh Win XP, it installs but ....... well if it hadn't cost so much, I would bin it! But it is still being retired, and I'm back to fs9......

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

KenTel wrote:

Well with my high spec dual core system, I've spent over 6 hours this evening trying to get it to run.
Eventually reformatted, and installed fresh Win XP, it installs but ....... well if it hadn't cost so much, I would bin it! But it is still being retired, and I'm back to fs9......

Read this post by TTT.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21841/frame-rates/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Thanks for the pointer RM, but I have an account there, so was aware of the facts stated. My computer on their test goes off the end of their scale, so don't think it's a hardware problem.

But to come up to date. Today (Sat), have got rid of a lot of rubbish, emptied one 90Gb partition, re-formatted this, and installed another Win XP OS, all the minimum bits and bobs, and then FSX.

And under these conditions it is now running. Find that the'Autogen' adjustment is the biggest set of brakes I've experienced. With no AG, I get a nice comfortable running speed, around 25fps, (Which I then set to 18fps), as insider recommends. But gee, it certainly cuts the graphics. I still can't see, with my present hardware, any improvement in the scenery against fs9. And then if I increase the AG, well the drop in speed is quite drastic.

Seemed to be better with Vista, but found a big problem running Vista with XP, in a dual-boot situation. Everytime you have a cold start, doesn't matter which OS you want, CHKDSK pops up very quickly, if the ESC key is not actuated immediately, then CHKDSK figures the other OS is a disk fault, and kindly corrects it! Where-upon, you then have to repair the CHKDSKed OS. This doesn't happen with two XP installs.

Learn something everyday! 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

KenTel,
I know, if it's not one thing then it's another.
I can't wait to get my new machine and hope that it gives me some positive screens like some of the high end ones here have been showing.
Vista will be the next to install, laugh if you will but I'm hooked on a card game for maybe 8-10 years now and I have hopes that it will play on Vista.
It's less than 2mb and free, none of the 6 that I've bought in the past have come close to it in realism and simplicity.
Gin Rummy if they play that in the UK.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

RM, yes Gin Rummy is played here, I have played it, but many years ago. These days for a game, I'm hooked on Mahjong. And Vista has a very good version of that! Built in!

I can't wait for the final version of Vista, using the RC1 version now on my spare low spec system, it runs very nicely thank you Bill. But dare not use it as the main OS on my main computer. Too many data files to lose, if it went wrong. Back Up! Back Up! Back Up! Back Up! Yes we do, do we?
Sometimes! 😂 😂

How did you got it it has not come out jet isn it comin out in october 17

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

FSX released 13th October.

in the uk rigth

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...