Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FSX Dissers-- You xxxxx Need to Get Real!!

Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

Hey,

OK, so it took three hours (+/- two minutes) to finally get FSX loaded on my 2.8GHZ Pentium 4, 80 GB Western Digital, Two-GB SDRAM machine, with an ATI 512 MB VisionTek 1600 video card. It runs slow. It runs with stutters. I get weird stuff in the virtual cockpit mode. It ain't perfect and it has problems that might later be solved by all you genius software guys out there who do mahvelous add-on programs.

But Jeez, people: it is supposed to be PC entertainment, my friends, not a perfect simulator-- at least not for US$69.99 at Best Buy. You want a great airplane simulator, go spend several million bucks with an L-3 Com Link-Singer full motion jobber that takes up the better part of a 6000 square foot hangar. You have little reason to quibble about questionable frame rates on a software program that gives us hours of enjoyment and allows us to land on glaciers in Greenland. Sheesh. I did this for a living in the US Air Force, never had so much fun in retrospect, and I love the hell out of doing it from my desk in FS9/FSX without having to answer to the boss. I suspect I will love it even more in FSXI, which I'm sure is cn the boards!

Get a life-- It is just a game.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Its NOT a game. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

greystone wrote:

Get a life-- It is just a game.

It was a pretty good post until that. Sad

Also, even though I don't agree with them, there really isn't any need to call people bozos.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I'm a supporter of FSX, can't wait to get it, once vista comes out...until then I'll enjoy my 1000 dollar version of FS9. Wink

Pro Member Trainee
Greyson Bassett (greystone) Trainee

Uh...sorry about that, all the bozos who are offended by being called bozos... If you don't get it, then you don't get it.

And, (ahem) sorry Crash, and for all of you who think this might apply: Flight Sim is a nice learning experience and (listen carefully) it is a GAME!!! Go try to get your PPL and tell me your lessons in the sim got you past the first "Aw-Sh$t!" on your solo! I will listen.

I am a dot!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

greystone wrote:

And, (ahem) sorry Crash, and for all of you who think this might apply: Flight Sim is a nice learning experience and (listen carefully) it is a GAME!!!

So let's see, there is no score, I'm not playing against anyone and the objective is only to fly from one airport to another with as much realism as I can manage, There are no power pills, magic, weapons, secret entrances. You "play" games. Exactly how do you "play" Flight simulator?

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

There are no power pills, magic, weapons, secret entrances.

Really?!

DAMN. I wasted my money Sad

WantFSX Guest

greystone wrote:

Uh...sorry about that, all the bozos who are offended by being called bozos... If you don't get it, then you don't get it.

And, (ahem) sorry Crash, and for all of you who think this might apply: Flight Sim is a nice learning experience and (listen carefully) it is a GAME!!! Go try to get your PPL and tell me your lessons in the sim got you past the first "Aw-Sh$t!" on your solo! I will listen.

I am a dot!

Laughing I have to agree, there are way too many people out there who think they can fly a 747 or a 172 in real life just beacause they did it in FS9 or FSX. I agree with crash on a few things, but it does have a few objectives, like land the plane safely and follow ATC, etc. but I see a simulator being full enclosure and you can actually get a few flight hours on it, You can't get flight hours on FS9 or FSX.....

1Gamer Guest

Please excuse Crash, he's just an old guy who thinks he's cool and has authority because he corrects people when they say GAME. Radarman is better Clapping

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

1Gamer wrote:

he's just an old guy who thinks he's cool

Laughing Oooo I wait in anticipation Clapping

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

1Gamer wrote:

he's just an old guy who thinks he's cool

Laughing Oooo I wait in anticipation Clapping

Laughing Laughing Laughing

RadarMan is a better older guy?Or just a better guy??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

[quote="Greekman72"]

99jolegg wrote:

1Gamer wrote:

he's just an old guy who thinks he's cool

Laughing Oooo I wait in anticipation Clapping

Laughing Laughing Laughing

RadarMan is a better older guy?Or just a better guy??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I get no respect!

Radar

WantFSX Guest

1Gamer wrote:

Please excuse Crash, he's just an old guy who thinks he's cool and has authority because he corrects people when they say GAME. Radarman is better Clapping

Hack Laughing Laughing Laughing

FSX Guest

Just bought the new FSX deluxe and its very true that it does require a good spec PC. I am running a 4400X2 overclocked, 2GB Ram and 7800GT overclocked. I am running the game on moderate graphics settings and it still looks good, but on the ultra high settings the game runs very jerky on my machine.
I would say the graphics have improved over the 2004 version. The scenery for one thing has improved and looks more realistic to me. Even small effects like a wet runway look far superior in this version.The new planes added are good to fly. Its not hugely different, but then how can they exactly improve an already great sim? This game will really shine with Vista and the next generation of graphics hardware.
I have taken a real flight lesson although I don't own a pilots lesson. A sim will never compare to the real thing Obviously. However to take flying lessons for real is expensive and probably most could'nt afford. Microsofts flight sim is realistic and is probably the best someone could get to the real thing on a home PC. I'm not claiming that a flight sim would allow someone to start flying a 747 for real etc because that would be plain ridicolous.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

1Gamer wrote:

Please excuse Crash, he's just an old guy who thinks he's cool and has authority because he corrects people when they say GAME.

When people communicate by using words incorrectly, the quality of that communication is diminished. I have pointed out, in other posts that no accepted definition for the word game, applies to FS.

To those who say FS is a game because you can't use it to train for a pilot's license, I say they are wrong. FS is a simulator that does not meet the standards needed to be used in such training. It is, nonetheless, a simulator.

So, to avoid this constant bickering over what FS is, I simply won't answer those who call it a game. I don't play games and have no reason to talk to anyone who thinks I do.

Pro Member First Officer
UG_PL First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

1Gamer wrote:

Please excuse Crash, he's just an old guy who thinks he's cool and has authority because he corrects people when they say GAME.

When people communicate by using words incorrectly, the quality of that communication is diminished. I have pointed out, in other posts that no accepted definition for the word game, applies to FS.

To those who say FS is a game because you can't use it to train for a pilot's license, I say they are wrong. FS is a simulator that does not meet the standards needed to be used in such training. It is, nonetheless, a simulator.

So, to avoid this constant bickering over what FS is, I simply won't answer those who call it a game. I don't play games and have no reason to talk to anyone who thinks I do.

-!FSX is a game!-
I know ,I know you can see world "SIMULATOR" on the box..... Go to NASA Training and you will see what simulators They have!
Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Been nice knowing you.

If you want to reduce me to the level of some drooling, blank-eyed, slack-jawed twit, spending endless hours on mind-numbing gaming, you have the right to do so. I have the right to ignore you, from now on.

GameExpert Guest

Flight sim is a game though aint it? Surprised

Pro Member First Officer
UG_PL First Officer

You are taking this game too seriously.
Rolling Eyes

Just get over it. You dont play real simulation with the keyboard ,do you? Laughing

This is what you call "SIMULATOR"

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

We should just close registration on this site for, lets say, about a year.

EJ316 Guest

ffs give Crash a break. tbh he is right - Flight Simulator is a Simulator not a game.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I don't normally bother with the game vs simulator debates.

Definition of a simulator:

Is a computer program that simulates a real-world situation. Simulator may also refer to an emulator

Definition of a game:

A game is a recreational activity involving one or more players. This can be defined by A) a goal that the players try to reach, B) some set of rules that determines what the players can or can not do.

Its a tragic shame if you can't seem to determine which category Flight Simulator fits into. Rolling Eyes

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

We should just close registration on this site for, lets say, about a year.

Not a bad idea. Actually, I am working on settings at simpatrol.com so that the words game and play are filtered as profanity. Since Flyaway finally controlled the spam here, I wasn't sure what I would do with SimPatrol, but now I think I will re-launch it as a gamer-free site. And no that doesn't mean free for gamers. It means free of gamers.

Reason Guest

People are looking at two different things on this issue.

Points:
1. Is FS a real tool used to learn how to operate a real aircraft.
2. Is FS a computer game like football or baseball.

In ref. to point 1:
No, FS is not a real simulator, while you can learn much from FS, it is not designed to be a real simulator. That does not make it a game just because it not directly used in real life.

In ref. to point 2:
If FS is a game than Microsoft Paint is a game too. Neither have point, scores or objectives. FS and Paint are not games. A game has a beginning and a end, a game has objectives that must be completed to allow you to know when to end the game. A game has rules that if you break, you pay a penalty. None of the applies to FS. Entertainment program or tool would be more accurate than game.

Summery: No it's not real and no it's not a game. It's a simulation program(not a simulator) used for learning, entertainment, practice. It does not meet the dictionary definition of and is not a game. If you still what to call it a game, than just enjoy it along with the game Paint, Word and Excel. This is not worth arguing over.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Its not real?

Crap!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

Its not real?

Crap!

ROFL ROFL ROFL Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Reason wrote:

People are looking at two different things on this issue.

Points:
1. Is FS a real tool used to learn how to operate a real aircraft.
2. Is FS a computer game like football or baseball.

In ref. to point 1:
No, FS is not a real simulator, while you can learn much from FS, it is not designed to be a real simulator. That does not make it a game just because it not directly used in real life.

In ref. to point 2:
If FS is a game than Microsoft Paint is a game too. Neither have point, scores or objectives. FS and Paint are not games. A game has a beginning and a end, a game has objectives that must be completed to allow you to know when to end the game. A game has rules that if you break, you pay a penalty. None of the applies to FS. Entertainment program or tool would be more accurate than game.

Summery: No it's not real and no it's not a game. It's a simulation program(not a simulator) used for learning, entertainment, practice. It does not meet the dictionary definition of and is not a game. If you still what to call it a game, than just enjoy it along with the game Paint, Word and Excel. This is not worth arguing over.

I give you A for effort, but there is something lacking in your logic.

The simplest definition of simulator is something that simulates, i.e., emulates, mimics, copies or recreates the form and substance of another activity. Ergo, FS is a simulator, but not one adequate for flight training.

FS does, in fact have rules. Ignore them, and you crash. That is part and parcel of its being a simulator. Gravity and the laws of physics and aerodynamics, rule.

The simulator -vs- game argument is only the surface of the problem. People don't say what they mean. Have you ever heard someone say, "It is cold", when the really mean, "I feel cold"? Have you ever heard someone say that something is somewhat unique or very unique, when there are no degrees to unique. Something is either unique or it isn't.

To me, the word game has a connotative meaning which is negative. It has that meaning for me because I have observed thos who play games and find nothing about them I cares to be associated with. That is why when someone implies that software I use is a game, I react strongly.

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

Main Entry: game
Pronunciation: gAm
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gamen; akin to Old High
German gaman amusement

1 : Activity engaged in for diversion or amusement : PLAY, FUN, SPORT

2 : A procedure or strategy for gaining an end : TACTICS

3 : A physical or mental competition conducted according to rules
with the participants in direct opposition to each other

    : A division of a larger contest
    : The number of points necessary to win
    : Points scored in certain card games (as in all fours) by a player whose cards count up the highest
    : The manner of playing in a contest
    : The set of rules governing a game
    : A particular aspect or phase of play in a game or sport
    <a> Football team's kicking game
    <b> Plural : Organized athletics
    <c> A field of gainful activity

4 : Any activity undertaken or regarded as a contest involving rivalry,
strategy, or struggle also the course or period of such an activity

Main Entry: sim·u·la·tor
Pronunciation: sim-y-lA-tr
Function: noun
1 : One that simulates, especially, a device that enables the operator to reproduce or represent under test conditions phenomena likely to occur in actual performance

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

I agree with CG, FSX is not a game, if it is then...

    What goal do i have to accomplish to win the game?
    How many points do i get if i accomplish my goal?
    What is the goal?
    Do i get extra planes if i achieve a level?
    How many levels are there?
    What can i unlock if i achieve a goal?

If i see the word simulator in a consumer product or that product falls
under the catagory of simulation then i see the product as being a
near realistic adventure although i would never consider FS9 or FSX as a training tool for real world purposes.

Pro Member First Officer
UG_PL First Officer

GoneGolfing wrote:

I agree with CG, FSX is not a game, if it is then...

    What goal do i have to accomplish to win the game?
    How many points do i get if i accomplish my goal?
    What is the goal?
    Do i get extra planes if i achieve a level?
    How many levels are there?
    What can i unlock if i achieve a goal?

If i see the word simulator in a consumer product or that product falls
under the catagory of simulation then i see the product as being a
near realistic adventure although i would never consider FS9 or FSX as a training tool for real world purposes.

Well,Well,Well........ FSX has some missions! 30 or more ,FS9 does not,so FS9 is a simulator, FSX not........ ROFL Ass

CrasGordon wrote:

The simplest definition of simulator is something that simulates

Well every game simulates something .Racing games simulates "cars", SuperMario simulates "jumping" Call of Duty simulates "War" ....This debate may never end..........

Pro Member Trainee
Flykid Trainee

Hey you geniuses, can you read? It clearly says Flight Simulator on the box doesn't it? And for those of you that think the missions make it a game you are wrong. The missions are there to simulate real life experiances.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Why do you take such delight in trashing FS by calling it a game? What is it that makes people characterize it as something far less than it is? If all it is to you is a means to kill time or a form of fun and amusement, I feel sorry for you.

Most people on this site will never pilot a plane, real world. The closest they can get to that experience, is FS. Those of "game" persuasion want to tell everyine that they are just wasting their time and that what they are doing has no validity at all. That really sucks.

You may see it as something to do for nothing more than amusement, but please do not drag everyone down to that level.

Pro Member First Officer
UG_PL First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

If all it is to you is a means to kill time or a form of fun and amusement, I feel sorry for you.

Most people on this site will never pilot a plane, real world. The closest they can get to that experience, is FS.

Yes ,I play this game becasue of it (and I love airplanes)Drool ,are you cool now.
And yes,I will never pilot a plane Kick

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

We may use the same software, but clearly, what we do with it is very different. Nothing I do with FS can fit anyone's definition of a game.

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

It's whatever you want to make it, if you want it to be a Game go ahead,
if you want it to be a Simulator and put some realism to it then by all
means go right ahead. Why!! Dont Know carry on a useless topic thats just going to
lead to flamming Devil and is going no where fast?

UG_PL wrote:

And yes,I will never pilot a plane Kick

Well i do pilot a plane for a living. Wall Bashing

SimFS Guest

Whether one calls this software a 'game' or 'simulator' they both have similar Principles. They both involve sitting around for hours with a Joystick or keyboard.

DOOMED Guest

it accidentally went IMB Surprised

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

FS is a good learning tool to educate a person about flight, aircraft, proceedure, communication, etc.
But if you want to fly there are much better sims that real pilots use and buy specfic to the aircraft they are flying, and the real pilots course they are enrolled in.
All these things that real pilots use can be bought at a pilots store, many are located at training type airports.

The first time I flew an aircraft MS gave me a jump on knowing what all the instruments are for. And a general knowledge of flight.
That was all near useless to me, and others I know when you have a real windshield in front of you for take offs and touch down practice at 2500 - 3000' above the world.
The reality is "in your face". It's the instructor who is of real benefit now.

Townerd Guest

i used to be like alot of the ppl here. thinking that they'd grow up to be a pilot. i was obsessed by fs2004, played it for over 2 years. then one day i somehow lost interest and moved on. even since that day, my life has been better. too many ppl here take it seriously. I wish that during those two years I had looked at FS as a GAME instead of a SIMULATOR..

Guest

You guys are just arguing semantics. Game/Simulator is irrelevant. It's something to do in your spare time that you enjoy. In this respect, flying in real life, using a simulator or playing a game, they are all the same.

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1 You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Related Topics