Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Preparing for FSX

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

In order to run FSX as I'd like it to be, I am going to need a new graphics card, a DVD drive, and I'd like a 1GB stick of RAM.

Could you recommend a good graphics card for me to buy? I didn't want to spend over $100 on it. Right now, I have the Nvidia GeForce MX 4000.

Also, is there a low cost DVD drive out there that can both run DVD-ROMS and burn DVD's?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Look this over for the burner.
An internal one would be cheaper.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21804/dvd-drive/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
trailnut Trainee

It would be helpful if you could post some information about your computer. For example, are you looking for a video card that fits into a PCIE slot or an AGP slot on your motherboard? Also, let us know the size and resolution capabilities of your monitor. Thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

You can search for all types of computer hardware at Arrow www.cnet.com. They have prices, reviews and allow you to search by different criteria such as price, interface and memory amount. Click [Reviews] then [Components] then [graphics cards]. Smile

Pro Member Trainee
sox2x Trainee

Hi Chris:
You will find that FSX is going to require a top-end card/CPU and Ram.
I have the card and the Ram plus on OC'd middle of the road CPU and I don't have FSX working anywhere near its capacity.
In retrospect I'd recommend putting off FSX until there are better cards and CPU's on the market that will give the performance you'll be pleased with.
FSX is a great experience but she's a power hog.

Sox.

Pro Member Trainee
EARL (SILVERFOX11) Trainee

I'm running a Athlon 64 X 2 4200 Dual-Core 2GB ram with a 7900 GeForce graphics card and it's not very good set on hi graphics.
I think i'll sell the 7900 card and get the new 8800 card to see if it will do the job.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

SILVERFOX11 wrote:

I'm running a Athlon 64 X 2 4200 Dual-Core 2GB ram with a 7900 GeForce graphics card and it's not very good set on hi graphics.
I think i'll sell the 7900 card and get the new 8800 card to see if it will do the job.

When Vista comes out with DX 10 that card will be worth a million, good choice.

Radar