Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Around the World in WW11 props

Welshflyer Guest

Hi Gents, I've just started an attempt to fly around the World using only WW11 propeller driven aircraft.I have completed 2 legs(Biggin Hill to Calais in a Hawker Hurricane and Calais to Basle-Mulhouse in a Wings of Power B-17),i was wondering if anybody knew of any interesting airports on my flight East around the World or of any interesting aircraft (of any nation) that would enhance my attempt(apart from that one in Bulgaria).
Thanks for reading this post.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Go through this. You'll find some great vintage downloads.

http://www.simviation.com/fs2004vintage1.htm

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I dont know where you can find one, but I was reading a 'Todays Pilot' report of the harvard (used in australia and usa during the war mainly.) If you can find one to download it sounds fun - 1500ish hp for a two seater

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

Round the world is a big commitment, here's to yeah Cheers!

Welshflyer Guest

Thanks for your replies,i'll check out your suggestions.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Use the P-51, the P-38 and the Vought Corsair for longer stretches. You can fly high or low or fast or slow in those aircraft.

Pro Member Captain
Steve (SpiderWings) Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Use the P-51, the P-38 and the Vought Corsair for longer stretches. You can fly high or low or fast or slow in those aircraft.

I agree, plus they are fun to fly. Aside from the P-38 which I don't have. Where can I download one?

Also Welshflyer, if you would like some insights about flying around the world, you might want to have a look at my homepage below or at least look the map at
http://img.geocaching.com/track/d8d00173-ae7b-49be-8160-37b4d0c1d5ca.jpg

I started out just wanting to circle the globe but then it grew into wanting to go to all the countries. It got to be quite a project taking several years. But I had a lot of fun. For each country I'd read a bit on line and collect a flag.

I'd really like to follow your progress. Would you consider plotting your trips on a world map and making a link for us to look at?

There are a ton of fun airports that I found. Hong Kong - the old airport. A lot in the islands of the Pacific. One worth mentioning early is n 42 29.94 e 22 58.19 Radomir, Bulgaria if you are going that way.

Also... where did you find the B-17?

Pro Member Captain

how do I delete the duplicate post? The edit button says Edit/Delete but in the next window I don't see a delete option? Am I blind? Seems like I've done it before. Hmmmmmmm

Last edited by Steve (SpiderWings) on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

SpiderWings wrote:

I agree, plus they are fun to fly. Aside from the P-38 which I don't have. Where can I download one?

Right here Arrow https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/21739/warbirds-for-fs-2004/

Welshflyer Guest

Thank you Spiderwings and Tailhook,if i knew how to do a link i would but unfortunately my limit of computers is FS9 and posting on Flyaway.My progress at the moment has been Biggin Hill(UK) to Calais(France) in a Hawker Hurricane MK11. Calais to Basle-Mulhouse(France),in B-17(A Bit'o'Lace), Wings of power(payware).Basle to Geneva(Switzerland) in Hurricane (very close to running out of fuel).Geneva to Trieste(Italy)in B-17.And my longest leg so far,Trieste to Ben Gurion(Israel) in a Wings of Power B-29(bit of a git to get off the ground but once it's up there it's o.k).I've just downloaded an excellent B-26(HHIKER.ZIP at Flightsim.com) that i will probably use next.
Spiderwings, thanks for the links i Will check them out(P.S. the Wings of Power contains some excellent WW11 aircraft,B-17,B-29, B-24, PB4-Y, Lancaster and some crazy Luftwaffe jets).
Tailhook,thanks for the aircraft.How could i forget one of the best fighters of WW11 the Corsair(i would have said the best but being British(Welsh) i have to defer to the Spitfire and Hurricane.(But i must admit the P-38 is one hell of an airplane).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

How could i forget one of the best fighters of WW11 the Corsair(i would have said the best but being British(Welsh) i have to defer to the Spitfire and Hurricane.

Very Happy Indubitably.

The easiest way to do a link:

Visit the site / page you want to link to

click on the address / URL bar (whatever it's called) so that it turns blue

right click ---> Copy

finally, in the message body of your post right click on an empty space and Paste. Done. Just make sure that you don't inadvertently erase any part of the link or it won't work.

Welshflyer Guest

Thanks Tailhook, but i don't think anybody has said induti.. indubita... indutabl... or whatever it is(you must watch too many black and white movies) for 60 years!

Welshflyer Guest

P.S. I've just reached Dubai flying the B-17(again) and i think this could be my weapon of choice for most of the trip. Is it me or is the B-17 the(and i mean THE) most beautifully designed aircraft ever?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Thanks Tailhook, but i don't think anybody has said induti.. indubita... indutabl... or whatever it is(you must watch too many black and white movies) for 60 years!

I live in a black and white world! Fear

...you're forgetting the delightful, the one and only Bostonian Major Charles Emerson Winchester III Very Happy

Pro Member Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

P.S. I've just reached Dubai flying the B-17(again) and i think this could be my weapon of choice for most of the trip. Is it me or is the B-17 the(and i mean THE) most beautifully designed aircraft ever?

You've got me wanting to download some good ole warplanes. I'm making a list so when I get some time on a high-speed connection.

Hey, here's something you might enjoy. Made it up on a map blank I made recently.... your journey so far. Where next?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Nice map, how do you do that? I'm totally useless at that sort of stuff!

As for the flight i've been working nights for the last week so i have'nt had time to do any flying, but i should be planning the next leg today or tomorrow.

Will keep you posted!

Pro Member Captain

The basic map is one I created. I used one I found on line as the template but because it was a .jpg file type it had fuzzy edges and some features I didn't want. I wanted to make a totally blank map such that I could dump paint (MS Paint Program) into any country or state and it would fill the entire (except where islands are concerned) country or state. I basically redrew every border so they were all solid (not fuzzy) then I cleaned up the interiors, redrew all the long and lat lines. It took me a few days but now I have a great world map that I can use for various things. I love geography so thats why.

Anyway, my basic map is a .bmp file type. It has clean, non-fuzzy lines and areas.

To make the map I posted above, I first made a copy of my basic .bmp map, named it WFtrip. Then I just made note of your landings, had to look up a couple in my world atlas, then just went in and put a tiny yellow cross on the corresponding spots on my WFtrip map. Then just drew lt gray straight lines between them. If you've never used MS Paint accessoy this doesn't make much sense to you. But I hightly recommend using it as a basic graphic creation/editing tool.

Paint usually saves the pictures as a bitmap (.bmp) and they are much easier to edit than jpeg (.jpg) but they take a lot more memory.

.jpg is the typical file type for photos i.e. from digital camera.

Since .bmp takes more memory I usually make a .jpg copy of it before uploading online. The file size for the .bmp version of this map is 1,015kb and the .jpg is only 35kb. But as you see the green areas are blotchy. Thats what happens when a .bmp is saved as a .jpg. But I kept the original as .bmp.

To get it into the forum post I just used the URL button above to put [url] and [/url] in front and behind the address for the picture where I uploaded it to the internet in another site where I do a lot of pictures. An online photo album would do the trick. Several on-line email services have photo album as part of your account.

I realize that your question about "how do I do that?" might have just been rhetorical, but I decided to explain it just in case you (or anyone else unfamiliar with the process) would like to give it a try. I'd be happy to answer questions or explain any part of this in further detail if anyone likes. I've learned a few tricks that make graphic editing fun and easy.

Also glad to maintain a map of your world trip. I find such sim adventures to be fun to do and to follow when done by others.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Spiderwings, that is an excellent explanation of how you created your map, and your computer prowess is obviously very, very good (way above mine), thanks a lot for taking the time to explain it, i will read over again and try to absorb.(Probably many times!).

Oh, nearly forgot, i have now reached Colombo in Sri Lanka flying the B-29A.

Thanks very much for your interest and your replies.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

P.S. I might be a little while before posting again because i want to try and follow Greekmans tutorial and upload some screenshots ( if i can figure it out). If not i'll keep on flyin!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Spiderwings, i would be very grateful if you kept plotting the map for me, your interest alone keeps me plodding on. Thanks a lot for your interest!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Spiderwings, FYI i have now flown from Colombo in Sri Lanka to Chennai in India in B-17 "Memphis Belle", and then on to Calcutta in the B-29. I was going to fly direct to Thailand but realised i'd never flown over the Himalayas or been to China. Still working on screenshots!

Pro Member Captain

Welshflyer, I'll be happy to update and display your world trip map. I do enjoy following your trip and making the map - so no worries there. It actually has already helped me with additional geography knowledge. I couldn't find Chennai in my old atlas but then realized I could google it and found that it is what used to be called Madras.

I usually only come here every other day so I don't read and reply to forums on the other days.

I hope I'm not too late to suggest a great airport in the Himalayas. Here is a screen shot of my turning to make the approach at Lukla, Nepal. Kinda exciting.

The Himalayas in general are amazing in the FS9 defaul scenery. Finding Everest was a bit of a challenge. The King Air 350 was able to make the altitude. I wonder if your B-17 can get there. Probably so.

Pro Member Captain

Latest map of Welshflyer's trip around the world.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Nope, you're not too late i will definately make it one of my stops, thanks very much for plotting the map and the airport suggestion.

P.S I'm currently at Calcutta.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Sorry, although ATC calls it Calcutta , inFS9 India/Cities it's called Kolkata ( confused me too, but that's not very hard to do ).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Last edited by Welshflyer on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Looks like it worked!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

apple

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

And finally to see if i've got it right

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

And finally to see if i've got it right.[/img]

Last edited by Welshflyer on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

And finally to see if i've got it right.

Last edited by Welshflyer on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Did something wrong, obviously!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

I know what i just did and i'm a prat, i deleted my photos from photobucket. DOH!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Just reached Chittagong in Bangladesh flying the B-25J, don't really know what i'm doing with these screenshots thought. It seems to upload the same ones all the time, hence the edits!

Meylan Guest

Hi Welshflyer, in photobucket go to the image you want to show here , left click the IMG box (third one down) , it should now be highlighted now right click on the highlighted code and chose copy . start your post here right click in the message box and chose paste then select preview post to see if it has worked . Incildently i was in ChittaGong the other day on my around the trip, i then flew to Yangon (vyyy) in a B2 stealth .

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Meylan, i've put some in on page 2 that i can see but don't know if anyone else can. I did what you suggested before, but the same images kept coming up not the new ones, that's why i deleted them.

meylan Guest

Weird, anyway i can see the one's on page two , nice shots . Very Happy

Pro Member Captain

Welshflyer,

I made a note of your latest progress and will update the map tomorrow. My dialup is being excrutiatingly slow right now and isn't showing any of your screenshots. I see by the comments that you've got some up okay and I look forward to seeing them.

It took me over an hour to make one post in another thread. I did reference a picture in it and thats part of why it took so long.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks very much Spiderwings. Technology is a wonderful thing. Isn't it?

Pro Member Captain

gave up on my dialup connection until I can find out whats up with my carrier.... it ground to a halt again this morning after I worked a while on getting a new map posted... here????? Wonder where it went. LOL

I'm on my brother-in-law's computer with high speed connection. Boy howdy! Maybe I need to go back to work so I can afford this at my house.

It gave me the chance to get a look at the great pictures you posted of the B-25 and B-17 (did I get em right?). I'm going to try downloading some old warplanes while here today. I can't wait to try flying them.

I'll find out what happened with the latest map and get it up here in a few minutes.

Pro Member Captain

Welshflyer, let me know if I've missed any of your stops and I can easily fix the map to reflect them. I stopped over at Chittagong on my world trip. I think so far its the only landing spot we have in common.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks for all you hard work Spiderwings it is really appreciated. I have now flown to Kathmandu, and from there i thought i'd try a little place that was suggested (i wonder who by?) called Lukla. ATC tried to kill me at every turn by trying to get me to turn into the mountains (something wrong there i think) so had to give up.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

My failed attempt to reach Lukla in a Fairey Battle.

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Kathmandu to Kunming in China.

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Clapping Sweeet!! Clapping

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Tailhook, i think i've got the hang of posting screenshots now. But i would'nt bet on it!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You've got it all right Welshflyer and I love your choice of aircraft Love

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

I've just completed another short trip, this time from Kunming in China to Hanoi in Vietnam. This time i used a JU-88 that i fond in the new section at Flightsim today!

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Clapping Sweeet!! Clapping

What he said!!!!

Pro Member Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

Thanks for all your hard work Spiderwings it is really appreciated. I have now flown to Kathmandu, and from there i thought i'd try a little place that was suggested (i wonder who by?) called Lukla. ATC tried to kill me at every turn by trying to get me to turn into the mountains (something wrong there i think) so had to give up.

Not hard work at all... just more of what I like doing. Too bad you missed Lukla... its a fun landing spot. I'm guessing you were flying IFR if ATC was telling you where to fly. I was under VFR at the time I was there. Enjoyed the picture though. That whole area was quite fun to explore.

I was just looking through my pictures and found another airport that is kinda neat southeast of your Hanoi location. Might give you a feel of what to expect if you decide to fly through the Pacific Islands. This one is in the South China Sea - Woody Island in the Paracels. I got there just at sunset and it was quite pretty.

Other great airports to the East are the new and old ones at Hong Kong. The new is one of the busiest I've seen. But I've heard a bunch of stories about how hard it is to land at the old one... RW 13 is the difficult approach. I've seen some amazing photos of airliners, banging engines and wingtips trying to get down on it. If you want a fun challenge I'd give it a go in one of the large bombers... B-29 would be fun I should think. But if you do, you need to go VFR because ATC would have you come in from the opposite direction which isn't quite as eventful. I'd fly over the airport and have a look at the area to the NW so you can plan your approach. I did it in a 747 and it was pretty fun. I didn't hit the wing tips or engines but did bounce and had a bit of excitement getting back down again.

Pro Member Captain

Weshflyer's progress to Hanoi, Vietnam - another place we have in common.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

I must thank you once again Spiderwings, i will fly to the old Hong Kong airport in the B-29 not using ATC and will let you know how i got on! I've seen lots of footage of this approach with aircraft just above the rooftops and am looking forward to see how it goes. If i get any interesting screenshots i will post one, but i think i'm pushing my luck with space and pages now!

Pro Member Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

... old Hong Kong airport in the B-29 not using ATC and will let you know how i got on! I've seen lots of footage of this approach with aircraft just above the rooftops....

I'll bet they are some of the same as I've seen. Will look forward to hearing about your experience with the B-29.

Welshflyer wrote:

... think i'm pushing my luck with space and pages now!

Is there a limit? I might be pushing it also.

Pro Member Captain
earthqu8kes Captain

very nice so far!!! were did you get the B-17??? id love to have that.. Cool

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Earthqu8kes, the B-17 is the one from Wings of Power payware by First Class Simulations, which also includes B-29, Lancaster, B-24 and the PB4Y Privateer. It also includes a couple of Luftwaffe jets.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Climbing out of Hanoi for Hong Kong.

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
earthqu8kes Captain

man if that B-17 were freeware id be all over it!! Laughing ...i wish i had money to spend... Crying or Very sad .

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Hi Earthqu8kes, the last couple of shots are a B-29 from the same package, and i must admit the whole thing is pretty good! In the next couple of flights i'll use the Liberator,Privateer or Lancaster, and they are just as good! It's quite an old release now so it should be pretty cheap( i've had it for about 2 years) but only now really started getting to grips with it!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Spiderwings, i've replied to your PMs' but don't know if you got them because i can't see a way to post a PM. Perhaps i'm being a bit thick and missing something!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Honk kong to Subic Bay in the Phillipines.

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
earthqu8kes Captain

very nice!!! Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Thanks Earthqu8kes,
Subic Bay to Darwin, Australia.

Last edited by Welshflyer on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sorry to go OT Welshflyer -- have you got REP installed?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Yeah, thats what those funny looking cloud reflections are on the water! That's my only bug with it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Yeah, that was my only gripe. I wasn't able to live with it any longer... but instead of ending my life, I just uninstalled it Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

It's an option i'm considering!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

It's a pity really, everything else was pretty good.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Welshflyer Chief Captain

Darwin to Adelaide