Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Landing the Jets

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Well after a long time of wrestling with the big jets as if riding an angry bull, I've finally mastered the touch for approaches and landings including smooth ILS captures. Please let me pat myself on the back. Should I ever be on a flight with 2 incapacitated pilots I will be leaping forward to be the hero.

Does anyone like to do as I do -- position the tower view down close to the landing zone and grade your performance?

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Aahh, It's not easy in real life dude...But congrats on mastering the art in simming....

Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

Brook wrote:

Should I ever be on a flight with 2 incapacitated pilots I will be leaping forward to be the hero.

Yep dosen't even come close, MSFS is just for entertainment and adventure and by far not a training tool.

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Brook wrote:

Does anyone like to do as I do -- position the tower view down close to the landing zone and grade your performance?

I often replay my landing on this view. It shows you how good your landing was and it's fun to watch.

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

Brook wrote:

Should I ever be on a flight with 2 incapacitated pilots I will be leaping forward to be the hero.

You better have something beside MSFS under your belt or you'll be worth as much as a flight magazine. 😂

CrashMasters Guest

PIC1stOfficer wrote:

Brook wrote:

You better have something beside MSFS under your belt or you'll be worth as much as a flight magazine. 😂

So it is not a simulator then is it...why use hardware yokes, throttles and pedals if MSFS doesnt even come close to the real deal?

I'm not flying jets, just Cessnas, but I thought it would be an advantage when I take lessons in a real cessna in the future. Not just for learning what each instrument does, also for learning to control the plane, complete with rudder pedals and a yoke I bought for that purpose.

You guys think it is a waste of time to use FS that way?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Not at all. It is especially useful for preliminary lessons where you learn the basics of movement, what each part of the aircraft does etc. Using an FS forum also helps you understand the knowledge aspect of flying, and the Air Law side.

One thing I never paid attention to was what ATC were saying - I had the text and just read it. You can turn off this feature so you have to hear what they are saying as the text doesn't display. The ATC in FS is extremely realistic in terms of what they say and in what order - radiotelephony is like a science in that respect. Its certainly good practice. If you are in the UK, then it is especially important - they're quite strict on correct and precise radiotelephony; the US is less strict. I've rambled Embarassed

😉

Pro Member First Officer

/quote]

So it is not a simulator then is it...why use hardware yokes, throttles and pedals if MSFS doesnt even come close to the real deal?

I'm not flying jets, just Cessnas, but I thought it would be an advantage when I take lessons in a real cessna in the future. Not just for learning what each instrument does, also for learning to control the plane, complete with rudder pedals and a yoke I bought for that purpose.

You guys think it is a waste of time to use FS that way?[/quote]

Well frankly I do not think that it is a waste of time.But it would be useful
if you follow the right techniques of flying ..But as i said landing a jet is not an easy task...It's easy to control it in a simulator because you don't have the feeling of life and death.But once you are bringing the Jet down in a real life you would start to sweat by the sheer speed, heaviness of this huge bird.I had read an article where an expert simmer had tried an 747 simulator and he found it too tough to control the plane...That's where the difference lies.The controls feel different in real life...But in the end i would still feel it might be possible to bring the jet down using Autopilot...

Pro Member First Officer
Pro Member First Officer
Donald Stratton (GoneGolfing) First Officer

I would rate MSFS as a partial familiarization only thats it, because it is partial.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I have to say, in brooks defence, that he would have a lot more chance of getting the plane safely out of the sky than the average guy/girl who will know about as much about flying planes as I do about rocket science.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

I'd be inclined to think that as well; but as the closest I've come to a real cockpit, was peeking through the door while boarding a plane, I don't dare to form an opinion on that as I have nothing to go on! Wink

Landing in a sim could be made as simple as extending flaps, gear, cutting the throttle and pulling the yoke. That probably wouldn't make for a decent landing in a real plane!

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

I'm going re-post this to i-know-a-tongue-in-cheek-joke-when-i-read-one...

dot com.

BUT a fair question is indeed: WHO would you rather have take control in that extremely unlikely made-for-TV-movie situation...?

Someone with no concept of flight or aircraft and instrumetns? Or someone who's learned a thing or two on FS? (and flyaway... Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

um their about the same handling an aircraft in a sim and realife is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

NOTE: if u jump up their in the cockpit chances are hte stick will ride you all the way to the scene of the crash..... people have died from kids playing simulators taking control of a plane for the first time.........anyone remeber the Ukrainian (i think) pilot who let his flight sim obseesed son take control of an aircraft and he crashed the plane?......well that is an example all unto itself........

Pro Member First Officer

i think Jar's post should put everyone's unrest to peace.

Pro Member First Officer

Brook wrote:

BUT a fair question is indeed: WHO would you rather have take control in that extremely unlikely made-for-TV-movie situation...?

Someone with no concept of flight or aircraft and instrumetns? Or someone who's learned a thing or two on FS? (and flyaway... Wink

You still don't get it. Knowledge of a flight sim is not as valuable in a situation as a person who can follow ATC's instructions, and have guts of iron. 😉

FSXLander Guest

Anyone who thinks that flying a 747 Jet or any plane for that matter in FS is the same as flying in real life are really deluding themselves. First off a simulator can't imitate exactly a real planes behaviour. The ATC in FS is a matter of pressing 1, 2 etc in real life the pilot has know how to comunicate with ATC properly.Its easy to Get away with so much in FS, but in real life the plane will be probably be a fireball on the ground. If FS could match real life that precisely then Air companys might as well save themselves some money and ditch the proper simulators for a copy of FS and a Joystick. Microsoft have never claimed FS could be used as a reliable Flight training programme.
However it is the most realistic someone can get on a home computer and flight knowledge concepts can be learnt. If someone starts flying lessons then the concepts would help, but the differences between virtual and real will soon become apparent.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

yes i agree lander......

A flight simulator on a home computer is nothing special its a "GAME"...not a reality show or high end training simulator the the government has....... a Flight Simulator can help you to read and understand gauges but not Aircraft movements...... I find Flight Simulators fun and educational but not a training guide......This isnt Alkaida where they give u a program that teaches you to hijack a plane!..... Planes test the forces of gravity and mother nature and sometimes they disagree...... if only 1 thing disagrees then everything else goes with..... as i said before a flight simulator can help u understand to read gauges but NOT TRAIN YOU TO USE AN ACTUAL AIRCRAFT!!!!!!!!......

and this is not my opinion its FACTS SO FACE EM...... uless you take a course at a local airport i would trust you or anyone behind this stick of an aircraft ESPECIALLY A B747-400!!!!........Ive proven my point so im not going to say anything more on the subject.......

Pro Member First Officer

I think the following link should help...It's FS2004 vs the Full Blown 747 simulator..Now think of how would it be in a real 747

go to www.projectopensky.com
There is a link at the right for Flight Dynamics forum
On opening the page there is a Sticky called "FS2004 vs Full Blown Simulator"

Check that for a good explanation of how it feels...