SearchSearch 

I'm surprised.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

By running FSX in a maximized window, I have gotten down to only using 687MB of memory. Obviously, on a machine with 512 MB of RAM, quite a bit is swapped out to the cache on the hard drive.

What did surprise me is that the 2.8 GHz P4 is being 100% utilized.

That probably means I have little left that I can accomplish on this computer. Crying or Very sad

14 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thats good news 😂 😉 ...I see another monsterous system coming soon... ❗

Beware... ❗ ❗ ❗ 😂 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

It will be monsterous, alright. 😳

While I haven't settled on some details yet, i will have a high-end AMD dual core 64 bit CPU, 4GB RAM, 1KW power supply and (surprise) a 4 x 300 GB RAID 0 array.

I haven't made up my mind on the GPU end of things as of yet.

Last edited by CrashGordon on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

It will be monstorous, alright. 😳

While I haven't settled on some details yet, i will have a high-end AMD dual core 64 bit CPU, 4GB RAM, 1KW power supply and (surprise) a 4 x 300 GB RAID 0 array.

I haven't made up my mind on the GPU end of things as of yet.

4 X 300 RAID 0 Array 😳 ❗ ...Are you trying to make my day ❓ 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think it is the cheapest way I can get a single volume over 1 terabyte.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

You should be able to build a full cockpit setup with that system, CG!

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain

I forgot to mention that the air going into the case will be filtered and probably will have enough fans to double as a hovercraft. 😂

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

The more muscle, and bigger the brain, the better. 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I think it is the cheapest way I can get a single volume over 1 terabyte.

👍 Yes 👍

CrashGordon wrote:

I forgot to mention that the air going into the case will be filtered and probably will have enough fans to double as a hovercraft. 😂

Put it in the fridge 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain

I want to make sure it will handle the next version of FS, as well as all the other crap that usually fills up a computer.

I am going to take a few months to put this together because I don't want to get the motherboard before Vista is available and I can get an OEM version with it. I also want to wait until DX10 GFX cards are available. In other words, I don't want to pay twice for things.

Now, if I can only find a case that will let me install the motherboard after the hard dives and DVD-ROM drives... Well, that isn't absolutely essential.

Last edited by CrashGordon on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Greekman72 wrote:

Put it in the fridge

Seriously, I've always thought that was a good idea. Cut a hole in the back of the fridge, and it would keep the dust out to boot!!!! 😂

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

4 300 gig Doh! WOW!!
I'm looking a 2 and thinking that it's too much, plan ahead is good!
I know I'm sorry that I bought what I have now, 2 years after I did it I didn't have enough space.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

I got this machine in May, 2005. I thought an 80 GB drive would give me more than I could possibly use. That was before my FS9 Directory had 44 GB in it. I got an external 300 GB when my internal drive got below 10 GB. A third of it is now full and there is no end in site. Looking a cost per GB, the 300s seem to be in the sweet spot for the moment. If that changes to 400s before I buy them, that will be fine.

I would like to keep the machine for 5 years. That will make the price owrthwhile.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

I got this machine in May, 2005. I thought an 80 GB drive would give me more than I could possibly use. That was before my FS9 Directory had 44 GB in it. I got an external 300 GB when my internal drive got below 10 GB. A third of it is now full and there is no end in site. Looking a cost per GB, the 300s seem to be in the sweet spot for the moment. If that changes to 400s before I buy them, that will be fine.

I would like to keep the machine for 5 years. That will make the price owrthwhile.

😀 Funny, I figured the same time for this new machine, 5 years.
I hope that my 2 300's will be enough.
I'll have to think on it.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

Don't worry about it. You can always add drives as separate volumes.