laptop problem

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Hey,I have a problem with a laptop.
It's my dad's actually.I tiny Dell Latitude X1, really small and lightweight. Anyway, there are NO fans and NO air vents, basically no cooling. The cpu has been climbing every day, I started monitoring it at a rather high 50 degrees celsius. I told my dad I could easily install a tiny fan i have, and it'll suck all the air out. I'll also give it a dusting. He refused.He said he whatched it lower as soon as it got hot,and it had some kind of temperature controller.(Yeah right, stop dreaming.So wrong...) anyway, the temp has been rising since, now it's at an average of a broiling 70° celsius, and The pc is really slow and starting to lag. His garantie ran out now, and I'm asking you all if this temperature is hot enough to say I gotta do it,or his cpu will die.Is it? Is it hot compared to a normal temperature? And yes I can very easily install a mini fan over the heatsink, and cable it up to a usb port for power.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I would put a call into Dell about it or check their website.

Dell laptops have self monitoring built in, if they think they are getting too hot to run safely they shut themselves down - this started happening on my work laptop and it turned out to be one of the fans had died. It safely shut itself down and when I restarted it gave a specific message explaining it had shut down due to heat.

Try googling for running temperatures of the specific CPU installed, I would guess Laptop CPUs run hotter than a PC CPU anyway.

If the PC is lagging I doubt this would be to do with CPU temp - worth checking a few things maintenance wise first, disk defrag, HD space etc.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

70 degrees is a high Temp but not so high for a Lap-Top.
Although, a fan would surely helps if you are able to install it without damage anything else...If you father disagree with you there is no reason to fight with him...Let it crash in order to bye a brand new better one 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Intel says the cpu should be burnt up since 60°

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

What is the exact CPU installed?

What software have you got installed telling you the CPU is @ 70 degrees?

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

70 degrees is fairly warm for a CPU even on a laptop. I have the famous Inspiron 8600, notorious for overheating, and my cpu bearly gets over 60.

Intel says the cpu should be burnt up since 60°

thats definatly not right

The pc is really slow and starting to lag

This could be a heat problem, but depending on how old the laptop is, id say defrag and virus scan would help. Also the HDD could be giving out.

I would put a call into Dell about it

Dont bother... trust me (unless you want to sit on hold for an hour then get nowhere)

If you really cant get him to allow the fan implant, I would pursuade him that a proper dust clean would be a easy temporary fix for the problem. If he still says no, tell him that he is heading for a broken laptop...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

I have never had any problems calling Dell for support but when I have done so it has been in a working capacity and they may direct their support efforts to this area over consumers.

Also I am in the UK, so I guess we get a different support structure

Pro Member Chief Captain

Insight, his cpu is a Intel Pentium Centrino M, 1.01GHZ. I use ik8fangui for the temp. monitoring.
Brownbox, he doesn't want any dusting and argues that no dust can get in since there's no opening.I guess maybe he has a point.I know his laptop is doomed, but he says he doesn't really care(obviously he doesn't belive me). Scan and defrag are already done a little ago, and no changes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?content=maxtemp.shtml

Lists the Pentium M processor as having a max of 100 degrees.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...