Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Aircraft Detail

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

As I try to take screenshots during flight (try being the key word here), I am noticing that the aircraft exteriors are extremely blurred. Airline logos and names are illegible. I have my graphics sliders up pretty high, past the halfway marks on most, and I would think that this would be enough to display the aircrafts properly. Is there something I'm missing out on here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

For me, that is sufficient to produce fairly decent screenies, with a relatively low end gfx card.

When you say

the aircraft exteriors are extremely blurred. Airline logos and names are illegible

Do you mean the a/c you are flying, or AI a/c?

If it is your own, can you provide a link to the plane you're flying; (or the repaint, if you're using one)...we can check the plane out for ourselves then, see how it looks to us Smile
Maybe it's just a poor repaint...

Pro Member First Officer

The aircraft that I have been using is the Default B737, Landmark Airlines. Seems like it should have better detail?

Pro Member Captain
ARD-DC Captain

I find that the default B737's aren't that detailed at all, but perhaps it's different for others.

The landmark on my screen
A repaint of an A330-200

Med to Low gfx settings.... The second pic doesn't do the plane justice to be honest, it looks better in the sim.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

check your global max texture size. If this is on massive, i dont know what else Cool

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

the default planes and a few repaints contain mip maps:

Each bitmap image of the mipmap set is a version of the main texture, but at a certain reduced level of detail. Although the main texture would still be used when the view is sufficient to render it in full detail, the renderer will switch to a suitable mipmap image (or in fact, interpolate between the two nearest) when the texture is viewed from a distance or at a small size. Rendering speed increases since the number of texture pixels ("texels") being processed can be much lower than with simple textures. Artifacts are reduced since the mipmap images are effectively already anti-aliased, taking some of the burden off the real-time renderer. Scaling down and up is made more efficient with mipmaps as well.

> wikipedia

you need a program called DXTBmp (search on google) to resave them without the mips. you also may as well save the default textures in a DXT3 format over the default 888-8 (32bit) format and save yourself a few MB's.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for the help gentlemen, got the problem solved.