Fly Away Simulation

Search for Downloads

Use this form to search for downloads and addons including aircraft, scenery and more.

Search entire site

Use this form to perform a site-wide search for forum posts, news and reviews and videos.

SearchSearch 

Help my computer is struggling

Pro Member Trainee
lozz Trainee

Hi all just bought FSX and loving it allthought when I use FS9 I have all the graphics etc to max but with FSX I cant!!!

Can anyone recommened what I need to improve.
I have a Dell Dimension 5100 Pentium 4 531 (3.00)
128mb ati radeon x300se game card
512 mb dual channel ddr2 400mhz memory ( 2x256)
80gb 7200rpm hard drive

whats best to improve, I apreciate your help thanks.

Pro Member First Officer
BashDaBish First Officer

I am surprised you can max the settings in FS9 with only 512mb memory.

Memory would be the best upgrade you could do right now. As much as you can afford basically.

Graphics - might not be best to do anything about this until DX10 cards are available

robson131 Guest

DDR2 Memory is also slower generally than DDR

Graphics card will be the main problem, I have a x800XL 256mb and can only run at about medium low settings accross the board.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

The first thing to get better performance with what you have, is to run FSX in a maximized window, rather than full screen. It uses less resources.

To see the real problem, start the task manager and look at the amount of memory being used. If it exceeds your 512 MB, stuff is being swapped out to cache on the hard drive. That kills performance.

CrashGordon
CEO, Omega-Air Virtual airlines

ElvisG Guest

lozz wrote:

I have a Dell Dimension 5100 Pentium 4 531 (3.00)
128mb ati radeon x300se game card
512 mb dual channel ddr2 400mhz memory ( 2x256)
80gb 7200rpm hard drive

The video card is card and 512 mb of ram is not enough. I'm running Pent 4 3.0 cpu, 1 gig ram, 256 x800xt video card and the game is almost unbearable to play. The game is more cpu intensive then video. I would highly suggest you save your money on upgrading the video and ram and just buy a dual 2 core (D2C) system.

bobbyz Guest

ElvisG wrote:

I would highly suggest you save your money on upgrading the video and ram and just buy a dual 2 core (D2C) system.

Not sure I agree. As yet FSX doesn't seem to be able to optimise dual core PCs

Pro Member Trainee
lozz Trainee

Hello, thanks for the assistance, I ve had a mess about with the settings today and found its the traffic that slows the pc down putting the graphics on high does not cause a problem.

in reply to crash gordon im using 712 mb when the sim is running.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

lozz wrote:

Hello, thanks for the assistance, I ve had a mess about with the settings today and found its the traffic that slows the pc down putting the graphics on high does not cause a problem.

in reply to crash gordon im using 712 mb when the sim is running.

Traffic and autogen are the big performance killers. Using 712 MB on a 512 MB machine does hurt performance. You are using about 15 MB more than I am, but I wouldn't be concerned with that. We would both benefit by having more RAM.

CrashGordon
CEO, Omega-Air Virtual airlines