Helicopter Tutorial

Pro Member Trainee
Philip Borchert (cpsc) Trainee

Is it just me or is the helicopter tutorial next to impossible to do. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or what... but no matter how hard I try the helicopter goes into this crazy spinning mode where it spins around and around and then starts flipping or so. This helicopter is next to impossible to fly? I am using EASY on my Reality setting and can't get this thing to hover or turn very well or rise and descend for anything? Any help would be greatly appriciated?

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Top site for training.

http://www.hovercontrol.com/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Philip Borchert (cpsc) Trainee

Thanks for your reponse? I'm curious have you tried Flight Simulator X and were you able to complete the Helicopter Tutorials without a problem? From reading and looking around it seems my biggest problem at this point is trying to use the keyboard? It seems that the common suggestion is that a bare minimum of a joystick is needed?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I tried the helicopter in FS9 but not in FSX.
I can't get the hang of it, I don't have the patience for lessons so I'll just play around with it after I get a new machine.

A joystick is a necessity not a luxury in the sim. You'll find it much more enjoyable to use.
Be sure you get one with a twist handle...most important.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

I agree with Radarman. I use MSFFB2 (force feed back) stick. I really enjoy flying the choppers. The key is practice, practice, practice. 🙂

I had the same feeling when I first tried to fly the helicopter. I was very frustrated by not able to control the copter in any form or manner.

It takes practice. After trying for hours on end, I finally managed to fly and land the helicopter on the aircraft carrier and on top of the office tower.

I am still working on the yacht.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Get Alphasim's Apache. It can take a beating and you'll live to tell the story 😀

Tailhook wrote:

Get Alphasim's Apache. It can take a beating and you'll live to tell the story 😀

what is the glory in that ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

what is the glory in that ?

You obviously need it spelled out: The 'glory' (strange choice of word) is that because I'm smarter than you I have found a way to actually enjoy FS.

Go get a life anonymous COWARD. Ha Ha

I must have spent 300 hours flying and crashing the helicopter, before I mastered it.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Before you can master a helicopter, you must first understand the concepts of gyro-physical-dynamics... Im hold my Private GA License and am currently working on my Helicopter License. It is a tough ordeal, and really holds no real similarities to fixed wing flight.

In fact, the only real requirements is 50hrs of GA flight with 15hrs solo and 3hrs Cross Country solo. You must also hold a telephony license.

Bottomline, take everything you know about flying an airplane and throw it out the window... I reccomend you look up the basics of how the rotors work, and why the helicopter does what it does. You are aware that the blades dont really "speed up' very much, but the pitch of the blades are what change... for instance, as the Vert rotor is spinning and the helicopter is flying straight, is not doing much..,. there may be very very very minimal pitch, and mostly flat... as you twist the joystick (or push the pedals in real life" you change the pitch like flan blades either pulling the tail to the left or right. This is how you get the helicopter to make major movements... As you push the stick forward, backward, sideways, etc... the entire main rotor will tilt in the direction you desire... this will cause the entire aircraft to tilt on the axis of the rotor... As you throttle up or down, the blades will puch up and pull the craft into the sky, as you lower the throttle, you "flatten" the blades and the aircraft begins to decend...

check out this video, (nevermind the stuttering, the rendering software I used wasnt so great). After you understand why a helicopter does what it does, you can pick a spot and land it where ever you want. The yacht will seem like you are landing on a football field. I can land the Bell on just about any square meter I want.

Helicopter landing

good video !

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...