Video card question

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

Since FSX needs a good video card to run. What card out there will give the top performance for a reasonable price. I have a 2.53 /1 Gig of RAM. I have a ATI 9800se and it stuggles with frames of 10 or less.

I am not going to upgrade to Vista since it needs at lease 1 Gig to run and I need all the RAM avaible to run FSX.

I have to say that I am dissapointed in that I waited all this time for it and to have a Frame Rate problem. I did set all of the settings to max and was really impressed with the graphics and the speical effects. I think having a high end video card should solve that problem. If I can get at least 20 fps or better, I will be happy.

Any suggestions?

Radarman... How is your PC holding up to the wrath of FSX.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Get another gb of ram.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

jetman35 wrote:

Since FSX needs a good video card to run. What card out there will give the top performance for a reasonable price. I have a 2.53 /1 Gig of RAM. I have a ATI 9800se and it stuggles with frames of 10 or less.

I am not going to upgrade to Vista since it needs at lease 1 Gig to run and I need all the RAM avaible to run FSX.

I have to say that I am dissapointed in that I waited all this time for it and to have a Frame Rate problem. I did set all of the settings to max and was really impressed with the graphics and the speical effects. I think having a high end video card should solve that problem. If I can get at least 20 fps or better, I will be happy.

Any suggestions?

Radarman... How is your PC holding up to the wrath of FSX.

It's not. I'm getting a new one.

Go for the best card you can afford and see how much that helps. Then you can add more ram if needed.

Radar

merlinblack256 Guest

I'm getting 20 fps with a nVidia 6800 256mb with moderate slider settings, and the ground traffic turned off. Looks better than 2004, except with less city detail and no-autogen. So the near topline later ATi's and nVidias should be quite good. I still have some adjusting to do.

The video card is the major factor. My brother bought a brand new AMD64 1 gig machine with a ATi XT1200 128MB and it really struggles. Card memory (or lack of it) makes some airports imposible to land nicly at as just as your about touch down the fps drops to 5 as uncached textures are squeesed through the relitivly restricted band width of the PCIe slot (better the AGP though).

Number of pipelines on the card would be a major factor too.

I think system RAM is not such a factor as long you have 1gig 😉 . I can see my drive lights easily and they aren't to busy at all during flight.

Thought it was pretty cool how you can see the street I live on in Twizel (all of them in fact), just south west of NZUK.

Happy simming.

Merlinblack

new guy Guest

guys i had a pentume 4 due core 3.4 processor with 3 gb ram and nvidia 1 gb vedio card and when i set all the setting to high details and performenc the game become slow and cutting frames ??!!!!!!!
why???
and what should i do ????

😞

x pilot Guest

fsx is designed for machines that we are not using, everyone had this problem and is dissapointed along with myself, its designed for DxX and the like and for pc.s that we cant afford, so wwe have to wait to save up and think of when is a good time to buy or upgrade to a new machine...

wait a couple of months and let all this new technolgy settle in a see what happens... a geforce 8800 gc is going for about 600 odd euros in the shop so... there are only a few cards like that can play in DxX...

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

new guy wrote:

guys i had a pentume 4 due core 3.4 processor with 3 gb ram and nvidia 1 gb vedio card and when i set all the setting to high details and performenc the game become slow and cutting frames ??!!!!!!!
why???

😞

I am getting pissed.......

First off, Nvidia never made a 1GB video card.

Secondly, if you are running a Dual Core Processor and 3 gb of RAM, then you should be able to run FSX without any hiccups!!! in fact you wouldn't even get a glitch with FSX and any other programs running at the same time with that setup. So, with that said, you need to recheck your operating systems hardware!!

Now FSX is designed for those who build their systems or buy extremely high end systems. One manufacture is Falcon Northwest, where their "budget" systems start around 1,300 dollars!! I built my system for around a grand and I can run FSX with the sliders at max, but it "stutters" quite badly when flying in congested areas. I just purchased Vista this weekend and there is a very slight improvement, so I'll bought a Dual Core Processor to kick the speed up. that will be in 5 days.

This is my current specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor +3000 @ 1826 Mhz
Gigabyte/Nvidia SLI motherboard
2x Nvidia 6600 GS video cards in SLI mode
4x 512 DDR RAM= 2GB total RAM
Windows Vista Operating system
LG DVD-R/RW multi-speed, multi-format drive
HP DVD-R/RW multi-speed, multi-format drive with Lightscribe
4 HDDs, totaling 1 TB in storage space.

When I go to the Games folder, Vista tells you the recommend game rating for my computer, which is a 5.0 rating. The games' required rating is 3.0.

My computer is only rated at 3.8!!!!

In cave-mans terms, if you want FSX to scream as fast as BF2, or Half Life2, you gotta pay to play!!! Budget systems from Dell or Gateway just will not cut it!!!!!

Finally, with that supposedly fast computer, you should have spellcheck!!!!
I am getting tired of deciphering threads........ Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member First Officer
William A. Jones (waj2306) First Officer

I agree with GundamWZero. Ya gotta pay to play! My specs are:

Intel Pentium 4, 3.0MHz
Nvidia 7600GS, 512GB, AGP
2 X 512 MB DDR (1GB) RAM
DVD-ROM drive
160GB HHD
Windows XP Home

The only thing I will upgrade is to add 1GB of RAM.

Each system is DIFFERENT and reponds as such. The only problem I encounter now is a blip in the terrain when I'm on the ground. I will reevaluate this after I add some RAM and tweak the video board a little.

One thing I found while in this forum is to keep your rig clean inside! Another is to be patient and take one thing at a time (RadarMan taught me that). Lower or eliminate the frustration level and have fun.

(I still need to know why ground tractors keep running UNDER my aircraft while I'm taxiing)

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

GundamWZero wrote:

new guy wrote:

why???

😞

I am getting pissed.......

First off, Nvidia never made a 1GB video card.

Secondly, if you are running a Dual Core Processor and 3 gb of RAM, then you should be able to run FSX without any hiccups!!! in fact you wouldn't even get a glitch with FSX and any other programs running at the same time with that setup. So, with that said, you need to recheck your operating systems hardware!!

Now FSX is designed for those who build their systems or buy extremely high end systems. One manufacture is Falcon Northwest, where their "budget" systems start around 1,300 dollars!! I built my system for around a grand and I can run FSX with the sliders at max, but it "stutters" quite badly when flying in congested areas. I just purchased Vista this weekend and there is a very slight improvement, so I'll bought a Dual Core Processor to kick the speed up. that will be in 5 days.

This is my current specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor +3000 @ 1826 Mhz
Gigabyte/Nvidia SLI motherboard
2x Nvidia 6600 GS video cards in SLI mode
4x 512 DDR RAM= 2GB total RAM
Windows Vista Operating system
LG DVD-R/RW multi-speed, multi-format drive
HP DVD-R/RW multi-speed, multi-format drive with Lightscribe
4 HDDs, totaling 1 TB in storage space.

When I go to the Games folder, Vista tells you the recommend game rating for my computer, which is a 5.0 rating. The games' required rating is 3.0.

My computer is only rated at 3.8!!!!

In cave-mans terms, if you want FSX to scream as fast as BF2, or Half Life2, you gotta pay to play!!! Budget systems from Dell or Gateway just will not cut it!!!!!

Finally, with that supposedly fast computer, you should have spellcheck!!!!
I am getting tired of deciphering threads........ Evil or Very Mad

I wholeheartedly agree with the system specs.
Core2Duo 6700
(2)ATi X1950 512mb each in Crossfire configuration
DDR2 ram, 4 sticks 1 gig each
Still XP home waiting for Vista Premium to ship
2 CD-DVD burners
2 each 250gig Sata drives in Raid0 configuration
5.1 speakers, 5 and 1 subwoofer
Sound Blaster X-FI card

Runs like a dream, all scenery maxed out even when I surf while I fly.

Spell check is in Google bar, download one.

Radar

axflyer Guest

Hey GUNDAM?

I thought that FSX doesnt run with the SLI vid cards?. I was told microsoft haven't released the patch to allow it. So what?

Pro Member Trainee
witty94 Trainee

im rrrlllyyy pissed off that i spent my money on an 8800gt video card and i still dont hav great performances on fsx!!!!!! Mad The game still lags and i cant put the game on max settings!! someonnnne help plz!

Pro Member Trainee
1LtLoric Trainee

So true. Good frames = MONEY. Oy, I bought a 500 dollar comp last year. beautiful set up! 2.00 ghz dual core processor, 400 mb RAM on the G-Card, DVD-ROM/CD-R Drive, 1.00 gb on the hard disk. But still, it'd hardly get to 30 FPS at Condron with a P-51! Got Acceleration. Said I didn't have adequate Graphics card. Computer St. Louis got me a 200 dollar ATi 1 gig card. 3 days and 200 dollars got me 100-150 FPS at Condron. 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Netz Rafi (Rafi) First Officer

For sure better card may improve your performance but…before that U may have some action to take like all those “hints tricks other improving suggestions”. In my opinion U have a lot of space to improve your sys before spending money , U have not a bad sys set up

Pro Member Trainee
kin3 Trainee

Check out this article on Tom's Hardware for a good gaming PC.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-graphic-performance,1959.html

Also check out this site for articles on PC hardware.

http://www.anandtech.com/

Hope this helps.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...