Activation Problem

Gordy L Guest

Hi,
I'm hoping for some direction here. I loaded the game(deluxe) on my pc and got to the activation screen. I entered the key# and hit enter. I could see 2 icons and the words" making connection" and then I got the message "a technical problem occurred while accessing the online server. We apologize for the inconvenience, please check your internet connection ....etc." below that there were 3 radio buttons 1-activate by internet, 2-activate by phone or 3- activate later. I tried the phone item and got the next message "An error occurred while attempting to activate product. The problem may be due to an incomplete install. Reinstall and try again. " Because of the length of time to reinstall I just went into flying. The program then timed out after 30 min. I tried numerous times after to repeat the above with same result. I then called microsoft. They transfered me to technical support. There was a voice recording that asked me to enter a product ID#. I went into the application to find it under "help" the last item. When I clicked on that it said" demo version10.0 build 60905.00 id# . That's right, it was blank. I could not give them and an ID#. So I had to hang up. So then I thought, I'll e-mail them. Again, after several questions they asked for the ID#. So I had to stop that method. I ended up e-mailing customer service, but so far I have had no response.
My first question is, Why is there no ID#. Does it appear there after activation? I bought the product from Best Buy and it was tightly sealed so I can't believe the package was tampered with.
My second question is has any one else seen this problem, and how did it get resolved for you?

Answers 36 Answers

Jump to latest
DBuck Guest

Gordy,

I am having the same problem with my deluxe. I have called and left e-mails and Microsoft Tech support. I have even tried the 888 activation number and nothing. I can't believe there is nothing out on this yet. I have tride numerous times to activate and nothing. Anybody have any solutions?

you can find the key inside the jacket just under the instruction booklets stuck to the jacket

DBuck Guest

Sorry guaest, it's not about the not finding the product key. You'd have to be blind not to see it (Yellow sticker with "Product Key"). The issue is with the MSFSX activation website not working or the product key not being authorized, AND Microsoft not addressing the issue effectively. Customer Service should not involve 2 hour wait times only to get disconnected or speak to someone in India that does not know a thing about the product, other then what is scripted on a piece of paper in front of them.

To respond again to Gordy, I just brought the game back and switched for a Deluxe that had not been previously opened. Even the EB Staff tried to call MS Tech and was on hold for 2 hours. My new copy installed and activated without issue. Good Luck Gordy.

Yes this know return the game it will not work how many times oyu return it. this was also a problem for me...

BoeingLover Guest

I have installed FSX Deluxe on my computer without a glitch. After instillation the activation screen popped up, I entered all the required information and Microsoft successfully accepted it. I played FSX for a while and then restarted my computer. This is where it gets ugly! I click on the icon, and what pops up the activation screen! I reentered the product key and it says there is an error no matter how many times I entered it. I even called Microsoft and they gave me a new code and still did not work. I have been seeing many other similar problems like this one on forums, so Microsoft is going to have to do something to fix this. In the meantime I have paid for a full price game which only allows you to play 30 minutes in trial mode!

Thank you for your help and time and let's hope Microsoft fixes this issue soon.
Boeinglover

Guest Guest

I had this same issue with my copy of deluxe--after spending hours on the phone with Microsoft, they gave me a simple registry edit that fixed the problem and allowed me to activate.

I'm at work now, and I don't have the info with me, but I can post it when I get home.

Note that this isn't a "hack" for people to pirate the program; you still have to enter your valid Product Key, and you still have to activate with Microsoft.

I'll bookmark this thread, and if people are still having the problem, I'll post the solution when I get home.

Guest Guest

Okay, it's me again. I looked on my work system, and I think I remember the registry key to change. I'm 99% sure, at least.

The registry key you want is under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class

Look for the key that starts with "{4D36E967". In that key there is a variable called UpperFilters. On my system at home, before Microsoft helped me fix it, this had no value. (If you do have a value there already, you may want to hold off on doing this until I can verify this procedure when I get home. Or write down the value that was there in case this doesn't work.)

But if yours is blank, then double click this key and add the value "PartMgr" (without the quotes).

Then reboot your machine, and try to activate again. This worked for me.

As I said, I don't have my notes in front of me, but I'm pretty sure this was the right key. If you're nervous about this, then don't do it, and I'll verify when I get home later.

Good luck!

Guest Guest

Me again; just wanted to say I've double-checked my notes, and the above is correct. Hope this helps someone!

BoeingLover Guest

I looked under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class
and found "{4D36E967" and the variable called UpperFilters, but I already have the value "PartMgr". So my problem might be different than yours. If you see or have any additional information please post it.

Thank you for the help,
BoeingLover

sgtmike74 Guest

I have checked my registry and I too already has the value "PartMgr" so is there anything else I can do to get this thing to activate?

Pro Member First Officer
Murfi First Officer

I did have the problem, just ring the number given to you, you go through to a computer and it activates the game for you.

If it didn't work for you download this:

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/22449/activation-message-from-ms/

Protocol Guest

first of all! let's konw what is activat product key used for? It's about sending information about your PC hardware which not contain any personality information and the hardware also had product number as serial number! In the first time you used Flight Simulator X and you've succed activated Pro. Key it's return succed into Regedit wihich let you continue anytime to start FLX without pop up activation dialog.
to resolving this problem to active yours key make sure to uninstall the software and go to RUN type regedit and press F3 and type flight simulater X press enter and delet the (Key, Values, Data) press again F3 and do the step again and over again 'till get message ( not found ) reinstall the game and have fun!

User12345 Guest

Can anyone please post their serial key!!??

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

User12345 wrote:

Can anyone please post their serial key!!??

No one can post their serial. It is considered piracy if you share the key.

you must be connected to the internet while doing your activation.

United93 Guest

I Dont Think My Internet Connection Is Fast Enough For Me To Activate It How Do I Speed It Up? Or Can I?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

United93 wrote:

I Dont Think My Internet Connection Is Fast Enough For Me To Activate It How Do I Speed It Up? Or Can I?

You can't speed it up and it's fast enough to register.

Radar

united93 Guest

so it says on the box i need 56.6 but i only have 54.0 is that the problem???

ajmitch51 Guest

This is a totally wierd problem. A couple of weeks ago when I reinstalled FSX after building a new PC, it came up with the feeble excuse that is being talked about here, but an hour later it activated online perfectly. Changing the configuration of my PC forced another reinstall, with exactly the same results as before, but this time, I have been trying solid for about three days, except for essential breaks. Almost worn out my mouse. Thankfully, it's a Logitech one and not Microsoft or that would have definitely failed.
Anyway, if I don't manage to do it online tonight, then I'll phone tomorrow.
What happens I wonder if all attempts at online and telephone activation fail. Is the user forced to reinstall FSX again, or does it prevent you from doing that?

I have been having this problem for weeks, I'd pretty mych given up but then decided to call MS in a last ditch attempt to fix it.

the issue was that my FSX was set to run in Compatability mode.

I unchecked the box, tried to activate it and bingo it worked !!

If you've got it running in Compatability mode you'll know how to turn it off... however just in case here's what to do.

go to your main fsx folder located in program files, microsoft games.

find the fsx.exe
right click it and select properties
click on the compatability tab then uncheck the box which say,
run this program in compatability for..

Hope this helps someone

The next time someone requests the activation key, I'm going to give them a long, expansive, detailed list of codes and tell them that at least one of them will work because it's mine, but I forgot which one it was. I'm going to fill several replies with them. And all of them are going to be total bull$#!%, so the poor bastard who tries them wastes a good portion of their time. Go ahead and join in if you'd like. I only get torrents to try out products. Fair enough.

I don't know if anybody is still reading this thread but I'll post my experience with activating my fsx Gold which I got yesterday.

As was stated by the original poster... I got the "unable to connect to the server... blah blah".

I got a bit pissed and shut fsx down. When I started it up again I re-entered the product code... and it worked.

Bobby

newname98033 Guest

Great!!!! The "find the fsx.exe
run this program in compatability for.." worked brilliant! Thank you. Now if I can only load my Bretagne vfr ! been trying for a couple of weeks!, yes I followed all the "click in the box" / add/ edit/ posts but I still cant find it in the addon page/screen. I am trying an absolute clean reinstall now.

too everyone.....Thanks for all the great advise 😀

Torque3783 Guest

I am delighted to be able to agree to others on the resolution to non-activation.

The 'right' technician at Microsoft has advised: go into the FSX folder (C:/Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X - open the folder )and right click on FSX.exe (or Application) choose properties and uncheck the Run in Compatibility Mode box. Then the activation went through with no problem. Enjoy.

Bogusburger Guest

None of this has worked for me 😞 I have tried all of the advice and nothing has worked, what number can I call to contact Microsoft?
thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Bogusburger wrote:

None of this has worked for me 😞 I have tried all of the advice and nothing has worked, what number can I call to contact Microsoft?
thanks

Try here.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/activation-centers.aspx

Radar

Guest88 Guest

I was having the same problem, until I went into the fsx.exe properties/compatibility, and even though my "run this program in compatibility for" box was unchecked, I checked and unchecked it, and then after this FSX worked.

This might help, just a suggestion...

Global 7000 Guest

I have purchased FSX. However I cannot activate it. I have Windows 8 installed. After I enter activation key it comes back as error. Is there anything I can do to activate it without problems. It is waste of money to buy a product that I can not activate (use only for 30 minutes). Thanks.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Andex24 Guest

Hi, I have the same problem, but when I go to properties on the fax.exe file, there is no "compatibility" tab. Any suggestions? Thanks!

This worked for me. I have Windows 7 64bit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:49 pm Post subject:

I have been having this problem for weeks, I'd pretty mych given up but then decided to call MS in a last ditch attempt to fix it.

the issue was that my FSX was set to run in Compatability mode.

I unchecked the box, tried to activate it and bingo it worked !!

If you've got it running in Compatability mode you'll know how to turn it off... however just in case here's what to do.

go to your main fsx folder located in program files, microsoft games.

find the fsx.exe
run this program in compatability for..

Hope this helps someone

😂 😂

Aemann Guest

Guest It works thank you very much my was on Windows XP Service Pack 2. 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down Bow Down

oldmanemu Guest

I've had all the issues same as most of you. The COMPATABILITY solution was a success for me too.
But. . .This time I changed the way I etered the actvation KEY from my retail pack.
All previous times I entered the key was inlower case. I changed the compatability settings, as directed, and entered the key in Upper Case. So now I can't say if it made a difference or not.

I am really pissed at the way MS responds to these types of complaints. I've been searching for a simple solution amongs: firewall settings, yes-compatability too, forums and even more forums until I was grinding my teeth in frustration. I would 'walk away' before I busted something. . .like a friend of mine did when he hurled his Toshiba laptop out the door of his house. No kidding. I couldn't salvage a thing from the box.
So, MS, don't be so hard to get too. I bet you get a few conacts a day requiring Thousands of Support Staff on line across the world. The complaints of many involving this issue over such a simple fix can't do you any good so, think of a better way to deal with the poor bastards who buy your products.
Please.
Embarassed

fabio brazilian Guest

perfect.works.
thanks
fabio

Ok so I don't know how I fixed it but this is what happened. While I experienced the problem first time on my win 7 laptop I was checking this thread for all the solutions and tried each one of them but nothing seemed to work. Then while I was restarting my modem I don't know somehow my phones hotspot was on and I was watching YouTube and I activated it and voila it worked!!! 😀

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Your ordeal does sound rather tiresome indeed, and I can see why you'd want to resolve it quickly. Let's take your questions one at a time.

Question 1: Why is there no ID#?

The Product ID is a unique identifier for your copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX). It should be available to you even before activation. However, as you've described, it seems like you are encountering a glitch where the Product ID is not appearing, which might be tied to your activation troubles.

If you have the Deluxe version, there should be a 25-character Product Key inside the packaging. Usually, it's either on the back of the user manual, or on a separate card. Please ensure that you're correctly entering this key into the activation screen.

Question 2: Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, how was it resolved?

There have been similar reports, though not identical, in our community. This issue often arises from an incomplete or corrupted installation of FSX.

Now, I understand that the reinstallation process can be time-consuming, but in such cases, it often turns out to be the most viable solution. Here are the steps I'd recommend:

Uninstall FSX completely from your system. Ensure that all the files related to the program are removed.
Perform a Clean Boot (Start your PC with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs so that you can isolate software conflicts).
Reinstall FSX with administrative rights (Right click the installer -> Run as administrator).
Doing these steps will ensure that the installation process is not being interfered with by any other software or service running on your system.

The other possible problem could be a firewall or antivirus software blocking the game's access to the server. You might want to temporarily disable these before proceeding with activation. Remember to turn them back on once you're done.

You mentioned that you've already tried reaching out to Microsoft. I suggest continuing to try this avenue. Since this could potentially be a server-side issue, they should be able to provide more specific troubleshooting steps.

Finally, remember that although FSX is a wonderful simulator with a rich history, it is now quite dated. If your system can handle it, you might want to consider upgrading to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 or X-Plane 12. They both have advanced features that make the flying experience more immersive and, in my experience, they tend to have fewer technical issues.

I hope this guidance is useful to you, and I wish you luck in resolving your activation problem.

Safe flights!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...