SearchSearch 

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I just filled out and ordered my free SP2 CD.
I haven't installed the update as of yet and probably won't for at least a month but to have the CD when doing a fresh installation of Windows is a huge time saver even with broadband.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

Radar

13 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
Riclo First Officer

Thanks for the Update on the SP 2, the D/load for my 56k modem would probably take me over 13 hours. Ric

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

Bless you radarman - I also am a DUN subscriber, only because British Telecom have not yet made Broadband available in this remote part of Scotland Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad , they hope to enter the 21st century some time next year! 😉

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Depending on how much you want to spend on broadband, I belive BT offer a satellite Broadband service to any location in the UK/Europe.

Pro Member Captain

Yes flyaway, I would love to have the BT Satellite Broadband but at £300 installation and connection plus £29.99 p.m. it is a no no for me.
My OAP just won't run to it and the executiver director (my wife) would file for divorce if I even thought about it 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I posted the link here to the SP2 free CD from MS 8.26.04 and it arrived today 8.31.04.

Amazing!!!!

Anyone else get theirs yet?

Radar

Pro Member Captain

Don't expect it'll be that quick to the UK but I'm a patient man.

Don't want to get into the pro's and con's re SP2 but it would seem to me that most of the problems with the installation are caused by out-of-date software and if you update then no probs.

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

You people need to take it sloooowly ! I know this isn't a computer forum, but I strongly suggest you hold off and let others be the "Beta Testers." There are already many problems. I would only install this if I had a perfect Backup of my rig. I cloned a second hard drive and installed it on that. Unlike others, I had no problems for two weeks until I remembered to try my Visioneer scanner. It was unuseable and there is no fix !!! I went back to my main, SP2-less drive. And never install it from the update site. There is a link where you can download the 266 MB IT version...this is the one to use and install from your own hard drive...absent this, the CD would be next choice. But I would wait !! If you have a router and firewall like ZA, you really don't need SP2 for security !! Habu

Pro Member Captain

Got the SP2 CD in UK - only took 7 days from ordering.

Install took 12 minutes and apart from a few personal foibles all went well and my machine seems a little bit slicker and it also cured a glitch I had with Windows Explorer. 👏 Have waited 4 days to let it settle in and before posting this. 👍

If you do have broadband, you can download it from below:
download took about 23 minutes on cable. I burned it to CD and used that to update 5 or 6 XP machines.
This is the 266 meg. IT version Habu mentioned.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

The install takes about 15 or 20 minutes.
It is a bigger download than the express package, but it only installs what is needed, so it won't take up any more space when it is installed.

Of course the first thing I checked after putting it on my own machine was if there was any changes in the way fs9 works.
There were none, nor any other problems on any of the machines.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I ordered the SP2 cd as soon as I saw the link from Radar
All the while I was waiting for it,quietly in the bottom righthand corner its been sneaking in to my pc
The cd came 3 days ago and I was thinking of doing a reformat of the hard drive,but yesterday the d/load was complete and it itstalled itself(after a prompt from me)
Install was fairly quick, but now Im being pestered by messenger again Evil or Very Mad ,and the new firewall asked about everything trying to access the net,even fs9 🙄 other than that all is sweet
I cant remember how I stopped messenger before....... Doh!

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

TTT,

Are you talking about the 'Messenger" service in XP (which sends alerter messages to clients and servers) or Windows Messenger?

If you mean 'Messenger' in services it's easy to disable:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.mspx

If you have been running your own software firewall ie: zonealarm, sygate etc. then you have a better one than the Windows XP firewall. Better to disable it.

You can go to START/CONTROL PANEL/NETWORK AND INTERNET CONNECTIONS/WINDOWS FIREWALL/OFF

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Michael_H showed you one way of doing it, there is also a very tiny app that you can download called "Shoot the Messenger" I use that.
I keep it in "My Briefcase", read about it and download it from the link below.

http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Thats better,Ive just shot it
Thanks guys 👍