Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Wait or Start Anew?

Pro Member Trainee
lydhndrxca Trainee

Hey guys, i had a post before about building a new pc. One that can handle FSX. I was going to throw about 2 grand into it... good processor, 2 x1950 xtx in Crossfire or 2 GeForce running SLI, blah blah blah.

Then I got to thinking, thats alot of money to be throwing at some cards and processor that will be outdated in just a few months (with Direct3D 10, and quadcore?)

I understand everything in technology gets outdated, however im getting the sense that a big change is on the horizon. Like Vista will bring with it new extra superior technology that is Direct3D 10 and everything else it boasts. Im a realworld pilot, but not realworld computer saavy as you can tell.

What I'm struggling with is whether or not to build now, or wait. Is Vista and Direct3D 10 gfx cards going to be night and day better than $900 worth graphic cards available now? I just dont see what could be better in FSX with direct 10 than with directx 9.

Heres a link that confuses me... (hold mouse over picture)

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060817/directx10-fabulous/

I know that picture is artist rendition, but what I dont understand is how is he/she even coming up with that image? Just because you have new technology, that doesnt mean you can grandfather new games into it and make them look better 10 fold? (you cant throw fs 98 into a top of the line computer nowadays and expect it to look like a different game) Correct me if im wrong, but thats what that picture looks like, and thats what I hear from other people.

So anyway, im done with my novel, but id appreciate some input.

and again, sorry if i sound ignorant and incredibly under-educated when it comes to computers!

(cause i am) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I believe it. They (MS) haven't updated DX 9 they have created a new DirectX and it's supposed to be magic, or so they say.

If your thinking of a computer this site seems to give super prices and you can configure a machine with top of the line parts for a price that hard to imagine.

My next machine was to be a home built but instead it's coming from them.

As for the DX 10 cards, I'll wait a year or so until the are a reasonable price for two and have proven themselves to be better than crap.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
lydhndrxca Trainee

so radar, your going to get yours soon? Before vista and such, then upgrade later?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

lydhndrxca wrote:

so radar, your going to get yours soon? Before vista and such, then upgrade later?

I don't think I want to wait to fly FSX another 3-4 months, just because of Vista.
That was my original plan but FSX and my ancient machine just don't mix.
It's a few bucks wasted but it's what I like so the extra $ is worth it.

They have a nice machine that can be configured into a winner.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
lydhndrxca Trainee

hmmm...

radar, if you wouldnt mind, could you tell me what your going to go with as in processor/motherboard/video cards?

I am tempted to upgrade to 2 GeForce 7950 1 gig runnning SLI, but im not sure if thats much better than 512 in SLI, its $600 bucks less, and i like that. I just dont want to be dissapointed when i try to up my settings in fsx, and wish i went with 1 gig.

also, is it worth shelling 100$ more for 3 gigs ram instead of 2?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

lydhndrxca wrote:

hmmm...

radar, if you wouldnt mind, could you tell me what your going to go with as in processor/motherboard/video cards?

I am tempted to upgrade to 2 GeForce 7950 1 gig runnning SLI, but im not sure if thats much better than 512 in SLI, its $600 bucks less, and i like that. I just dont want to be dissapointed when i try to up my settings in fsx, and wish i went with 1 gig.

also, is it worth shelling 100$ more for 3 gigs ram instead of 2?

Windows won't recognize more than 2 gig of ram, or so they claim. They'll sell it to you but you put it in so they aren't responsible for it not showing up.
Order it with 2 gigs Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader, now and add the same later from www.crucial.com
Vista will recognize it.

Asus P5N-SLI nForce 570 SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2 Mainboard

6700 CPU

1 only now, ATI Radeon X1900XTX PCI-E x16 512MB VIDEO CARD()[+149], then up to DX 10 cards in a year.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
omgttfs First Officer

I went a minimum upgrade of videocard (x800xl). I'm waiting untill dx10 cards not only come out, but come down a bit in price. By that time, physics cards will also be more mainstream and refined. My boys will get this rig and I'll be in massive debt.