Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

FSX First Impressions

Pro Member Trainee
oalvarezjr Trainee

first let me say that i am not a pilot but an enthusiast. my initial impression is that it offers a much more true and realistic feel versus fs9. the scenery is so much more detailed and real, all the way down to the runways. the plane "movements" (is that correct?) look so much more real when using the spot view and the plane (in my case the 737) seems to fly that much more fluid and stable. i don't know how to explain it (as i am not a pilot) other than saying it just feels and looks more real, you can almost feel the weight of the plane. the airport traffic is just awesome: the pushback and moving vehicles are a huge plus. i have not been able to find gates/moving gates but i've only flown out of LAS and LAX. my only negative so far is that it does tax the PC (amd 64fx 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 7800gtx 512mb) at the highest settings and it goes to reduce the fun factor by a large degree. i'm also disappointed in that all of my liveries, programs (ultimate traffic, world airports, etc) and texture/sceneries don't easily convert over.

i will continue to add commentary as i spend more time flying on FSX.

regards

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I think that is a pretty good assessment. Since my computer is less capable than yours, I've been flying GA aircraft while I tweak the settings to get the most out of FSX that I can. So, I haven't tried the jetways and other "moving parts" either.

Pro Member Trainee
oalvarezjr Trainee

well, i might as well forget the highest settings, it's just no fun that way. even on "high" it doesn't run up to my liking nor anywhere close to fs9 at the same settings. i will say once again how amazing the scenery (moving traffic on the roadways, the airport traffic, the WATER! and ground) is compared to fs9. like CrashGordon, i will continue to play around with the settings until i find something that suits me. it does run buggy regardless, the load times are so much more long but i suppose that is explainable. switching in and out of the program (for pics) takes quite the while.

Fryingpan Guest

A tad off topic i know, but i've just ordered FSX on amazon on express delivery and would like to know how i find out how much memory i have, cheers

Fryingpan

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Download and run this.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Or go to www.pcpitstop.com and run a full system scan, free. You can trust that site.

Radar

Fryingpan Guest

Thanks

Fryingpan Guest

Worrying, a gig of my memory doesnt show

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Fryingpan wrote:

Worrying, a gig of my memory doesnt show

You have XP and more than 2 gigs?

http://www.memtest.org/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
oalvarezjr Trainee

the SOUND has got to be another of the most improved features. it is incredibly realistic and differs by a large degree as you change your view of the plane (spot view). i am finding that medium high settings with water at 2x and plane at ultra high work best for me.

so far so amazing. bugginess only occurs at the highest settings.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

im still playing around with eerything...... but I cant seem to get this thing worked out wwith my aircraft......

you know how when its early morning or late after noon and the sun is either setting or rising..... well the sun will shine on 1 side of the A/C and it looks spectacular but the other side where it doesnt shine it pitch black and i cant see a darned thing on it..... and its really annoying and i cant seem to get rid of this...ive turned all the shadows off ive found but i just cant seem to get it worked out.... any help on this situation is much appretiated.... Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

im still playing around with eerything...... but I cant seem to get this thing worked out wwith my aircraft......

you know how when its early morning or late after noon and the sun is either setting or rising..... well the sun will shine on 1 side of the A/C and it looks spectacular but the other side where it doesnt shine it pitch black and i cant see a darned thing on it..... and its really annoying and i cant seem to get rid of this...ive turned all the shadows off ive found but i just cant seem to get it worked out.... any help on this situation is much appretiated.... Wink

Adjust the time of the day in the main menu below airports.
You have up and down arrows.

Radar