SearchSearch 

FS X

Capt Lyon Guest

If I never comment on anything else in my life I will comment on Flight Sim X. On a scale from 1 to 10 I rate this at 9.95. There are a few cliches that I have noticed, but that well my be my pc. I am a pilot in real life and was a bit sceptical when I purchsed this simulator. I would definetly purchase it again. It is the most realistic game I have seen to date. To all who put their hearts ans souls into this you all get an "atta boy, you done good!!
Capt Lyon

6 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Once I get a machine that can handle it i'll agree with you...but give it a 10.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
atc1 Trainee

Capt Lyon wrote:

If I never comment on anything else in my life I will comment on Flight Sim X. On a scale from 1 to 10 I rate this at 9.95. There are a few cliches that I have noticed, but that well my be my pc. I am a pilot in real life and was a bit sceptical when I purchsed this simulator. I would definetly purchase it again. It is the most realistic game I have seen to date. To all who put their hearts ans souls into this you all get an "atta boy, you done good!!
Capt Lyon

I do agree that it is a phenomenal program. I have been trying it out this week. The only problem is...there is a massive memory leak. I fired up the program, and it took a modest 100 MB of memory to get to the menu. Okay, it is a motion menu, so I guess I can agree with that. The next thing that I did was opened up a flight, I watched the memory shoot up a whooping 600 MB. Performance of the game was nominal, even though I had to tweak it quite a bit to get it reasonable for flying. Next was the thing that I really enjoyed, I ended my flight, checking memory I was up to 1.1 GB of used memory, okay thrashing was more like it as I only have 1.0 GB of RAM in the laptop. When the menu popped back up, it didn't reuse the 100 MB it had previous, it decided to increase the RAM usage to 1.2GB. Suffice to say it was a challenge to get out of FS, however after waiting for the system, it did finally release the memory.

Overall, I do like the new features, but the specs on the box should say that for best performance...buy a new machine.

I guess I'll have to plan to have a CAD laptop just to play FSX.

Just my two cents. If you have a lot of $$$ or a brand new machine, I'm sure it runs great.

atc1

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Capt Lyon wrote:

Capt Lyon

Cool.There was a topic which generated a lot of unrest in the forum of whether an expert flight simmer would be able to handle a real aircraft or may be manage ..I would like to reverse this topic and ask Lyon some silly questions.Since you are a real pilot and that you have appreciated FSX and it's realism how do you feel of its utility to a real world pilot.Let me put down my questions:
1) Since you are a real world pilot and are aquainted with proper flying techniques how do you feel of FSX adding value to your flying skills?Would it be of value to you or is it that at the end it is a game and forget about it?Or would you be playing the sim to improve your skills?

2) How realistic is it in terms of all the theoretical flying information? eg flight model, procedures etc etc. Remember I am not talking about the feel of a real aircraft ().In short there is going to be a vast difference in a $50 simulator and a million dollar simulator.But if a flight simmer is well aquainted with the procedures and the proper techniques,how would it add value to him ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

In response to the mention of a memory leak, I agree. I am taxing my system to use FSX, so when anything is lost, it shows. If I put FSX on pause for about an hour, when I resume, everything blurs and can not be gotten "back into focus". If I end a flight and go back to the menu and start a new one, afer a few times, the same problem.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Memory leak?
I wonder if we have to go back to using MaxMem.
I used it on 98ME, a dog of a OS!

http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/download/system/maxmem.htm

Radar

HI
As a rea l world pilot and if I were just beginning flight training , yes it would be helpful. Its realistic in the scense that the controls work the same , the wx is close but it lacks the feel of the seat and raido work. All of the other controls that an aircraft have are shown but most dont work. Compared to a full size simulator , there is no comparison. In closing the FS X would aid in essna and being able to know what to do. This should never be attempted without having a flight instructor . There is a lot in real life when your in an ac that you will not get as a simmer. I fly the sim for fun with my brothers and nephues. Hagd
Capt Lyon

to_coolguys wrote:

Capt Lyon wrote:

Capt Lyon

Cool.There was a topic which generated a lot of unrest in the forum of whether an expert flight simmer would be able to handle a real aircraft or may be manage ..I would like to reverse this topic and ask Lyon some silly questions.Since you are a real pilot and that you have appreciated FSX and it's realism how do you feel of its utility to a real world pilot.Let me put down my questions:
1) Since you are a real world pilot and are aquainted with proper flying techniques how do you feel of FSX adding value to your flying skills?Would it be of value to you or is it that at the end it is a game and forget about it?Or would you be playing the sim to improve your skills?

2) How realistic is it in terms of all the theoretical flying information? eg flight model, procedures etc etc. Remember I am not talking about the feel of a real aircraft ().In short there is going to be a vast difference in a $50 simulator and a million dollar simulator.But if a flight simmer is well aquainted with the procedures and the proper techniques,how would it add value to him ?