SearchSearch 

Vid card and driver question?

Hawk_345 Guest

hey guys, my vid card now is a nvidea geforce FX5500 256mb, will this run FSX perfectly on fairly high setting sor will i need to upgrade to teh newer geforce FX6800?

11 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The better the card the better the performance.
Is paying extra for that card worth it, I don't know anything about either one.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

The 5500 will not run FSX as good as it did FS9. You will struggle. The 6800 will do a good job but please be aware that DX10 will be out in the near future and you will need a card that supports DX10. These are not currently available.

DX10 changes the whole way graphics are rendered. It takes the rendering away from the CPU (your processor) and makes the GPU (your graphics card processor) take the load. Currently, your CPU will do a share of the graphics along with your GPU.

Hawk_345 Guest

Ok then, but isent Drect x 10 only for windows vista, and im not going to get windows vista for a long time so im not sure what to do, im guessing that once direct X 10 is out a new nvidea driver will come out to suport it because not evry1 can go out and buy a new vid card that suprts dire\ct x10, i might not even be able tog et and fx6800,theres only a slight chance im able to ge that. Anyway thanks for the info.

Pro Member First Officer

DX10 will require a new graphics card that is built for DX10, there will be no driver to update a DX9 card to DX10. They will be built in a different way.

If you tell me your budget and whether you need AGP or PCI-E type card then I will suggest the best card for your money.

Please also indicate which Country you live in so I can recommend the best and cheapest provider.

Hawk_345 Guest

Well see its not up to me on buying, tis my parents see im only 15, i find that nvidea is the best for my uses and its what i know and what most games recomend these days. i just downlaod the newer version of demo and pout the settings to amx and the game worked fine, at sometiems it was a little chopy but evrything looked great,so i almost dont need a new 1 right away, im still getting FSX for sure,but its for my Bday wich is in 2weeks so i still got a long way to go and i might even get a new vid card for my bday so really its to soon to tell. Im still sad to ehar that even if i get a new card i might have to get anotehr 1 later for DX10.

Guest Guest

DX10 will not require a new graphics card. However, if you don't have a fully compliant DX10 card you will not be able to use all the DX10 features.

Regards.
Will

Pro Member First Officer

Yer, sorry.....I can see that my reply could of caused some confusion.

DX9 cards will work with DX10. DX10 has a backward compatability. However, If you are to actualy use DX10 you would need a DX10 card.

Hawk_345 Guest

yes now it makes more sense. Thanks, i just hope that DX10 cards will not be so expensive by the time i may be able to use it. Anyway im glad to see that DX9 will still be usable for at least 1 more year of games. Im just glad that my card now seems to run the demo perfectly on very high settings, hoefully this reflects its erformence ont eh actual game.

hey, I am currently using a Dell XPS400. I recently upgraded on NVidia's website to an NVidiaGeForce 7300 LE. I am on DirectX9.0c. I know very little about computers. Could anybody please tell me if the equipment I have listed above is sufficient for a high performance of Flight Simulator X? Also, I have read about this new driver mentioned above that is to be released soon. Will this device be compatible with my PC?
Thanks in advance 🙂

i have an nvidia 8800gts and that it is the only card i know of that is dx10 just noe that is

Anonymous wrote:

i have an nvidia 8800gts and that it is the only card i know of that is dx10 just noe that is

no need to rush into a DX10 card.
FSX is running DX9 right now. It won't be on DX10 until the end of this year.

p.s. not many things are on DX10 yet.