SearchSearch 

DILLEMA ALERT CODE RED HELP PLZ HELP!

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

my laptop wont start. Press the power button and its completely dead! Help!!! What do I do?

20 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Empty batteries?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Throw it away?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Call support?

Jamie4590 Guest

Remove the battery and mains cable and hold the power button in for 30 seconds while noting any lights that come on or flash. This discharges the system of power. Then replace the battery and see if it starts. Just an idea.

Pro Member First Officer
spitfiresrule First Officer

It would be so funny if the batteries were just dead 😂

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

this happened to me once, the battery was dead so i plugged it in and it didn't start so i started freaking out and it turns out the plug wasn't all the way in 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I watched a TV show where the two geeks responsible for IT related customer service had been banished (what else) to the deepest recesses of the basement.
They spend their working hours eating pizza, cursing at each other and fantasizing about the good looking women on the upper floors.
In order not to be interrupted by silly customer's complaints and enquiries they've attached a telephone receiver to an answering machine which intelligently answers each request with:

"Have you turned your computer on?"

or

"Are you sure the the powercord's plug has been inserted into the socket which can be found in the wall?"

Can you blame them? Geek

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

tailhook, are you talking about the IT Crowd?

Extremely bad news. The motherboard has had a Censored and decided it wants to take $700 out of my pocket Evil or Very Mad
My advice to everyone. Never EVER EVER buy Dell-no matter how good the deal is. EVER!

Anyways, Flightsimming has been suspended indefinately, and you will all hear from me again some day in hopefully the near future.

Bi*ching all over. Bye for now 😎

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Sorry to hear it. Excuse for a new pc, though, eh?

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sorry to hear about your dilemma brownbox. 700 bucks for a mobo? They're trying to rip you off again Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Sorry to hear that brownbox....For $700, you might aswell throw in another 300 and get yourself and good desktop. I think the motherboard is a tad overpriced 🙄

Good luck in getting back up 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Sorry to here your situation. I suggest that you get a desktop, $700 for a new motherboard is too much, you can get a whole new(low end) computer for that price. I think Flight Simulator is better on a desktop, you normally have a larger screen and more options for controllers and accessories.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

guys, im waaaaaay ahead of you all.

Excuse for a new pc, though, eh?

That would be my second new pc in half a year 😎

You know how I wansnt allowed to get a desktop before because of the parents etc...
Well, I changed their mind. Now heres what Im gonna do. My laptop is $1500 right? So, with a broken mobo, its -$700 making it $800. Im going to sell it for hopefully more than $500, and sell my bike for $150 and use my $240 to make something close to $900. Then Im getting a desktop, hopefully this one I was looking at
2.8Ghz P4
1GB DDR2 Ram
80GB HDD
onboard sound and video
Comes with Win XP Pro and some other useful junk

That is $650

A video card, ATI Radeon 9800 XT for $120 would be a nice addition to an AGP machine.

making $700 or something. This more than twice as good as my laptop, and its costing half the price.

Wish me luck with my plan

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

brownbox wrote:

Wish me luck with my plan

I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm - but you'll need plenty of that Hack

Fear More money down the drain. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

More money down the drain

Im not sure I get what you mean 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Look at the specs brownbox.

I'm assuming that sooner or later you'll be wanting to run FSX on that machine.

* 1 GB of RAM won't be enough, which means you'll have to spend money on extra RAM.

* 80 GB HDD are only found in PCs which are at least a year old. 80 GB will soon have you upgrade to a larger HDD, costing you more money. Today's standard is a minimum of 200GB.

* Onboard sound is 'ok' but onboard video is definitely NOT. You'll soon be shopping around for a proper GFX card - if you can find one... more expenses.

* XP Pro -- you do NOT NEED PRO (it only adds to the cost of your PC). XP Home Edition is all you need to run FS.

* '-and some other useful junk'. I know you have a healthy kind of humour, but, that junk is anything but useful and you're better off without it. Don't forget, you'll have to pay for that junk.

* Oh, and I almost forgot, stay away from a PC that has an AGP slot on its motherboard, that's old technology which will take you back to pre-historic times. PCIe is the current standard.

I wish for you to not jump from the fry pan into the fire... so in case you've missed my previous rants on this and similar topics, DON'T LISTEN TO THE SALES PEOPLE in the computer shops.

One more thing I almost overlooked: Go for an AMD based system instead of an Intel one, you'll be saving even more money and despite of what the AMD bashers have been saying recently, AMD is back on top. In short, you get more bang for buck!!

Now go meditate 😀

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

everyone is telling me pci-e is amazing and its so good and stuff and its amazing. Well, the thing is, Im not going to have the computer for long im sure. Me only being 15, I have many years of computer fun left, so this would just be something temporary to get me back on my feet.

but onboard video is definitely NOT.

My friend Tailhook, I may be stupid, but not so bad I dont know how crappy an onboard video card is 😂 (just kidding, im not that stupid 😛)

Windows XP Pro. Well, it seems to be standard on most computers that come with an OS so theres not much choice really.

Also, remember that I am not buying this pc, just looking.

Who knows?
For now, all im thinking is hoping that theyll be able to get all my stuff from my hard drive Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

brownbox wrote:

but onboard video is definitely NOT.

My friend Tailhook, I may be stupid, but not so bad I dont know how crappy an onboard video card is 😂 (just kidding, im not that stupid 😛)

Windows XP Pro. Well, it seems to be standard on most computers that come with an OS so theres not much choice really.

Brownbox if I thought you were stupid, I wouldn't bother. In my opinion you have more common sense than many twice your age.

About XP Pro - I do disagree with you. I know that vendors try to convince the unwary that Pro is the only way to go, but if you look around you'll see that many systems come with the Home version.

Anyway, good luck - just hoping that you're not jumping from the fry pan into the fire 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Good luck on your plan for the new computer, let us know how you make out. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

Brownbox if I thought you were stupid, I wouldn't bother. In my opinion you have more common sense than many twice your age.

Ahh thanks Tailhook! Although, it was only a joke 😎