Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

High Altitude FS Design Team - Recruiting

Pro Member Trainee
Tyler Miller (millertime) Trainee

This thread is also in FSX General, figured it may be more useful to put it here. The thread in the FSX General has same title as here.

Hey there folks. Im not new to FS, but I am new to the FS online community. I didnt really know if people liked to mod the game, but I figured it would be neat to setup a group/community that was interested in modding FS and paint schemes etc...

High Altitude is the name of the "organization" Im working on putting a site up and right now Im recruiting people who are interested in modding the game, painting aircraft, creating aircraft, etc... If you know how to use photoshop and whatnot and/or know how to mod and you are interested please email me and let me know, my email is millertime@linesystems.net. Look at my profile info for aim and msn. I use aim the most.

I think this will be fun and a neat way to do it as a team effort. Even if you arent a photoshop pro but really interested in painting aircraft, thats ok, Me or someone else can help you get the hang of it. The first thing im going to do is make an in-depth tutorial about painting aircraft and how to get your scheme in the game.

I just finished a Cessna 172 psd layered template, its a rough version but works fine if you know what your doing. If your interested in the template give me an email and Ill be glad to send it to you. Another goal I would like High Altitude to accomplish is creating aircraft layered psd templates for everyone to use and make painting alot easier and faster.

In addition, I was also thinking that it (High Altitude) would be a place to unite all the freelance modders/painters out there and share our resources and skills to come up with some really good quality stuff.

Thanks everyone,
Tyler Miller aka Millertime

email me if your interested! ideas, comments, hit me!
millertime@linesystems.net

high altitude website coming soon

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

in theory it is a very good however most modellers (there are few) have been snapped if any good by one of the numerous flight sim project groups.

everyone loves PSD kits though, i've done a few but i can't be bothered much anymore as many downloads i now use come with one.

i have a half finished project fokker kit if you're interested in completing it Wink

most limited of all are gauge programmers for any glass instruments. all steam or analog gauges should be made within the model (which requires a skilled person) as 2D panels are getting the boot by most.

so...if you want to make an impact you need to:

produce a business jet such as a falcon 50, including all systems, 3D switches and model gauges.

or at least that's what i want....

Pro Member Trainee

well, is anyone interested in making this work, it could be a success, it just needs people to be interested. and if anyone knows of any good sites for psd templates let me know i could learn from them.

plus, painting isnt hard, almost everyone can do that if they want to. I wasnt really going to get involved with actually creating aircraft, I was more or less talking about painting aircraft that have already been created. I jus tthrew modding in there cuz i figured more people the better. But for me, its mainly painting - not as much modding and whatnot.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

millertime wrote:

Even if you arent a photoshop pro but really interested in painting aircraft, thats ok, Me or someone else can help you get the hang of it. The first thing im going to do is make an in-depth tutorial about painting aircraft and how to get your scheme in the game.

It is not surprising that our texture artists who already have a reputation would have second thoughts about your proposal.
But many of us mere mortals would appreciate a new, in-depth painting tutorial as most of the currently available ones are outdated and extremely difficult to use for beginners.

I'll be looking forward to a new approach and am definately willing to try my hand at painting yet once again 😀

Pro Member Trainee

lol well so far its not lookin to good, this community is much different from the one im familiar with from nascar sims. Those people are willing to paint and do anything lol. anyways...
for now ill take your advice and just work on a tutorial.
Its the way i figured out how to do it, and it might be different from what most people are used to because im using the same approach i did from nascar paintschemes. FSX is alot easier to paint than older versions it seems like to me after looking at tutorials for those versions.

Ill post it back here in a week or so. Thanks for the advice maybe i thought about this the wrong way - the whole paint team thing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

millertime wrote:

lol well so far its not lookin to good, this community is much different from the one im familiar with from nascar sims. Those people are willing to paint and do anything lol. anyways...
Its the way i figured out how to do it, and it might be different from what most people are used to because im using the same approach i did from nascar paintschemes. FSX is alot easier to paint than older versions it seems like to me after looking at tutorials for those versions.

Ill post it back here in a week or so. Thanks for the advice maybe i thought about this the wrong way - the whole paint team thing.

We would all like to learn how to paint.
Look through this forum and you'll see that most of us at one time or another have tried.
We need a simple step by step "Dummies" guide to do it...at least the first time.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee

Yea i started thinking about how i was going to approach this, and its going to take a week or maybe a little more, but I think it will be good. Not a rush job that confuses, but a thorough tutorial for everyone, even people somewhat new to photoshop. Ill keep you posted. If you have any questions or ideas that you think should definatly go into the tutorial, if i havent thought of it already, let me know and ill see what i can do.

Thanks - I enjoy doin this kind of stuff.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Well, first of all Radarman's hit the nail on the head. So far, we've only had pretentious attempts at tutoring here at Flyaway.

millertime wrote:

Yea i started thinking about how i was going to approach this, and its going to take a week or maybe a little more, but I think it will be good. Not a rush job that confuses, but a thorough tutorial for everyone, even people somewhat new to photoshop. Ill keep you posted. If you have any questions or ideas that you think should definatly go into the tutorial, if i havent thought of it already, let me know and ill see what i can do.

Thanks - I enjoy doin this kind of stuff.

All of us with a keen interest would prefer you taking your time to produce a good tutorial instead of rushing and confusing us even more.

I have an idea that though it isn't exactly a part of the tutorial deserves mentioning - you've probably considered it already but just in case:

Give us an example tailored on an existing, popular aircraft which has the prospect of being available at a reputable library for a long time to come.

Also, do not hesitate to treat us like Dummies - because that's precisely what we are re texturing. The more you explain in your tut step by step, the less silly questions you'll have to put up with in the end.

I'm already celebrating 🍻

PS: Have you considered having someone proofreading or should I say 'proof-experimenting' your tut before you release it? Most newbies would be able to point out missing parts or such which are unnecessary to you.
Someone like you who is advanced can easily overlook what newbies are bound to spot. 😀

Pro Member Captain
Dave Copeland (davec) Captain

millertime wrote:

Interesting debate.
As a repainter (self taught) I would not suggest that repainting in FSX is easy - there are different types of texture files (DDS format, among others) which require quite a complex system of converting/reconverting - it is another ball game - I am at this moment trying to get my head round the system.
As far as a tutorial for FS9 repainting goes - there are problems - the basic one being the photo editor used - it is essential that the editor has layer properties - there are payware and freeware programs available - I would not advise the freeware, but the payware can be expensive - these include Adobe and Paintshop Pro. I actually use a UK based Serif Photo Plus (one tenth the price of Adobe/able to read PSD/PSP format and very much simpler to use than either of the other two). I have done 2 'one-on-one' repaint tutorials on a specific a/c via email. Result - one succes - he now paints without help. One failure - both will remain anonymous.
Any tutorial I would do, would be based on the Serif program.
If the presumed student has no experience/knowledge of photo(texture) editing then this has to be your first port of call - get conversant with the editor first. It would be an almost impossible task to do any repainting while also explaining the photo(texture) editing process. There are also many small free utilities (mainly by Martin Wright) which are also essential to easy repainting - their use would also need to be included in the tutorial. So it would seem that we now have two/three tutorial sections and we haven't got to the repainting bit yet!!!
To relieve the monotony of all these words as they say in Blue Peter - here is something I made earlier -

We can see that it all depends on the level of knowledge of the student and since the subject matter of the thread would appear to be 'Repainting for Dummies', the repainting process is a very steep curve of learning which takes more perseverance that most are willing to give.
That's my ten cents worth and probably not worth much more

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Why stifle a well meant endeavor in it's infancy?

Methods and the way projects and tasks are approached change - not necessarily for the worse.

Pro Member Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Why stifle a well meant endeavor in it's infancy?

Methods and the way projects and tasks are approached change - not necessarily for the worse.

I resent the accusation that I am trying to stifle anything and would like to know what you base that accusation on.
I joined an interesting debate on the subject of repainting, particlularly to tutorials - and since I have a little experience of the subject, I thought I could add to that debate.
I am grateful to you for pointing out the obvious, in the fact that things change and can change for the better - did I suggest anything otherwise?
My post was an attempt to outline the problems and pitfalls faced when trying to put together a universal tutorial for repainting, and certainly could not in anyway, be construed as an attempt to stifle any of Millertime's ideas or enthusiasm.
Did you get this opinion from Millertime or is it an original thought of your own?

Pro Member Trainee

no i did not advise anyone or do i advise anyone else to reply to other peoples messages, and i hear you, im new to this community so i dont really know too many people yet. But one thing is for sure, im making this tutorial, and the first half isnt even about getting your scheme into the game. Its about designing and knowing your way around the program, how to make photoshop work for you, and despit having another program, many of these programs you speak of have the same basic chassis - layers, brush tool, marquee tool, shape tool, different colors (hehe), and canvas. Regardless of program, you can at least take some ideas away from this. Dont rule this tutorial out if you dont have photoshop, if your determined enough youll be able to translate most of the stuff into your program.

And thanks for the point about most people have different programs and/or cant buy photoshop. I think the things you can take from this tutorial to be is going to be useful in your other programs, you just need to know how to do it. Especially paint shop pro. Paint shop pro is pretty similar to photoshop in terms of the interface.

Reccomdendation - Adobe Photoshop has a sister program called Adobe Photoshop Elements, which is less than 100 dollars US. Thats about a sixth of the price of photoshop. Having photoshop elements, the interface is pretty much identical.

Pro Member Captain

Hi - I am glad that you do not think that I was trying to stifle your attempt to produce a universal repaint tutorial. I take all your points in regard to photo editing software - I have the full Adobe software and the JASC Paint Shop on my computer and both programs are excellent - I sometimes use one or the other to create effects which are not common to all editors. Learners find it quite difficult to understand/use these two programs - my visits to help forums indicate that some get so frustrated they never finish the full tutorial - their words -'before the men in the white coats call for them!!' I know that this will not apply to you as it would seem that you would have the perseveraance to complete the course. This is why I emphasized that 'the first port of call' should be a good understanding of the editor that is to be used.
I use mainly Serif because it is the simplest and cheapest editor (with all the facilities of Adobe/JASC), that I have come across.
I assume that you have a depth of knowledge of aircraft texture files and the free software by Martin Wright which are almost all essential tools for repainting aircraft. All the necessary free utility programs can be found at - http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/
I would like to think that we could keep this contact up as I am very interested in your efforts - there is a PM(private message) facility on the forum where we could exchange views.