Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Racing Daylight in a B-58 Hustler

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

Had an interesting experience today flying from Paris France to Washington, DC, US. Left Paris at 7:00am in bright sunshine.

I was flying the B-58 (download by Massimo Altieri). I flew in daylight across the southern tips of England and Ireland and then awhile later noticed the sky getting darker.... and then stars started appearing. Nothing new with that except I was flying early in the morning and heading west... same direction as the sun that had risen a while before takeoff in Paris.

Soon I was in full darkness except for a hint of morning twilight directly behind me. I had reached that point in the flight flying between 600 and 900 kias. I knew it was supersonic but I didn't realize it could outpace the movement of daylight across the globe. Pretty cool!

I also pushed the limits with the B-58, flying up into and somewhere beyond 99,999 feet. I lost control after stalling up there and had a real time getting it back. Later I did a shallow dive to see what speed I could get it up to.... 1409kias before I had to pull up.

This flight left me with some questions regarding this a/c:

Anyway to put it on auto pilot? I looked at the key assignments but they wouldn't work. I also couldn't get the trimming key assignments to work on this a/c either.

I couldn't find any pushable/clickable buttons in the cockpit. Is this just me or is it that way for everyone? Am I missing something?

I couldn't bring up the gps with it either.

Its still a fun bird to fly. You just gotta keep a light hand on the stick the whole time.

meylan Guest

Hi SpiderWings , sounds like you had an exciting flight .Regarding the aircraft is it a free download , if so post a link to it and i'll see if it's the same for me . 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

meylan, I thought it was from AVSIM but I just tried finding it and its not there. I'm not sure where I got it from. But now I realize there are several out there. Maybe one is better. I'll have to try some others next time I get some time on a high-speed connection. The one I have is freeware. I downloaded quite a few a/c that day and was just happy it worked.... but it could definitely work better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Try this one by Massimo Altieri ➡

http://www.simviation.com/fs2002military35.htm

Fourth from the top 🙂)

meylan Guest

Spiderwings the one Tailhook suggests works well and the panel functions .
Question to Tailhook: i've have this problem ocassionaly , when removing an aircraft from your fs9 folder i delete the aircraft but i sometimes don't know what Gauges to delete because some of the Gauges get overwritten . Can i just leave the Gauges from the deleted aircraft dwell in the fs9 Gauge folder or is it best to get rid . Or is it best to not overwrite anything. Thanks 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

meylan wrote:

Spiderwings the one Tailhook suggests works well and the panel functions .
Question to Tailhook: i've have this problem ocassionaly , when removing an aircraft from your fs9 folder i delete the aircraft but i sometimes don't know what Gauges to delete because some of the Gauges get overwritten . Can i just leave the Gauges from the deleted aircraft dwell in the fs9 Gauge folder or is it best to get rid . Or is it best to not overwrite anything. Thanks 🙂

It's ok to leave the gauges in the fs9 gauges folder, they won't do any harm. Besides, it's safer this way because you won't inadvertently delete gauges which are needed by other aircraft.

A note on overwriting gauges: As a general rule it's best to overwrite the older gauges with the newer ones during installation.
Keep in mind though that this should be done on a one by one basis as the compiler of the .zip file often mixes new with old gauges.
I know this can become tedious, but it's worth the effort.

To complicate matters, there are occasions when a newer gauge is actually inferior to an older one, but this is quite rare.

If you find that your Gauge Directory swells up to unmanagable proportions, you could try this Utiliy and see how you fare ➡

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Richard+B%F6siger&CatID=root

I haven't worked with it yet because the size of my Gauge Directory hasn't bothered me so far, but it has been on my To-Do list for some time.

BTW here's something else that might come in handy:

When I install an aircraft where I think that I mightn't even keep it, I won't install gauges or effects straight away. So in case I decide to get rid of it, all I'll have to do is delete the aircraft in my Aircraft Directory. If I do decide to keep it, I install gauges and effects and additional sounds and whatever else there might be.

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

just one thing - dosent the sun rise in the east? I'm pretty sure it does (but could just be being stupid)

meylan Guest

Tailhook wrote:

It's ok to leave the gauges in the fs9 gauges folder, they won't do any harm. Besides, it's safer this way because you won't inadvertently delete gauges which are needed by other aircraft.

A note on overwriting gauges: As a general rule it's best to overwrite the older gauges with the newer ones during installation.
Keep in mind though that this should be done on a one by one basis as the compiler of the .zip file often mixes new with old gauges.
I know this can become tedious, but it's worth the effort.

To complicate matters, there are occasions when a newer gauge is actually inferior to an older one, but this is quite rare.

If you find that your Gauge Directory swells up to unmanagable proportions, you could try this Utiliy and see how you fare ➡

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Richard+B%F6siger&CatID=root

I haven't worked with it yet because the size of my Gauge Directory hasn't bothered me so far, but it has been on my To-Do list for some time.

BTW here's something else that might come in handy:

When I install an aircraft where I think that I mightn't even keep it, I won't install gauges or effects straight away. So in case I decide to get rid of it, all I'll have to do is delete the aircraft in my Aircraft Directory. If I do decide to keep it, I install gauges and effects and additional sounds and whatever else there might be.

Thanks for the reply , the gauge cleaner will come in handy later on as i only have about 12 aircraft installed for now . Great advice about not installing gauges and effects untill you decide to keep the aircraft and there's normally a jpg image of the panal and gauges if you need to see them.
Yes i've had a couple of cases when i've not overwriten a newer gauge with an older gauge and it didn't show in the aircraft . 🤔

Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mossy wrote:

just one thing - dosent the sun rise in the east? I'm pretty sure it does (but could just be being stupid)

I gather the latter is the case as you don't seem to have read any book in your whole life dealing with those subjects let alone done any research regarding those subjects.

Let me put it simply - where do you think the sun rises when you're in the East? 😁

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

mossy wrote:

just one thing - doesn't the sun rise in the east? I'm pretty sure it does (but could just be being stupid)

Yes it does, the earth rotates counter-clockwise(as viewed from above) at a rate of approximately 1,000 MPH at the equator.

Traveling 1,000 MPH East to West, would result in the sun maintaining position above you as you travel at the same speed as the earths rotation.

Traveling 1,000 MPH West to East, would result in you seeing the sun's apparent motion, double the normal rate. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

CRJCapt wrote:

mossy wrote:

just one thing - doesn't the sun rise in the east? I'm pretty sure it does (but could just be being stupid)

Yes it does, the earth rotates counter-clockwise(as viewed from above) at a rate of approximately 1,000 MPH at the equator.

Traveling 1,000 MPH East to West, would result in the sun maintaining position above you as you travel at the same speed as the earths rotation.

Traveling 1,000 MPH West to East, would result in you seeing the sun's apparent motion, double the normal rate. 🙂

And that was the fun thing about the flight in this topic... I was flying East to West.