Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Joystick Twisting Problem

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

I'm using Logitech's WingMan Force 3d.

Right from day one several years ago I've never been able to get it calibrate so that I can twist it as far to the left as I can to the right. On the little chart I can go clear to the right but only halfway to the left.

It doesn't seem to pose any problems in the air but sure seems to on taxiing and moving down a runway - more so in some aircraft than others. I usually have no problem making right turns on the ground, but left turns, especially at low speeds (under 5 knots) is a rather tedius process. I have to practically stop to avoid running into the grass and just let the a/c SLOWLY turn to the left.

I've pretty well talked myself into the notion that the reason for this is that most prop a/c have the props turning clockwise and seems I've heard of prop torque or something that does in fact make left turns more sluggish than right. Is that correct?

But then from time to time, like the other day with the Curtiss Jenny, it just seems way too different so I start looking at my joystick again. Even if there is an phenomenon to explain the left turn situation, I'd still like to be able to calibrate my joystick twist evenly.

Has anyone had a similar experience with this type of joystick problem? Could it be as simple as the way the stick handle is screwed onto the inner control mechanism?

5 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

I can't help you on this as i dont have a twisty joystick.

But i use the Keys Z, X, C on my keyboard, these act as rudders

Z= Left Rudder
X = Centre Rudder
C= Right Rudder

Its easier then moving the joystick on the ground. Pus rudders enable you to move at tighter angles.

Try it.

Pro Member First Officer

I'll have to experiment with key assignments Dannyboy. But the joystick is good for some aircraft where you have to do several things jointly to keep the plane taxiing in a controlled manner.... such as the Piper J3 Cub where you are using rudder, brakes, and aerlerons, and perhaps a steerable tail wheel (need to look that up) in delicate balance. I do manage fairly well with my limited twist but often wonder "what if it actually twisted more to the right?"

meylan Guest

I'm not sure Spiderwings it could be somthing to do with the deadzone or the range .What do use to calibrate it ? flight sim or the logitech profiler
seems weird that only one side of the twist function.

Pro Member First Officer

meylan wrote:

I'm not sure Spiderwings it could be somthing to do with the deadzone or the range .What do use to calibrate it ? flight sim or the logitech profiler
seems weird that only one side of the twist function.

I calibrate it within FS-9. I'm not sure how to do it in the logitech profiler but will check into that. From a purely mechanical sense, it seems like the handle just needs to be pulled off the shaft its mounted on and pushed back down a bit to the counter clockwise. But my mechanic confidence doesn't extend to computers and electronic tech. Shoot I just barely know how to change my oil on the Jeep and nothing else.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone has had any experience along these lines with a joystick. I've learned to live with it and still have a ton of fun flying with it.

Meylan Guest

Yes it does sound like a physical problem but my logitech extreme 3d pro never worked properly until i used the profiler, planes used to always veer off to the left . Like you said if you can live with it, happy days . 🙂