Please post 'virgin' FSX.CFG file

Guest Guest

Can someone please post a 'fresh install' FSX.CFG file? I've looked and looked (and 'shown hidden files and directories' etc and done the search) and it just isn't there. I've done three seperate installs (don't ask) and this file does not exist for me anywhere, neither the Docs and Settings directory nor the Microsoft Games/FSX directory.

I want to implement some tweaks (seperate out autogen trees and buildings etc) to improve performance but don't have the file to edit...

thanks

Answers 33 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Guest wrote:

Can someone please post a 'fresh install' FSX.CFG file? I've looked and looked (and 'shown hidden files and directories' etc and done the search) and it just isn't there. I've done three seperate installs (don't ask) and this file does not exist for me anywhere, neither the Docs and Settings directory nor the Microsoft Games/FSX directory.

I want to implement some tweaks (seperate out autogen trees and buildings etc) to improve performance but don't have the file to edit...

thanks

Mine isn't a virgin (nothing around here is). You should find it in "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG"

Guest Guest

Dear Crash, thank you for your quick but totally useless response. As I have already indicated in my original post, I have searched my system for the missing file yet was unsuccessfull in finding it. I used the OS specific Search function, being carefull to include not only hidden/system files but also elected to search ALL DRIVES (partitions) on my system. A second round of searching, this time for the the text "[TERRAIN]" in files, unfortunately also yielded no results.

I have lurked around here for the past few weeks (since legally obtaining my copy of FSX from a fully qualified retailer) and am fully aware of where the file SHOULD be. I have also installed the product on 3 separate computers but am unable to locate a single copy of this file across all the disk drives on these three machines.

While I appreciate that your copy of the file may have already been modified, at this point I am willing to accept anything just to get the basics so that I can get going. If you would be willing to submit your file I would greatly appreciate it.

If not, and your impulse is to respond with 'its stored here....' Don't.

Pro Member Trainee
jhausner Trainee

Good job on insulting someone that assumed you had common sense and read some of the other posts that covered this already on these forums... guest.

Your problem is you need to set Windows to "SHOW ALL HIDDEN FILES."

I suggest you search on "Hidden Files" and you'll probably find your answer. Once you do that, you'll see the Documents and Settings folder and I'm sure can figure the rest out on your own.

Why can people post annonymously on these forums? Boggles the mind.

Guest Guest

Please re-read both my first and second posts... I have already searched on all hidden files/directories and system files.....

Surely someone out there knows how to open a test editer, open their existing FSX.CFG file, copy all lines and paste this into a post???!!!???

thanks in advance

Pro Member Chief Captain

I certainly know how to do that. When? I'm checking the temperature in hell.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

... isn't a virgin (nothing around here is).

I resent that Banned

Pro Member Chief Captain

Don't. It's highly overrated.

Pro Member Trainee
jhausner Trainee

Sorry but I agree with Captain on this one. I doubt you'll get your file here and I doubt very much you've actually looked because if you don't have documents and settings, you must be running Windows ME/98. If you are then my suggestion is to upgrade as FSX will be horrible under those almost decade old opperating systems.

If you are in fact running Windows 2000 or XP, then you in fact have those folders, and because you can't find them, I doubt very much you have the OS set to see hidden files correctly.

My suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Technical support and explain to them the problem. I don't know why people insist on asking technical support questions on game forums and not contacting the actual technical support.

meylan Guest

jhausner wrote:

Sorry but I agree with Captain on this one. I doubt you'll get your file here and I doubt very much you've actually looked because if you don't have documents and settings, you must be running Windows ME/98. If you are then my suggestion is to upgrade as FSX will be horrible under those almost decade old opperating systems.

If you are in fact running Windows 2000 or XP, then you in fact have those folders, and because you can't find them, I doubt very much you have the OS set to see hidden files correctly.

My suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Technical support and explain to them the problem. I don't know why people insist on asking technical support questions on game forums and not contacting the actual technical support.

I was under the impression FSX needs XP sp2 or vista .

Pro Member Trainee
jhausner Trainee

meylan wrote:

I was under the impression FSX needs XP sp2 or vista .

Didn't know that since I don't read box requirements typically (bad habbit). If so then my second part of my post applies 100% and 'guest' needs to just not be dumb and contact Microsoft since he/she apparently has a different version of Windows XP than every other person on the planet.

Meylan Guest

I know you've said that you have done this already but lets just make sure .

start>my computer>local disk>documents and setting>your user name >application data>microsoft>fsx. how far do you get ? or do you get all the way but the fsx file is not in there.

Guest Guest

jhausner wrote:

Well, first of all, I see no post in this thread by 'Captain'; can I assume that you're refering to Crash? If this is the case, the title appears misplaced.

Secondly, I am indeed running XP SP2 and I do have the requisite Docs and settings folders. I don't believe anywhere in my initial posts did I state that these folders did not exist; only that the specific file was no where to be found. Once again, it would appear that in your haste to spout some drivel that you think might make you appear knowledgable, you forgot to ACTUALLY READ THE WORDS.

Thirdly, I have come to the conclusion that many members here take great pleasure in responding to legitimate posts with snarky, demeaning comments. A small number of members respond time and time again with useless information that 90% of the time have nothing to do with the content of the post and serve only to make them feel superior to those of us who are attempting to garner legitimate information or assistance from those that preport (althought I now have my doubts) to be on the bleeding edge of this technology (FSX specifically).

Fourthly, perhaps you are right and I will not get my file here HOWEVER DO NOT for one minute suggest that I should take this up with tech support and chastise me for 'asking technical support question on game forums' when 80% of the posts here ask about installation problems, error codes, validation problems and performance options; the first three are most definately tech support issues. I am merely trying to get the configuration file which will allow me to play the GAME to its fullest potential given the limited resources I have currently to run it on....

Oh, and re the file... thanks for nothin'. I will be reviewing the installation DVDs and looking for it there, either in plain file format, or compressed in one of the installation CAB files and manually decompressing it.

Gees stop being gay and give the guy what he wants........

here is my "VIRGIN" fsx.cfg file..

[SOUND]
AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000
SOUND_FADER1=0.500000
SOUND_FADER2=0.500000
SOUND_FADER3=0.500000
SOUND_FADER4=0.510000
AmbientUIMusic=FSX01
SOUND=1
SOUND_QUALITY=2
SOUND_LOD=0
UISound=1
AmbientUI=1
[Display]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64
NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255
NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64
InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0
InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0
InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255
InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128
InfoBrakesEnable=True
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=True
InfoPauseEnable=True
InfoSlewEnable=True
InfoStallEnable=True
InfoOverspeedEnable=True
BLOOM_EFFECTS=1
SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=15
WideViewAspect=False
[Main]
User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter
SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc
Maximized=1
Location=60,22,1092,796,\\.\DISPLAY1
HideMenuNormal=0
HideMenuFullscreen=1
[PANELS]
IMAGE_QUALITY=1
DEFAULT_VIEW=0
QUICKTIPS=1
PANEL_OPACITY=100
PANEL_MASKING=1
PANEL_STRETCHING=1
UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0
[Weather]
WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1
MinGustTime=10
MaxGustTime=500
MinGustRampSpeed=1
MaxGustRampSpeed=200
MinVarTime=5
MaxVarTime=50
MinVarRampSpeed=10
MaxVarRampSpeed=75
TurbulenceScale=1.000000
WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.com
WeatherServerPort=80
WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0
AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1
DynamicWeather=2
DownloadWindsAloft=0
DisableTurbulence=0
CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=3
DETAILED_CLOUDS=1
CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=6
THERMAL_VISUALS=0
[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT .0]
Mode=1024x768x32
[CONTROLS]
Controls_Default=Standard
Controls_Current=Standard
KBDAIL=64
KBDELEV=64
KBDRUD=64
[TextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
[TextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
GForce=1,3
FuelPercentage=1,4
[TextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
GForce=2,3
FuelPercentage=2,4
[SlewTextInfo.1]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
[SlewTextInfo.2]
FrameRate=1,1
LockedFrameRate=1,2
[SlewTextInfo.3]
Latitude=1,1
Longitude=1,2
Altitude=1,3
Heading=1,4
AirSpeed=1,5
FrameRate=2,1
LockedFrameRate=2,2
[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
MaxHeadAngle=5.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.300000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000
[VirtualCopilot]
VirtualCopilotActive=1
[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=256
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=0
[USERINTERFACE]
PageID=0
ShowAllACPaintSchemes=0
SelectAircraftManufacturer=All
SelectAircraftPublisher=All
SelectAircraftType=All
OpenATCOnCreate=0
SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=1
PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=1
PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1
SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM
Map_Orientation=2
[Trusted]
H:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\GAUGES\Bendix_King_Radio.DLL.ncroeehhhqcehhecqkwbnaztlwtlrtwlbhorrczw=2
[ATC]
ShowATCText=1
COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFF
COMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6
COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21B
COMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00
COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840
AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=1
UsePilotVoice=1
PilotVoice=0
[PointOfInterestSystem]
CycleSetting=0
[SCENERY]
LENSFLARE=1
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=2
[TrafficManager]
AirlineDensity=7
GADensity=7
FreewayDensity=16
ShipsAndFerriesDensity=7
LeisureBoatsDensity=6
IFROnly=0
AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=1
[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=3.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=41
MESH_RESOLUTION=19
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=23
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=1
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=3
[AContain]
ShowLabels=1
ShowUserLabel=0
ShowLabelManufacturer=1
ShowLabelModel=1
ShowLabelTailNumber=1
ShowLabelDistance=1
ShowLabelAltitude=1
ShowLabelAirline=0
ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0
ShowLabelFlightPlan=0
ShowLabelContainerId=0
ShowLabelAirspeed=0
ShowLabelHeading=0
LabelDelay=1000
LabelColor=FFFF0000
[INTERNATIONAL]
ASLAT=2
ASLON=1
MEASURE=0
[REALISM]
PFactor=0.500000
Torque=0.500000
GyroEffect=0.500000
CrashTolerance=0.500000
General=0.500000
UnlimitedFuel=False
TrueAirspeed=False
AutoCoord=False
RealMixture=False
StressDamage=False
GEffect=False
ManualLights=True
GyroDrift=False
CrashWithDyn=False
CrashDetection=False
AutoTrim=False
[SIM]
SYSCLOCK=1
[STARTUP]
DEMO=0
SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1
STARTUP_DEMO=
LoadWindow=1
[FACILITIES]
COUNTRY=Canada
STATE=Ontario
CITY=London
GTL_BUTTON=1589
[Misc]
Com_Rate=7
[MULTIPLAYER]
condAccoutPassword=0
VoiceVolume=1.020000

Guest Guest

Many thanks Guest... Finally, someone more interested in the post than making a point.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Guest wrote:

Many thanks Guest... Finally, someone more interested in the post than making a point.

You, Mr. Guest shouldn't be surprised at all at the fact that some members are more interested in making a point than in your anonymous post.

For the sake of common courtesy and respect you could at least for the time being assume a name - surely you didn't need me to tell you this.

Jamie4590 Guest

If your stuck on choosing a name choose an animal. Giraffe, Otter and Sausage dog are taken though.

Guest with no name Guest

I fail to see why simply posting with the name Guest is in any way disrespectful. In this case, I do need you to tell me (why)..

For the record, I did assume a name in a series of earlier posts and was met with exactly the same kind of ignorance and disrespect that you claim this time was garnered due to my anonymity..... I can't win; it would seem that I am damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Oh and please explain to me how the name TailHook is any less anonymous than Guest???!!

Guest Guest

I can't help it my name really is Guest 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Guest Guest

I think it boils down to the fact that the Guest posters are not full members and some feel bitter about that. What is'nt realised is that it does not advertise the forum to would be full members.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If 3 people use guest in one thread how do we know who we are talking to.
That's the only reason I like to see someone use a name, as far as this thread goes that's up to you and whoever you are dealing with at the time.

Radar

The guests here seem to want a real answer here so just give it to them and stop being such little Censored

Censored By Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Murfi First Officer

Everybody was only trying to help, apart from you insulting people. Ye you said what you want but if somebody doesn't understand or tries to help you another way don't have a go at them.

Guest wrote:

I can't help it my name really is Guest 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Ha ha! I almost fell of my seat, and I need knew trousers...

Seriously, you should become a comedian!

You should hear the sarcasm in that and therefore use a different name.

Guest Guest

Another guest to confuse you.

🙄

Matt001 Guest

Anonymous wrote:

Gees stop being gay and give the guy what he wants....(snip!)

I was thinking that perhaps Guest will find his fsx.cfg file when he creates a new one with the content of the above post and is prompted with "File FSX.cfg already exists. Would you like to replace it?" Otherwise, maybe a screen dump of the directory structure would assist Guest to allocate the file to the correct folder of FSX (can't do it myself as I'm at work at the moment).

By the way, with further reference to the above post: given a lack of choice in biochemical make-up, being gay is not something people are able to (or even should) stop. It's obvious that the above poster didn't mean gay as in literally 'homosexual', which is actually what bugs me (ie, the implication being "gay = stupid"). Just thought I'd add that while we're on the subject of insults and offensive posts.

Cheers,

Matt.

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

Guest wrote:

jhausner wrote:

Well, first of all, I see no post in this thread by 'Captain'; can I assume that you're refering to Crash? If this is the case, the title appears misplaced.

Secondly, I am indeed running XP SP2 and I do have the requisite Docs and settings folders. I don't believe anywhere in my initial posts did I state that these folders did not exist; only that the specific file was no where to be found. Once again, it would appear that in your haste to spout some drivel that you think might make you appear knowledgable, you forgot to ACTUALLY READ THE WORDS.

Thirdly, I have come to the conclusion that many members here take great pleasure in responding to legitimate posts with snarky, demeaning comments. A small number of members respond time and time again with useless information that 90% of the time have nothing to do with the content of the post and serve only to make them feel superior to those of us who are attempting to garner legitimate information or assistance from those that preport (althought I now have my doubts) to be on the bleeding edge of this technology (FSX specifically).

Fourthly, perhaps you are right and I will not get my file here HOWEVER DO NOT for one minute suggest that I should take this up with tech support and chastise me for 'asking technical support question on game forums' when 80% of the posts here ask about installation problems, error codes, validation problems and performance options; the first three are most definately tech support issues. I am merely trying to get the configuration file which will allow me to play the GAME to its fullest potential given the limited resources I have currently to run it on....

Oh, and re the file... thanks for nothin'. I will be reviewing the installation DVDs and looking for it there, either in plain file format, or compressed in one of the installation CAB files and manually decompressing it.

Hmmmm, and you seriously think that people will want to help you when you are as rude as that.......the mind boggles!!

Grow up and treat people with a little respect, its quite possible that you will then get a bit further in life!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Guest with no name wrote:

Oh and please explain to me how the name TailHook is any less anonymous than Guest???!!

Because... Madam Genius, Tailhook is my Log In Name, which means it's the same every time I post... get it?

The way it works, we humans associate names with things, concepts etc. The end result of that being our language. So, if today you call yourself Clint Eastwood and then the next day you choose the name Beetroot, I get all confused and I don't know who I'm talking to.
I would never ask you about your gender, your age, your religion and all those other meaningless points of contention, for the simple reason that none of that is any of my business. I do want to have an identifying tag though, and that's what a name is - nothing more, nothing less.
So, when I converse with Clint Eastwood today, I'll know that the Clint Eastwood tomorrow is the same person, whether I like him or not is irrelevant.
"Guest with no name" indicates a certain ridicule of the whole concept - a sort of 'catch me if you can' attitude. That is unfair and not playing by the rules. If indeed you have been lurking for some time, then you would have noticed that Guests who use the same username all the time are well respected.
You could try and do the same 😉

guest with no name Guest

Well I think you're all nobs...lol

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

guest with no name wrote:

Very profound and insulting at the same time. My conversation with you has come to an end. Amen.

Pro Member First Officer
Murfi First Officer

guest with no name wrote:

Don't be such a hypocrite!

Like causing havoc? Like insulting people? Get a life and don't be such a tube.

Guest with no name Guest

For the record, I am the person who opened this thread but I did not make the 'nob' comment..... Now that the tables have been turned, you may have a point re registering..... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Murfi First Officer

Thats why I think guests should have some sort or registering thing but they only get the same priveledges as guests, but that´s not a good idea but you know.

You could be lieing and if you don´t won´t things to get pointed at you you should register an accoutn so we know who is who, but thats up to you if you won´t to get blamed. Then again you may be telling the truth.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Gees stop being gay and give the guy what he wants........

Stop being a bigot.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Locked!

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...