SearchSearch 

are people too hard on Guest posters?

Guest Guest

I'm trying to express freindly natured opinion and should'nt be seen as an attempt to cause an argument 🙂

I just find some posters have no patience with some Guest posts. Its such a shame because most of the posts are just asking for advice. Remember guest posters could likely be posters that have never used this forum and want to see what its about.

Thanks for reading 🙂

51 Responses

murjax Guest

I agree. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

some of the members do have an air of snobbery about them, like "i paid to be a member so i am better then you...etc"
i think having guests is good as it would get boring with the same old members. 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Absolutely - guests should always be, and are, respected here - its just that with fsX, there has been a fairly large population sample emerge.

Most are fine, yet the bad apples will always stand out.

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

If your going to post as a guest at least think of a damn name to use. Otherwise your just another random guest and I could care less about what you have to say.

Guest Guest

Solotwo wrote:

If your going to post as a guest at least think of a damn name to use. Otherwise your just another random guest and I could care less about what you have to say.

You never care either way 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

If I see a guest posting with the same name everytime I know who they are and care what they have to say if its worth while. If a guest is too lazy to think of a different name to use they are just one of the many random guests that post everyday. And I just don't care.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

As a guest stay civilized(and members too of course) they are more than welcome here. ❗

Personally i don't care about names.Only for posts contents.Feel free to put your questions and also feel free to say your opinions.

We all were guests before become members here.We must not forget it. ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

I treat them as i would a member, they get no more or less treatment from me....

guessed Guest

As a new visitor, I am not sure I would fit in here. If the members are well-experienced and real world pilots, then I am probably in over my head as I have never flown a real plane. Simmers vary from mere dabblers to very serious commercial pilots. For now I am just browsing and testing the waters. I consider myself as a casual sim-pilot who is very good at navigation, but who is lousy at the controls. I skip over many of the lessons and haven't even tried most of the planes in my sim yet. I am very fortunate in that I meet commercial pilots on occasion through my job and they give me advice. This one-on-one contact has been invaluable to me and I am happy to pass on any tips I learn to others here.

Guest Ed Guest

As a long-time guest poster here, I think that you get what you give. If you come here and introduce yourself, take part in the conversation, and contribute what you can, you will be cordially received and welcomed.

If you treat this site like an on-line database, and put up three posts in ten minutes about something that's already been asked and discussed a thousand times ("i just got the game yesterday, how do you land a 747 on autopilot, how do i install the airplane i just downloaded from avsim without looking at the readme file?"), you may not be well received.

guessed, I think casual simmers and dabblers are quite welcome here; I consider myself to be one. I've just been at it for a few years, so sometimes I have suggestions to offer regarding my favorite aircraft or locations. And the members have always made me feel welcome.

Ed

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

I treat guest nicely, unless one of them makes a stupid comment or asks idiotic posts e.g. the guy wanting peoples names and addresses Mad .

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

As Greekman said, we were all guests before becoming members! I posted many times as a guest before becoming a member and recieved nothing but cordiality,friendliness and some very helpful advice.that's why i felt i wanted to become a part of what is generally a very friendly, helpful site! I know there are the odd exceptions but i think these are really few and far between. That's why i try to emulate the good people that helped me, by being friendly and helpful to all, whether guest or member!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Guest wrote:

I'm trying to express freindly natured opinion and should'nt be seen as an attempt to cause an argument 🙂

I just find some posters have no patience with some Guest posts. Its such a shame because most of the posts are just asking for advice. Remember guest posters could likely be posters that have never used this forum and want to see what its about.

Thanks for reading 🙂

Had you assumed a name even only for this one occasion, I would have looked at your post in a completely different light.

Never having used this or any other forum is no excuse. "...want to see what its about." What do you SEE with? I do it with my eyes.

To post as a guest at any bulletin board would require the ability and willingness to read and basic common sense, preferably both.

Even if only one of those two requirements is present, the prospective poster will have the decency to assume at least a ficticious name. Please, don't ask me why this is so important.

To say, 'hey I just forgot to type in a name... what's the big deal anyway' is a sign of total ignorance and disrespect.

And you are asking: 'are people too hard on Guest posters?'

Your question is irrelevant and reflects your lack of effort. Had you read more than the occasional post here, you would have noticed that Guests who follow the rules and don't hide behind 'Anonymous' are fittingly treated like brothers.

Personally, I have no time for anonymous guests who lack manners.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

As Greekman said, we were all guests before becoming members! I posted many times as a guest before becoming a member and recieved nothing but cordiality,friendliness and some very helpful advice.that's why i felt i wanted to become a part of what is generally a very friendly, helpful site! I know there are the odd exceptions but i think these are really few and far between. That's why i try to emulate the good people that helped me, by being friendly and helpful to all, whether guest or member!

Not all, I was never a guest. I paid my 5 bucks just so I could download crappy freeware, then decieded to start posting in the forums.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

Welshflyer wrote:

As Greekman said, we were all guests before becoming members! I posted many times as a guest before becoming a member and recieved nothing but cordiality,friendliness and some very helpful advice.that's why i felt i wanted to become a part of what is generally a very friendly, helpful site! I know there are the odd exceptions but i think these are really few and far between. That's why i try to emulate the good people that helped me, by being friendly and helpful to all, whether guest or member!

Not all, I was never a guest. I paid my 5 bucks just so I could download crappy freeware, then decieded to start posting in the forums.

Then found out you can get the same for free on Avsim & Flightsim. But BETTER QUALITY.

That was my mistake as well.

TurboProb Guest

Tailhook wrote:

Guest wrote:

I'm trying to express freindly natured opinion and should'nt be seen as an attempt to cause an argument 🙂

I just find some posters have no patience with some Guest posts. Its such a shame because most of the posts are just asking for advice. Remember guest posters could likely be posters that have never used this forum and want to see what its about.

Thanks for reading 🙂

Had you assumed a name even only for this one occasion, I would have looked at your post in a completely different light.

Never having used this or any other forum is no excuse. "...want to see what its about." What do you SEE with? I do it with my eyes.

To post as a guest at any bulletin board would require the ability and willingness to read and basic common sense, preferably both.

Even if only one of those two requirements is present, the prospective poster will have the decency to assume at least a ficticious name. Please, don't ask me why this is so important.

To say, 'hey I just forgot to type in a name... what's the big deal anyway' is a sign of total ignorance and disrespect.

And you are asking: 'are people too hard on Guest posters?'

Your question is irrelevant and reflects your lack of effort. Had you read more than the occasional post here, you would have noticed that Guests who follow the rules and don't hide behind 'Anonymous' are fittingly treated like brothers.

Personally, I have no time for anonymous guests who lack
manners.

I have a name 😛

You missed the point quite frankly because there is a portion of guests that happen to find a link to this through google. They come on this site, but not fully understanding the forum well.
Its likely that there are many people who have puchased Flight simulator and are interested in discussing it. They find this site and use the name 'Guest', but not knowing that it Censored people off. Then the newbie gets a hostile responce and probably does not want to come back again.
Now theres also a way of responding thats constructive and not just plain rude like some on here. If the subject has been covered before then just state "This has been discussed before and using the search might help you find something useful".

Anyway even with a name I could be called steve one day and be edward the next.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

TurboProb wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Guest wrote:

I'm trying to express freindly natured opinion and should'nt be seen as an attempt to cause an argument 🙂

I just find some posters have no patience with some Guest posts. Its such a shame because most of the posts are just asking for advice. Remember guest posters could likely be posters that have never used this forum and want to see what its about.

Thanks for reading 🙂

Had you assumed a name even only for this one occasion, I would have looked at your post in a completely different light.

Never having used this or any other forum is no excuse. "...want to see what its about." What do you SEE with? I do it with my eyes.

To post as a guest at any bulletin board would require the ability and willingness to read and basic common sense, preferably both.

Even if only one of those two requirements is present, the prospective poster will have the decency to assume at least a ficticious name. Please, don't ask me why this is so important.

To say, 'hey I just forgot to type in a name... what's the big deal anyway' is a sign of total ignorance and disrespect.

And you are asking: 'are people too hard on Guest posters?'

Your question is irrelevant and reflects your lack of effort. Had you read more than the occasional post here, you would have noticed that Guests who follow the rules and don't hide behind 'Anonymous' are fittingly treated like brothers.

Personally, I have no time for anonymous guests who lack
manners.

I have a name 😛

You missed the point quite frankly because there is a portion of guests that happen to find a link to this through google. They come on this site, but not fully understanding the forum well.
Its likely that there are many people who have puchased Flight simulator and are interested in discussing it. They find this site and use the name 'Guest', but not knowing that it Censored people off. Then the newbie gets a hostile responce and probably does not want to come back again.
Now theres also a way of responding thats constructive and not just plain rude like some on here. If the subject has been covered before then just state "This has been discussed before and using the search might help you find something useful".

Anyway even with a name I could be called steve one day and be edward the next.

It is not I who missed the point but you. Obviously reading and contemplating doesn't rate high on your list of priorities.
If you were to search through my posts you'd find at least a dozen in which I stated that googling is precisely the reason why so many newbies end up here at Flyaway. Now just try and guess how I came to that conclusion in the first place... please don't make me spell it out.

The purpose of my previous post was that to say 'I don't understand how forums work' is NOT an acceptable excuse.
If you don't understand, you enquire - I thought that was pretty logical. You read, you think and you observe before you open your mouth. This has been appropriate behaviour through the ages and is still appropriate today in cyberspace.

I challenge you to link me to ANY forum that doesn't have the 'Stickies' and the code of conduct prominently displayed at the top of the page.

More logic, while we're at it: If you happen to know anyone who actually reads books, ask them where they start to read. If they answer that they start somewhere in the middle of the book or toward the end, then they are simply nuts and I'd suggest for you to sever your ties with them.

Guess what...? The same sensible system applies to how you read a web page you just discovered.

If the subject has been covered before then just state "This has been discussed before and using the search might help you find something useful".

This is utter nonsense because it is impractical and expected only by those who live in fairy land. There is absolutely no reason for stating the obvious over and over again if the newbies read the Stickies and FAQ before they start talking gobbledegook.

Anyway even with a name I could be called steve one day and be edward the next.

You don't say. Read some of the posts I wrote over the last few hours.

Jamie4590 Guest

Choose your own adventure books can often involve jumping forward and back several chapters to progress the story but they always begin at the beginning. 😉

Turboprop Guest

So being helpful and polite is impractical? you really are warped if you think rudeness is acceptable. Well good luck too you if you have those values 🙄

As usual your view is right of way and everybody else is talking Bull***. By the way I don't actually want to search through all your posts because quite frankly you aint that great.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Names are irrelevant. Content is relevant.

Turboprop Guest

lenin wrote:

some of the members do have an air of snobbery about them, like "i paid to be a member so i am better then you...etc"
i think having guests is good as it would get boring with the same old members. 😂 😂 😂

Too true

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Yes its true. ❗
Ignorance is the best way 😉
Don't feed them...They satisfy their pointless self-assumption of being the Mr.Perfect.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Turboprop wrote:

So being helpful and polite is impractical? you really are warped if you think rudeness is acceptable. Well good luck too you if you have those values 🙄

As usual your view is right of way and everybody else is talking Bull***. By the way I don't actually want to search through all your posts because quite frankly you aint that great.

Interesting. So I'm the one thinking that rudeness is acceptable. Help me out here - what is the meaning of Bull***?
Surely you can find a more refined expression, seeing that I am the one who endorses rudeness and is warped? Now, you wouldn't be rude to me, would you?

By the way, thanks for wishing me good luck... erm... I don't know how to say this without sounding rude... I am so sorry but I don't believe in luck. Apparently we have reached the 21st century CE and you might find that difficult to fathom, but I try to think accordingly... you know, exchanging rational thought for superstition... stuff like that.

By the way I don't actually want to search through all your posts because quite frankly you aint that great.

Come on now, I wasn't born yesterday. You know that I'm great, you just can't get yourself to say it. No hard feelings from my side though, this is indeed a very common weakness; and true to my understanding nature, I won't tell anyone that the real reason why you wo'nt search through all my posts is simply because you don't have a clue how to do it.

Only my opinion of course and... friendly to you 😉 😀

Turboprop Guest

Was'nt you suppose to trim that signature picture of yours? 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

450 wide by 240 high

346X392=You lose it

Turboprop Guest

CRJCapt wrote:

450 wide by 240 high

346X392=You lose it

I Thought tailhook took notice of the stickies.....well thats the impression I had.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

i am surprised how i have managed to stay out of this. 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Turboprop wrote:

Was'nt you suppose to trim that signature picture of yours? 😂

Who me? I know of no such thing... I'm innocent 😳

...and remember: égalité

Oh what the heck...

Until very recently my signature consisted of no more than this:

US and THEM...

and after all - we're only ordinary men...

Unobtrusive and innocent enough I thought especially since my avatar at the time was an album cover of Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. As every Pink Floyd fan knows, one of the haunting songs on that album begins with the lyrics: Us and them... and after all we're only ordinary men...

...but, one of the venerated members found fault even with that so I changed my signature, got rid of the offensive words and used a small animated gif instead which was supposed to appeal to those with oversized signatures to be more considerate. The words on the gif were: Size matters - Plz Consider - Thank You.
I kept that for several weeks but not surprisingly, considering my enormous popularity amongst the cream of the crop here, my plea fell on deaf ears, or should that be blind eyes.

Fact: The rules don't apply to everyone because as we know, all men are created equal... I know, I know it's paradoxical but hey, who am I to argue 😁

So I came up with this brilliant idea: In true fashion with forum etiquette there shouldn't be posts or allusions to religious, political or ethnic matters- yet, the display of flags abounds both as avatars and signatures. Everybody is entitled to their opinion I'm told, so my opinion is that I find the blatant display of national flags an expression of patriotism and thus political. It reminds me of the old 'Us And Them' thing you see. We are better than you because our flag looks prettier.

What to do? If you can't beat them, join them - I was told. So I found myself a beautiful French flag, French because everybody hates the French (how stupid is that?) and I just couldn't go past this pretty face you can see in my signature now. I do hope you've noticed the tricolor on her lips. And of course, the signature had to be big. And would you believe it, no sooner had I introduced my beautiful new signature to the world, the formerly worst offenders re sig size started shrinkink theirs.

To be honest, I wasn't surprised. I was serious when I said earlier on that I wasn't born yesterday. People are so predictive. Games, games, games - cat and mouse.

Now I know that you really didn't wanna hear any of this, but I said it anyway so that you wouldn't run out of reading material while you're having a 🍻

This one's on me 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You are accusing some of us for Patronizing...But you are doing the same...unsuccessfully.

My friendly personal opinion of course. 😉

*I love French People.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Just for the record, i was using Avsim and Flightsim long before i found flyaway but joined anyway. Solo and Liono, i stand firmly corrected !!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

What to do? If you can't beat them, join them - I was told. So I found myself a beautiful French flag, French because everybody hates the French

I guess your plan worked. You had a small signature but some around you had too large a signature. You made a plea for smaller signatures, that was ignored at first, that has been responded to by the site by listing new limits on the size of the signature. You did it! Your plea is now a rule. The rules should apply to everyone, cream of the crop or not. I believe that they will, moderators have not removed any signatures, yet.

I think that the moderators don't remove the flag avatars because they are seen as a symbol of pride of the country and people that they represent, not the governments. Although government and the flag seem to go hand in hand, I think that you can admire a country without approving of it's government.

Most people use the flag of their location or birth. You say that you use the flag of France because "everyone hates the French", I don't hate the French or any other country. Hating a country is like hating a race of people. You should not hate anyone but especially don't condemn an entire country for the acts of a few or the people in charge of the government. By choosing the French flag, for the reason you state, you want to be hated or may be you feel that you are hated so you align yourself with others that are hated. I don't want to be hated and even if I thought I was hated, the last thing I would want is to be associated with a hated group. Hate is bad. I would think that your locations Singapore flag would make more sense for you to display than the French flag but if your reason is to show solidarity with other hated people, I guess I see why.

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

all this talk about hate reminds me of an old honda advert...

Guest Guest

lenin wrote:

all this talk about hate reminds me of an old honda advert...

Hate something
change something
Hate something
change something
make something better

Is'nt it like bliss
when a diesal goes like this 😂

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

If your going to post as a guest at least think of a damn name to use. Otherwise your just another random guest and I could care less about what you have to say.

A pleasant response fro you Solotwo as always.

"I could care less" is a strange expression - you're expressing you do not give a damn about something, yet you are saying "I could care less" suggesting you do in fact care to begin with Wink

I am sure everyone else on here couldn't care less about what you have to say - as you never seem to have anything other than abuse to share with everyone anyway.

Pro Member Trainee
Mitchell Delaney (minicaptain) Trainee

hey solotwo, i did the exact same thing as you, if i wasnt so stupid that i didnt realise there were free places to download planes i might never have ended up here, but now im lovin it. 😎

Not all, I was never a guest. I paid my 5 bucks just so I could download crappy freeware, then decieded to start posting in the forums.

Jamie4590 Guest

There are much more posts here these days thjat have nothing to do with aviation but more with directing insults at each other. If you're frustrated take up kick boxing or demolish your garage instead of creating hostility and bad vibes. Lets see if today we can sneek some posts on to these forums that are actually related to flight simming. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol Jamie...

But this is the off topic board - for non flight sim posts 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

this is getting annoying now. so stop this rubbish posting to try and out smart the other person. Hope this gets locked soon.

Pro Member First Officer
earthqu8kes First Officer

Solotwo wrote:

Welshflyer wrote:

As Greekman said, we were all guests before becoming members! I posted many times as a guest before becoming a member and recieved nothing but cordiality,friendliness and some very helpful advice.that's why i felt i wanted to become a part of what is generally a very friendly, helpful site! I know there are the odd exceptions but i think these are really few and far between. That's why i try to emulate the good people that helped me, by being friendly and helpful to all, whether guest or member!

Not all, I was never a guest. I paid my 5 bucks just so I could download crappy freeware, then decieded to start posting in the forums.

ditto...my mistake that turned out to be a good one. i paid my five bucks and then realized i didnt know how to use downloads with FS9. so i came to the forums and asked.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

You are accusing some of us for Patronizing...But you are doing the same...unsuccessfully.

My friendly personal opinion of course. 😉

*I love French People.

I'm assuming you're directing this at me (cleverly disguised) - it's called sitting on a fence in English.

If this wasn't directed at me, just ignore it. On the other hand, if you want to argue and flame, take it to PMs. You know the rules... or do those rules not apply to you?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

*sigh*

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

lenin wrote:

this is getting annoying now. so stop this rubbish posting to try and out smart the other person. Hope this gets locked soon.

Sounds like you couldn't come up with something to outsmart anyone. 😂 😂 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

You are accusing some of us for Patronizing...But you are doing the same...unsuccessfully.

My friendly personal opinion of course. 😉

*I love French People.

I'm assuming you're directing this at me (cleverly disguised) - it's called sitting on a fence in English.

If this wasn't directed at me, just ignore it. On the other hand, if you want to argue and flame, take it to PMs. You know the rules... or do those rules not apply to you?

If you want to keep sniping at someone who is arguably, the most pleasant person on these forums, you will look very foolish.

By the way, I have no complaint about the size of your sig or your infatuation with the French, but please lose the dopey broad with the painted lips. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

You are accusing some of us for Patronizing...But you are doing the same...unsuccessfully.

My friendly personal opinion of course. 😉

*I love French People.

I'm assuming you're directing this at me (cleverly disguised) - it's called sitting on a fence in English.

If this wasn't directed at me, just ignore it. On the other hand, if you want to argue and flame, take it to PMs. You know the rules... or do those rules not apply to you?

Try to hit the TOP 3 post numbers...Then you will join the Elite of this site.
You are very close 😉

No Rules for the Elite. 😂 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

..but please lose the dopey broad with the painted lips. 🙄

I resent that Banned

How dare you call my fiancée a 'dopey broad' -- has the fire gone out of you?

Besides, her portrait is a work of art. Those of us with aristocratic background know how to appreciate art. Whistle

Jamie4590 Guest

If that was my fiancée I would be much to busy to find time for these forums. Or any forums. Or anything. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

If that was my fiancée I would be much to busy to find time for these forums. Or any forums. Or anything. 😀

The rest of her might be the size of Outer Mongolia for all you know 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Or, she might have a hairy chest. 😂

Jamie4590 Guest

She could be the size Russia and have a hairy back. Those lips more than compensate. 😳

All times are GMT Page 1 of 1

Related Questions