Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Solo #3

Pro Member Captain
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) Captain

Just completed flight lesson #13 today. My first out-of-pattern solo!! (my 3rd solo altogether) This puts me at 15 hours in my logbook.

This was the most fun I have had yet, by far, in my flight training. I was up there just looking out at the gorgeous Hudson Valley below on a gorgeous day thinking to myself: How could you not like flying???? Very Happy

I couldn't help but snap a picture with my camera -phone once I got up to 3000 feet. Here's the shot:

Only about a month's-worth of training left until I'm a licensed private pilot! (weather permitting Confused )

My advice to all of you: If you have a few thousand dollars tucked away, free time, and any desire to fly... Get out and do it!! It's the best decision you'll ever make. Cool

Last edited by Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total
Pro Member Captain
Faucett Captain

Bow Down

Congrats, your account of getting lessons is kicking my tail to do the same.

Cool

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

lol i cant go no more...my parents stopped paying the training fees....

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Congratulations... Very Happy Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Clapping Congratulations

Pro Member Chief Captain
Karlw Chief Captain

I start in december im so happy but I won't be flying for a long time yet alls i will say is wow! when I do my first solo Very Happy

CONGRATS!!! Clap

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Congratulations Ryan! Good luck with the rest of the training, you'll do just fine! Thumbs Up!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Congratulations!!! Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!

Soon I will start my flying lessons in a Piper TB-200, then TB-20, and finally Piper Seneca V Cool I can't wait!

At least I started with the simulator.... Razz

Pro Member Captain

Thanks guys! The comments, compliments, and regards are greatly appreciated! I will be sure to keep you updated throughout the remainder of my training. My next solo will be my first cross-country solo. (I'm a bit nervous about that one! Confused Shocked )

Also - I'm training in a Cessna 152, if you couldn't tell already. Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

lol

Very jealous of you matey - my plans for flight have been stalled. Shouldn't you be looking out the window though rather than taking pictures of yourself? Smile

Jamie4590 Guest

Great stuff. I envy you. Thumbs Up!

I hope you use hands-free! Big Grin

Pro Member Captain
earthqu8kes Captain

LUUUUUCKY... Laughing . im not old enough...so i hang around the airport and take pictures.

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Well done mate!

Ive had to put my lessons on hold for the time being due to lack of funds. Ive had approx 6 hours now but not had one for a few months.

Hopefully ill start them again in the next few months.

Pro Member Captain
lenin Captain

a few thousand dollars?????
I counted my money today and my funds stretch to 120. Thast it. my friend does flying lessons but only because he works on a farm and gets paid. i don't have a job yet (only 15) and since he lives on the farm it is unfair. i want to but i can't Sad

overbanked Guest

One question pilotguy:
Would you say that your hobby as a simulator pilot has helped you much in your goal of acquiring a pilot license? Did you come to your first class with a knowledge background that made your learning much easier? I ask because I often wonder how useful flightsims are as a learning experience. I might one day want to take a lesson or 2 myself.

For me:
Chart reading and navigation: A
Banks and turns: F (my VSI bobs up and down like a cork!)
Climbs: C
Transition: A
Cruise: C
Descents: B
Landing: D (I never get it right but at least I stay on the concrete.)
Airtraffic communication: N/A (I don't use it yet)

Whoops! I meant this as a separate topic. Sorry!

Pro Member Captain

Insight said:

Shouldn't you be looking out the window though rather than taking pictures of yourself?

..lol, I had a feeling someone would say that. Yes it would seem that way.. but there's a heck of lot less stuff to hit at 3000 feet than there is traveling down the road in your car. And we can all agree that people do a lot more stupid things than take pictures while they drive their cars! Laughing

overbanked said:

Would you say that your hobby as a simulator pilot has helped you much in your goal of acquiring a pilot license? Did you come to your first class with a knowledge background that made your learning much easier? I ask because I often wonder how useful flightsims are as a learning experience. I might one day want to take a lesson or 2 myself.

ahh! I am so glad someone asked this question! to answer your question simply.. YES!! i have been flight simming since version 95 was out. oh wow.. i couldn't have been much older than 8 or 9. ever since then I have progressively gotten better and more skilled at aviation. My knowledge of piloting had also grown tremendously before even stepping into a real plane for my first lesson. Microsoft flight simulator does an excellent job at re-creating the experience and does it very realistically. I was way ahead of my class when we all started back in august. Although we all had zero hours in our logbooks, I felt like i had been flying years before everyone else already. It really is great.

however, the only HUGE notable difference is getting a feel for your aircraft. there is no force feedback in Flight Simulator.. or at least none that give the real full and true experience a pilot will get. You must literally become "one with your aircraft." You must see and feel things before and as they happen. This is something that is hard to explain to someone who is not a real pilot, and is something a sim pilot cannot understand. I will be starting my instrument rating after my private license has been acquired. This will be sometime in mid-january. If there is one thing that microsoft flight simulator does extremely well, it is the preparation for instrument flight. I will be eons ahead of my class when we start instrument training, lol.

So to answer your question once again.. YES! flight simulator does a great job at preparing you for becoming a real pilot.. and it definitely helped me get a rather large jump-start when beginning my real-life training. I mean hey, not many pilots have done their first solo at 9.4 hours Wink. lol. Keep up your simming and look into getting licensed in real life.. it's one of the best, most fun things you can ever do if you like to fly. Cool

I hope that all of you take something helpful away from that too, not just overbanked Smile

Cheers! to flying!

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

CONGRATS PG!!! Nice to cya again!!!Awesome accomplishment.