SearchSearch 

Vista release date.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Vista will be released to consumers on January 30, 2007. (Source: ABC News)

15 Responses

Pro Member First Officer
oreo005 First Officer

😀 Not that long of wait.
Time passes fast for me in school.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Now that we're talking about vista; what is it that Vista is suppposed to deliver that people are anxiously waiting for?

When I read this I found myself thinking "who cares, I must say I am not the least bit interested in obtaining it. XP serves it's purpose well on my PC. I'll get it with my next PC or something, but Ill leave others to filter out the gazillion bugs the first release undoubtedly will have."

Then I stopped to realise that that wasn't really fair thinking, because I really don't know what new features Vista will bring us.

So here we go; "What is it about Vista that you are waiting on, (other than DX10 support, that I do know Wink) ?"

Flyer4000 Guest

I suppose it really depends on what someone likes to do with their PC. Someone who uses their computer for basics such as the internet then XP to vista might be pointless.

DX10 would be a big factor for gamers, but it will take a while for a good selection of DX10 games to appear. I'm under the impression that flight simulator x supports DX10.

Like every edition of Windows it should have some improvements other the previous version. Windows XP should still be enough for most for sometime to come. I will likely get a copy of Vista on release and I'm sure over time its benefits will be shine.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

One of the Vista features I keep reading about is an improved Search Tool. That could come in handy especially as HDD become larger.
Using the XP Search I sometimes wait up to 3 minutes to find one file. Way too long for my hectic life style 🙂)

Jamie4590 Guest

Tailhook wrote:

Using the XP Search I sometimes wait up to 3 minutes to find one file. Way too long for my hectic life style 🙂)

All while the 'helper' performs annoying animations like the dog scratching himself 😕 or the contortionist paper clip 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

What I'm wondering is:
If I upgrade to vista, will all my hardware be worthless?
For example, what about my keyboard and joystick, will I need new drivers for them? Or will there not be updates?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

What I'm wondering is:
If I upgrade to vista, will all my hardware be worthless?
For example, what about my keyboard and joystick, will I need new drivers for them? Or will there not be updates?

I doubt the stick will work without new updated software, it depends on the company.
I know mine won't (Sidewinder).
The rest should work.

Here run this.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

All while the 'helper' performs annoying animations like the dog scratching himself 😕 or the contortionist paper clip 😕

That Doggy is the first thing I get rid off. What a stupid idea... all that eyecandy eats up resources.

My XP looks exactly like Windows 95. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

My XP looks exactly like Windows 95. 😀

🍻 mine as well... Well, nearly...🙂

This 'userfriendly' interface has its drawbacks...Nothing more aggrevating than these 'convenient' features that are added to your startuplist without prompting, which you then need to remove manually again

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Wait till you all meet the new feature called User Access control (UAC)

IT can be turned off in your user profile in the control panel but it will drive you mad before you get that far lol

Basically prompts you to confirm just about everything you do from such mundane things as opening explorer to copying a file

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

GoodisonBlue wrote:

Wait till you all meet the new feature called User Access control (UAC)

IT can be turned off in your user profile in the control panel but it will drive you mad before you get that far lol

Basically prompts you to confirm just about everything you do from such mundane things as opening explorer to copying a file

You tryin' to scare us? I trust you know what you're talking about.

If Microsoft won't change this Micky Mouse attitude in future releases, that might just be the incentive for others to come up with a solution.

Who knows, maybe even LINUX will become so user-friendly that even mere mortals can use it.

This 'userfriendly' interface has its drawbacks...Nothing more aggrevating than these 'convenient' features that are added to your startuplist without prompting, which you then need to remove manually again

Couldn't agree more Surrender

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

It is MS' attempt to keep the computers of legions of truly clueless users from allowing their computers to become compromised by malware. If there were a requirement that computer users acually know what they are doing before connecting their computers to a public network, such draconian measures wouldn't be necessary.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The facts behind Jim Allchin's supposed statement about Vista and anti virus.
That is if anyone is interested in the facts.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2006/11/10/windows-vista-defense-in-depth.aspx

I've just bought this to use on my new (soon) machine and will use it on Vista if I can.

http://www.windowsonecare.com/

Dump that Norton crap (I've used it for nearly 11 years) junk!

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Dump that Norton crap (I've used it for nearly 11 years) junk!

I find it inspiring, refreshing and encouraging that after nearly 11 years you actually revised your thoughts and opinion regarding NAV.

The logical next step would be to contemplate the disaster that IE has been and still is.

What is it that makes us think - that Vista's IE is going to be better?
Oh, I know, it will look different, even nicer perhaps. It will have improved functions etc.. But what we're concerned with after all is security - or am I totally mistaken here?

I have asked this question on several occasions - so far no one has ever answered:
Why is it that when running IE and all the various little anti spyware tools MS publishes for us to use - why, when one of my scans uncovers some sort of spyware the path always leads to IE?

I know... BECAUSE the nasties enter through the browser.