still trying to figure out how to get those perfect landings

new simmer Guest

I hope some pne can help me again......

You know when you are approaching an airport to make a landing ....ATC acually guides you in and usually instruct you to go down most of the time to 2300 feet.......well that kinda makes it hard to pick up the glide slope.....while making an ILS landing ...especially that I am new at this and this is the only way I can land.......please tell me...what is the ideal altitude and speed before you pick up ILS to guide you in.......

Thanks so much
Sam

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Scott Archbold (Scotteiboi) Trainee

I come in at about 2600-3300 feet....look at the elevation, then judge your landing. 😀

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

new simmer wrote:

I hope some pne can help me again......

You know when you are approaching an airport to make a landing ....ATC acually guides you in and usually instruct you to go down most of the time to 2300 feet.......well that kinda makes it hard to pick up the glide slope.....while making an ILS landing ...especially that I am new at this and this is the only way I can land.......please tell me...what is the ideal altitude and speed before you pick up ILS to guide you in.......

Thanks so much
Sam

What plane are you flying?

A rule of thumb is to get the end of the runway lined up in your site and keep it constant in your view. If the end of the
runway starts to disappear under the nose of your plane you are coming in too high. If it moves towards the top of your view
you are coming in too steep.

Simply put fly towards the end of the runway and try to keep it constant.

new simmer Guest

thank you folks......I am flying the b737....and I am gonna try and do it now ......thanks again

Pro Member First Officer
Paiute First Officer

I add 1800 -- 2000 feet to the airport elevation. In most cases that will not be the final approach altitude shown on the approach plate, but it works for me. The plane may be below or above the glide slope for a while on final approach, but my planes still catch the glide slope at some point on final approach. 😛

How do you do it Guest

Hi all

I am thinking of buyin FS 2004 or 2003 but i only have a pent 3 laptop. I have an interest in flying but have never flown a plane, how hard is this game to pick up and learn.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

How do you do it wrote:

Hi all

I am thinking of buyin FS 2004 or 2003 but i only have a pent 3 laptop. I have an interest in flying but have never flown a plane, how hard is this game to pick up and learn.

When you first load the Sim there is a 5 minute video, I watched that and took off and landed my first time. I'm hooked big time.
If your computer is up to it get it. It's available for very low prices now with rebate.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
David (The-GPS-Kid) Captain

To the guy trying to perfect landings:-

I reckon your altitude is about right for Approach using ILS, the main thing you need to concentrate on is entering the Glideslope from below it....

If you're having trouble with the Glideslope, I'd say it's more likely to be to do with your Approach speed.... some autopilots will lose the Glideslope if you reach it too fast..... But even without AutoPilot, coming into Approach too fast will always cause problems.

For self positioning on the ILS give 300 feet for every mile as a rule of thumb. Therefore if the DME is indicating 6 miles come in at 1800 feet (6 miles x 300 feet). Make your ROD for 130knots 130 x 5= 650 feet per minute. For 150knots 750fpm 100knots 500fpm. This will keep you on the glide without much messing about with power settings.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...