Direct X 10 & Vista

Pro Member Trainee
RICHARD752 Trainee

I was going to purchase a new PCI express video card, but I read that
the new direct x is coming out. There was a article claiming that you need a video card that uses direct x 10.
My question here is this,
Flight Sim X and directx 10? I also understand that Direct x 10 only
is designed for windows vista?
Hoping to clear it up?
Thanks

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Guest Guest

Direct 10 is not essential yet, but will eventually replace DX9 in the long future. Nvidias 8800 is the only present GFX card to be Direct 10 ready. Although these 8800 cards only serve as a DX9 boast atm because Direct X 10 is vista only. Vista will be able to run both DX9 and DX10, so such a card is not essential yet. Also its going to take sometime for Games supporting Direct 10 to become avaliable. However as far as I'm aware Flight Simulator does support Direct 10, so with Vista and DX10 hardware it could get alot better (hopefully).

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

Let me try and shed some light on it for you.

Vista uses DX10. DX10 changes the way graphics are rendered. DX10 pushes rendering to the GPU (video card).

DX9 uses both CPU and GPU to render graphics.

DX10 however, is pointless unless you have a DX10 video card.

If you have Vista (DX10) but are using a DX9 card, you will get DX9 graphics as DX10 is backward compliant.

If you want DX10 graphics then a combination of Vista and a DX10 card are required.

So, if you are planning on getting Vista in the next few months then hold out for a DX10 card. They are available now but prices are £300 upwards.

Pro Member Trainee
RICHARD752 Trainee

Thank you for the replys! I understand and that is why I really like to wait until I upgrade. I currently have a x800 ati card pci express.

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

If I may, let me link you to some info that I read from the same link elsewhere, that what posted by the one and only RM.............

http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/391

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...